ADSB Tracking

McMooney

And FlightAware isn't the only company doing ADS-B reception, so you'd have to negotiate with all the aggregators to get your data blocked. I know when I setup my ADS-B receiver at home it gave me 4 different providers to feed data to and there's probably more than that.

There is a list the FAA publishes with the 2 classes of ADS-B data consumers available. Many are commercial operations, flight schools, etc. who have a legitimate reason for tracking. Others like FlightAware and FlightRadar are selling services tied to it.

The NBAA was very active a few years ago to push through legislation that converted the old BARR program to the current FAA’s Aircraft Situation Display to Industry (ASDI) Block program. If you do the full block on the FAA site, all of these will not receive the data feed.

And despite claims by some like FlightAware, if you go for the partial block, they don’t give you access to your plane’s data for free (in other words, although others can’t see your flight data, neither can you unless you pay for it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

11 hours ago, jonhop said:

You mean ForeFlight doesn't have an automatic logging feature? Not that I'm a Garmin Pilot fan boy but I have to delete log entries based upon me driving by an airport to my hanger at another airport...

It does and I use it, but I'm not always using my airplane or my IPad.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

There is a list the FAA publishes with the 2 classes of ADS-B data consumers available. Many are commercial operations, flight schools, etc. who have a legitimate reason for tracking. Others like FlightAware and FlightRadar are selling services tied to it.

The thing is, at the end of the day the FAA data feed and any associated blocking is becoming increasingly irrelevant. FlightAware has over 10,000 receivers around the world, 6,000 in the US and over time will almost certainly have better coverage than the FAA radar and ground station network considering anyone with $100, a view of the sky and an internet connection can put a receiver up. Certainly FlightAware could agree to some form of blocking from their network with the FAA/NBAA(or people who just pay them to block their aircraft), but I doubt that all the different receiver networks, including several based outside the US will play along.

The thing is, at the end of the day the FAA data feed and any associated blocking is becoming increasingly irrelevant. FlightAware has over 10,000 receivers around the world, 6,000 in the US and over time will almost certainly have better coverage than the FAA radar and ground station network considering anyone with $100, a view of the sky and an internet connection can put a receiver up. Certainly FlightAware could agree to some form of blocking from their network with the FAA/NBAA(or people who just pay them to block their aircraft), but I doubt that all the different receiver networks, including several based outside the US will play along.

And this is where the data privacy laws are coming into play. Parts of the world have some pretty rigid privacy laws already in place and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in this arena.

We already have data privacy issues with tracking cookies on the internet and who knows what other information is being gathered and by whom. I’m sure there are some people of importance out there who have no desire to be tracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this is where the data privacy laws are coming into play. Parts of the world have some pretty rigid privacy laws already in place and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in this arena.

We already have data privacy issues with tracking cookies on the internet and who knows what other information is being gathered and by whom. I’m sure there are some people of importance out there who have no desire to be tracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a related topic, what's Mooneyspace policy on posting of tail numbers, or what should it be? I've seen tail numbers posted by non owners, talk about being tracked.

On 10/20/2017 at 5:32 AM, McMooney said:

I understand the benefits of ADSB, I love being able to see traffic BEFORE being informed by ATC.  Def get it.

Really not comfortable with people at work telling me where and when I've flown.  

Now that's just people I know.  

You must work with other pilots: those are the only people that care, or so I’ve found!

either that, or lawyers... luckily they haven’t found me.... yet.

just kidding, kind of. ;)