Window Screws

I just noticed a bunch of my window screws on the side windows were not real tight.  A couple dont even seem to be threaded at all and Im suprised the screw hasnt just fallen out since I can pull it out with my fingers.

Before I take out the interior windows trim (again).  Whats on the back of those screws?  A nut?  A nut plate?  Threads in something?

20171017_124329.jpg

Normally AN960 washers and AN365-832 nuts and in  several places are small clips which hold the plastic window trim.  They should not be really tight otherwise the window may crack, but you shouldn't be able to pull them out with your fingers.  I'd bet those have no nut on the inside.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

I think it depends of the model year.

I replaced side windows (with one large aft window like J) on my '67F but that was 10+ years ago. If I remember correctly, there are sheet metal retainers with nutplates attached on the inside, under the interior window trim. I think couple were removed with window mod and are somewhere in my hangar.

I really don't recall nuts and washers. I might be able to find some pictures on my computer and post them...

Regards,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

The old lock nuts might be responsible for falling off.

They don't age well, or they can only be tightened once..?

So if you go in there bring a handful of new locknuts with you...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

yep I replaced them with new

• Like 1