My Dream Gadget Just released - Garmin G500 TXi

JohnB

18 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Great detailed update JohnB!

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

-a-

Hope to have additional input when I get my plane back next week from its TXi upgrade, just in time for Oshkosh.  New panel is completed and the rewiring is just about done.  Supposed to be Tuesday, but you know how that goes...

Will supply pictures of the final product.  It's a little different from those above.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, JohnB said:

And @donkaye I would also +1 highly recommend putting your PFD on the right, and your MFD on the left @donkaye , my setup as well.

Can't do it because of offset from center line of yoke that would put the PFD.  Wouldn't meet spec.  So PFD on left and MFD on right.  It's really the way I prefer it anyway.  I'm used to reaching over with my right hand to change the heading.

7 hours ago, donkaye said:

Can't do it because of offset from center line of yoke that would put the PFD.  Wouldn't meet spec.  So PFD on left and MFD on right.  It's really the way I prefer it anyway.  I'm used to reaching over with my right hand to change the heading.

@JohnB I put a video review which is essentially my PIREP worth 56,640,000 words.  I arrived at this worth using the standard a picture is worth a thousand words valuation.  My video is 1,888 seconds long, 30 frames per second, times 1,000 :) . I will link it below for simplicity.

Don:  In my video you can see I swapped it back to the standard PFD on the left.  I wanted to try it both ways and after doing that, I can still say I prefer the right twist, it is just more convenient.  I found myself tapping full screen PFD and twisting with my right hand.  So tapping fulll screen, twisting, and then tapping MFD button to bring the MFD back if you need it is going to be my preferred method if I keep it this way.  I am trying to talk myself into keeping it this way since it is the traditional setup.  Switching back and forth only takes less than a minute for an installer to do for anyone that wanted to try both configurations.

17 hours ago, donkaye said:

Hey Don!  I get it, the traditional setup of the G500 is left PFD and right MFD, which your scan is probably used to as mine was as my gtn is on the right side and my flight instruments (round ones) were on the left. I originally had mine set up that way but changed it before I picked it up after thinking about it. Took me no time to get used to one non PFD display on the left. The way I designed my panel, full screen my pfd is dead centered, and split screen its just a little right of center, but since you're not getting the EIS, and you're probably putting your engine MVP on either the right or the left, your shift may be different.

Well its pilot's preference on that one but knobs made my choice for me. I personally like always being able to change heading/alt/barometer always with my right hand, and right hand knob, as I was used to flying with my trusty altitude preselect on the right using my left hand to control the yoke while pushing buttons or turning knobs.  I rarely if ever even touch the left hand knob for anything. That way my right hand knob will always control flight functions, whereas with PFD on the left, you can only change them with the right hand knob in full screen mode. I would find it kind of clunky to adjust the left hand knob with my left hand or adjusting the left knob with my right hand around my yoke for a twister like maneuver in the cockpit which I think would be very very clunky, but if you're used to it, that's cool too. In my busy ATC area,  I always get very high speed  altitude and course changes which i now can do VERY quickly with my right hand on the right knob in full or half screen while flying with my left hand.  Don't know how you two do it quickly if the flight control knob is on the left, but whatever works is all good!

And @Rmag! Nice video! I too noted the black line that goes across the screen when I try to take video pictures of my TXi which is a mystery to me too. if you figure out how to solve that, let me know please!

Oh and @donkaye I used the tip you told me about the trend circle during some recent formation flying and it works perfectly! So here's Don's tip everyone. if you're making a steep turn (or any turn) if you keep the flight trend circle on the artificial horizon as you're turning, you won't climb or descend and you can do whatever degree of bank turn you wish and you'll wind up at the same altitude on rollout. Very nice. And yes, the standard rate turn indication changes with your airspeed.

29 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

To prevent the black bars or bands, change the video shutter rate, slower shutter speeds won’t capture the screen refreshing.

Ditto if you want to blur out the prop. Don’t know if you can do that with a digital camera.

Yep, correct. One way to do it with a GoPro is to put a Neutral Density Filter on the camera. They are easy to find on Amazon for a few bucks. It will take the prop out of the picture or solve the black bands on the screens.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yep, correct. One way to do it with a GoPro is to put a Neutral Density Filter on the camera. They are easy to find on Amazon for a few bucks. It will take the prop out of the picture or solve the black bands on the screens.

Just bought a neutral filter from Amazon, I’ll try it, and I’ll see if I can adjust the shutter speed on my VIRB as well and I’m wondering if the prop filter I have will work... well lots of things to try.. thanks guys!

5 hours ago, JohnB said:

Just bought a neutral filter from Amazon, I’ll try it, and I’ll see if I can adjust the shutter speed on my VIRB as well and I’m wondering if the prop filter I have will work... well lots of things to try.. thanks guys!

The prop filter should work as well. Basically they act by darkening the picture just a bit. That forces the camera to compensate by slowing the shutter which restores the light. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 1:50 PM, Airways said:

Did anybody install a G500 txi 7” in portrait mode in a J or K ? Is that possible ? Preferably centered with the yoke. 

Rmag’s tremendously detailed response:  not sure if anyone has done it yet in a J or K.  Yes it is possible.  Preference is also possible. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 7:01 AM, gsxrpilot said:

The prop filter should work as well. Basically they act by darkening the picture just a bit. That forces the camera to compensate by slowing the shutter which restores the light. 

Bingo!  Thanks. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, JohnB said:

Hey Don!  I get it, the traditional setup of the G500 is left PFD and right MFD, which your scan is probably used to as mine was as my gtn is on the right side and my flight instruments (round ones) were on the left. I originally had mine set up that way but changed it before I picked it up after thinking about it. Took me no time to get used to one non PFD display on the left. The way I designed my panel, full screen my pfd is dead centered, and split screen its just a little right of center, but since you're not getting the EIS, and you're probably putting your engine MVP on either the right or the left, your shift may be different.

I flew for a couple weeks with the traditional PFD on the left, and flew for a couple with it on the right.  I finally settled on the untraditional on the right.  I just use the right knob for the PFD so much it felt too awkward to use the left knob in split screen for the PFD.

Although if I was in Don's situation now that I see his panel, I would go with the PFD on the left in his plane.  I would just always go full screen to twist the right knob.

On 7/24/2018 at 12:54 PM, Rmag said:

I flew for a couple weeks with the traditional PFD on the left, and flew for a couple with it on the right.  I finally settled on the untraditional on the right.  I just use the right knob for the PFD so much it felt too awkward to use the left knob in split screen for the PFD.

Although if I was in Don's situation now that I see his panel, I would go with the PFD on the left in his plane.  I would just always go full screen to twist the right knob.

Its personal preference.But with PFD on the right, and MFD on the left, I like that the right knob ALWAYS controls the PFD in full or split mode, and the left knob controls the MFD (split mode). Don has lots of gadgets on his left side so I see why he chose his setup.

I have been using my left knob a lot recently for my MFD, as I discovered the left knob large knob full left gets you the map, full right gets you your engine screen, and full left -1 gets you traffic. So it makes 4 screens very easily accessible by the large knob on the left. (Map and engine, followed by traffic being my 3 most common MFD screens)

I know these products are expensive, but having flown to Oshkosh and on the way back now (spending a couple of days based in Rapid City right now; Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, Sturgess) they are just a dream to fly with.  It's taken a little time to get acquainted with the G500 TXi transitioning from the G500, but now that I have, I can say that the transition is like the transition from the 696 to the 796.  Once you've done it you can't remember the older product.  Getting to the information you want is much faster.

Yesterday was a good example of using the equipment.  The previous night the Prog Charts indicated convection and probable nasty weather along the route from Sioux Falls to Rapid City.  I got a good briefing before the flight (if weather is predicted I want a live person to do it in addition to a self briefing) and a convective sigmet was predicted near the end of the trip.  I asked for the lifted index and K factor and they were given as -2 and 28.  These are good predictors of convection and these numbers were not good.  There were several airports along the route as backups to problems so we launched.  I had different weather pictures on the TXi, 750, 650, 796 and iPad that gave me a total picture of what was happening.  The trip was smooth as silk with clouds starting to build the last 10 minutes of the flight, once again proving that flying early in the morning is usually best.

As predicted, however, given the input from the heat of the sun in the late afternoon to get the fireworks going, on our way back from the Badlands in the late afternoon, the thunderstorms were huge.  It was nice to be seeing them from the ground.  And so the trip continues.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s an example of how I think the HSI map is useful on the TXi. Here’s me flying over a field with a plethora of windmills. Sure, these would be displayed if I had a terrain map up in one of my displays but it’s nice to have here always in front of you on your HSI in case you happen to be looking at some other mfd screen like traffic or chart etc.

335AA14D-61D8-4522-8D3E-FA520D94C73B.jpeg

926F2463-F351-4A3E-8DA1-09388A6D4AEA.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2017 at 4:56 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I'm pretty close though.  While watching the KFC150 keeping the needles centered on the approach, I loaded and armed the altitude target and rate of climb for the missed. I also selected Direct to: and the first waypoint on the Missed. Upon reaching Minimums I just push one button on the Altitude pre/select and one button on the IFD540 and shove the throttle forward. Once positive rate of climb is verified, clean up the gear, flaps, and sit back and watch it sequence the missed and fly the hold. I never touched the yoke or the pedals.

Two button pushes and the throttle isn't too bad for my 1987 piston single to sequence and fly a missed.

Just curious, is altitude preselect coming from your KFC150 or do you have the Aspen solution?

• Like 1