Cincinnati to Denver

nels

Well, I screwed that up. I tried to cancel a response I started and walla, the entire post is gone!! Damn!

Oh well, I appreciate all the information you guys provided. I'll probably pick a Denver airport when I stop for fuel about half way through the trip. Depending on winds and runway direction. Also, my son is willing to pick me up at any airport, even if it's 50 miles away.

Another couple questions: is there a rule of thumb for leaning while landing and taking off at the 5000 ft altitude. Also, should I be concerned about runway length when taking off with a full tank of fuel and my son on board? Between the two of us and luggage we won't be over 400 lbs.

Most of the runways in Denver will be 8,000 to 10,000 ft. You might use half of that. So don't worry about it. Just stay on the ground until your ASI says you're going fast :-) If you look out the window, you'll think you're going too fast, but trust the ASI.

I would lean on the ground for max power. But then richen it up while on the take off roll or the cylinders will get hot quickly. 

Note where you are on the mixture at full throttle, 6000 ft and climbing. Measure with your finger. Go to the same place as you start the take off roll, then go more rich for cooling but back to that point as you build airspeed and climb out.

Have fun. I've been all over the Rocky Mountains in my C and it works just fine.

1 hour ago, peevee said:

we don't close on the new plane for a week or better, if you want to borrow our hangar at BJC for a couple nights it shouldn't be a big deal. Save you ramp fees and the SS fuel is reasonable. Once the new plane is here you gotta go however.

Thanks for the offer. I had written a reply yesterday but it got deleted with the rest. Definitely appreciate the thought though.

I ended up flying into Front Range as it had two perpendicular runways to cover the potential wind problem and they were both incredibly long and very wide. Their 100 LL is under 4.50/gal and the tie down is $5 /day. I got in the air about 9:15 AM this morning, stopped on the east side of Kansas City, Lees Summit (boy was it windy) and gas was 4.08/gal, then flew into Denver Front Range. Did flight following the entire trip which was reassuring. Probably head home with my son Thursday morning. I'll post more when I get home. So far a great experience!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nels,

you need to click the proper button in your flight aware settings to show all your flights to you.

Everyone else that has clicked that button sees your flights.

Or post your tail number, and I’ll post a link....:)

Best regards,

-a-

i just figured it out. Thanks for the offer.

Edited by nels
  • Like 1