Stuck on Sarasota, FL

thomas1142

Beautiful flight down from Destin FL. Enjoyed a couple of hours sight seeinG. Now for the problem.

when I engaged the battery switch I got this real loud sound like welding torches. I removed the access panel to the avionics bay just to see if I could isolate the problem, no luck. This happens immediately after flipping the battery switch on. 

MX Guy can’t look at it till tomorrow.

any ideas?

I got stuck at KDTS a couple of months ago due to a starter that died.  It was raining and there was nobody interested in doing a hand prop, but it might be something to consider if the circumstances are right. May not be an option for your situation.... Just sayin.

Anyway, the guys at Lynx on the north end of the field installed a new starter, but in the mean time due to work commitments I had to drive home and back to Destin the next week to pick her up.

Verify there is no a short on the output side of the battery relay. A short will cause the relay to drop and reconnect due to the voltage drop caused by the short. Eventually the relay contacts will just burn. Before replacing the relay verify there is no short. Check for chafing of the relay cable going to the CB panel.

José

• Like 1

There should be many suppliers for the master relay, starter relay,  and other relays that we have....

https://mooneyspace.com/search/

Lasar probably has these things on the shelf.

Use caution, as Piloto mentioned.  It may be a worn relay, or it might be a short, further downstream...

Keep us in the loop...

Best regards,

-a-

This was my first experience with maintenance issues away from home field. To make the long story short, the problem was the Kissling Relay. The biggest issue I had during this experience was the lack, and total refusal, of Rectrix North FBO to provide any type of assistance. So this post will now turn into a pirep of that FBO.

When I first experienced this issue it was 4:20 pm, 20 minutes past the quilting time of the maintenance man. They refused to call him back. The staff call their main FBO office also located on the field, Rectrix Aviation. The main mechanic said he was to busy to drive across the field. I asked for a power cart so I would not drain the battery trying to trouble shoot. I was told it was it was against company policy to provide power. I asked if they power carts, they did, but would not provide them to airplanes needing power, figure that out.

I then contacted Dolphin Aviation, they were FANTASTIC. They coordinate with filed operations and towed me all the way across the field to their ramp area. It was now around 9:00 pm. They also had earlier provided the phone number and name of a mechanic.  In the morning they towed the plane to the mechanic, when I called around 9:00 am he had already figured out the issue. Problem was that the part was ordered from the factory and would arrive the next day. It did and we were on our way in less than two hours. Sarasota Aviation was also very helpful in this issue.

NEVER will I visit Rectrix North FBO. Dolphin Aviation did not charge anything for the tows they provided nor any ramp fees for the night. 

Dang part was very costly, a tad bit over 1 amu installed.

• Like 3

Glad you got it going.   It is at least a $250.00 part depending on where you source it from.  Constant duty relays are way more expensive and they need to be to last.  After working with a flleet of 250 mixer trucks with constant duty relays for the 2 way radios, I will never install a metal can solenoid for use as constant duty.  

On 10/26/2017 at 10:57 PM, thomas1142 said:

This was my first experience with maintenance issues away from home field. To make the long story short, the problem was the Kissling Relay. The biggest issue I had during this experience was the lack, and total refusal, of Rectrix North FBO to provide any type of assistance. So this post will now turn into a pirep of that FBO.

When I first experienced this issue it was 4:20 pm, 20 minutes past the quilting time of the maintenance man. They refused to call him back. The staff call their main FBO office also located on the field, Rectrix Aviation. The main mechanic said he was to busy to drive across the field. I asked for a power cart so I would not drain the battery trying to trouble shoot. I was told it was it was against company policy to provide power. I asked if they power carts, they did, but would not provide them to airplanes needing power, figure that out.

I then contacted Dolphin Aviation, they were FANTASTIC. They coordinate with filed operations and towed me all the way across the field to their ramp area. It was now around 9:00 pm. They also had earlier provided the phone number and name of a mechanic.  In the morning they towed the plane to the mechanic, when I called around 9:00 am he had already figured out the issue. Problem was that the part was ordered from the factory and would arrive the next day. It did and we were on our way in less than two hours. Sarasota Aviation was also very helpful in this issue.

NEVER will I visit Rectrix North FBO. Dolphin Aviation did not charge anything for the tows they provided nor any ramp fees for the night. 

Dang part was very costly, a tad bit over 1 amu installed.

We landed at dolphin.  No ramp or fuel fees. Just 15-20/night for parking. I really liked everone there. 

• Like 1