Joining the Mooney club - M20C

I was unsuccessful with all attempts to go measurably LOP in my C for several years, regardless of RPM, throttle position and carb heat use.

Then I spent two annuals resurrecting my doghouse, and voila! I can go 25°LOP pretty much at will, sometimes more, with my normal cruise throttle and RPM (throttle backed off just enough to make the MP needle wiggle / 2500) and no messing with carb heat required. 

Now I need to study up on LOP, which I have mostly ignored as incompatible with my Mooney, and see what works and what to avoid. But the speed does drop off . . . Need to go somewhere and check fuel usage, no fuel flow installed.

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome

17 hours ago, Drumstick said:

That looks like Rusty's M20C at W75!   Rusty has done a great job taking care of my M20C.  I highly recommend getting some hours and short field practice before attempting W75 on your own.  

You are indeed correct, this was Rusty's bird.  He's done an excellent job taking care of her, and I'm really pleased to have been able to buy it.  I actually have 1 takeoff and landing at the controls in W75 with Rusty's CFI during my test flight, brought her down at 80~83 MIAS on final, touched down around 78.  Really stoked about this bird.

It was probably 5-7 mias high, but that day was a bit gusty, touched down with only TO flaps.  No bouncing or excess floating, but it took probably 50 feet more than it should have for the tires to get good traction, lots of little "chirps".  Was still at full stop in half the runway.

EDIT:  Speaking of CFI time... Does anyone know a mooney CFI in range of the Richmond area who would be able to help me pick up some dual instruction hours next week?  I'm taking weds/thurs/fri off for my birthday, and my regular CFI is booked solid those days.

Edited by ShuRugal

1 hour ago, ShuRugal said:

It was probably 5-7 mias high, but that day was a bit gusty, touched down with only TO flaps.  No bouncing or excess floating, but it took probably 50 feet more than it should have for the tires to get good traction, lots of little "chirps".  Was still at full stop in half the runway.

EDIT:  Speaking of CFI time... Does anyone know a mooney CFI in range of the Richmond area who would be able to help me pick up some dual instruction hours next week?  I'm taking weds/thurs/fri off for my birthday, and my regular CFI is booked solid those days.

Unfortunately I will be on the road with my bird during that time but if you need a CFI with M20C experience in the future  shoot me an IM.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ShuRugal said:

Check http://themooneyflyer.com/ for a listing of Mooney specific instructors in the back of the current month's magazine. You should find someone close to you in there.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2017 at 9:07 PM, ShuRugal said:

Central Virginia.  Please forgive me if I prefer not to be more specific.  I'm in Network Security, and paranoia is an occupational hazard...

Absolutely.  Add RPM before MP, remove MP before RPM.  The engine in this bird was overhauled ~250 hours ago, I don't plan on blowing the heads off and wasting that value ;)

I'm sure you realize everything in the FAA is public info, including your name, address, etc on your certificate and aircraft registration.

25 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'm sure you realize everything in the FAA is public info, including your name, address, etc on your certificate and aircraft registration.

Certainly, but no need to plaster it all over the web in a way that passive/automated trawling can make easy use of.

Security doesn't mean being unhackable, it just means being harder to hack than the next target of equal or greater value.

I went with the alpha inertial reel system on the pilots side and I’m fairly happy with it. Cheapest source is probably eBay when they have the 8-10 percent ebucks. I tried to ask for a discount going direct with the company but it was a huge hassle and I only saved a few dollars. 

• Like 1

The bulletproof O360 was named when smoking was considered healthy... everybody was doing it...

An engine monitor would be a great way to identify a sticking valve before you are descending with a stuck valve pounding the piston.

This doesn't happen to everyone all the time.  But you can look up valve maintenance procedures and realize what bulletproof means to different people.

my O360 stuck an exhaust valve on departure... it was able to maintain altitude and return to landing at the airport, near sea level.

Funny, nobody was wearing seatbelts back then either...

Times have changed.

+1 on seatbelts.

+1 on engine monitors.

+1 On CO monitors as well.

MS affords us the ability to see what has happened to planes similar to ours. No need to rely on old wives tails...  OWTs

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I've owned my "D" model for less than a year. I agree with the repetitive recommendation of shoulder belts and a digital engine monitor. Make sure you get a monitor that can log data. I had the Insight G1 installed with carb temp option and quickly realized I should have went with the G2 model or higher. The G1 is a great monitor but I can't log data. Congratulations on your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk