Hangar space in DC area

jasona900

I will be traveling to the DC area for 30-45 days starting next week.  I am considering flying myself, but have had limited luck finding a hangar.  The best rate I have found thus far is at Manasas at $500 a month. 

I figured it would be worth a shot asking here if someone has some extra room they could spare? 

1 hour ago, BKlott said:

Did you try Shannon Airport (KEZF) down near Fredericksburg? They had hangar space available the last time I flew in there. Cafe and museum on the field. Nice people too.

I have not tried them, but will call tomorrow.  Thank you for the info!

+1 for the KEZF recommendation.  Great bunch of guys up there.  I took my LSA practical with the airport manager, Jerry, and had the pre-buy for my C-model done by an IA who operates out of there, Lloyd.  The FBO staff have all been great to deal with every time i've been there, as well.

Short term unfortunately that's about right for the closer in airports.

if someone locally wants to move an airplane to a further out airport and make $200 a week for a bit, that's a possibility.  If my airplane were in the shop or out of town, I'd offer my hanger at GAI.

EZF has inexpensive fuel too for the area - the only issue is the distance from DC.  There is the light rail that takes you right to DC.  In no traffic, about an hour - in holiday traffic - four hours.  My in laws are in Fredericksburg and I'm on the north side of DC in Maryland. 

Call ALL the local airports, including Dulles, and see if there's a spot open in a shared hanger for less than the $500 per month.  I doubt it close in, but you may get a spot behind a turboprop, business jet,. or something that recently moved out.

Good luck!  I know a 414 that moved out of a shared hanger at GAI last month as well as a larger hanger that is currently vacant but can fit 2-3 shorter airplanes.  They may be able to make a deal on a 30-45 day rental.  PM me your number and I can get you in touch with the main guy that runs the hangers at GAI.

-Seth

3 hours ago, Seth said:

Short term unfortunately that's about right for the closer in airports.

if someone locally wants to move an airplane to a further out airport and make $200 a week for a bit, that's a possibility.  If my airplane were in the shop or out of town, I'd offer my hanger at GAI.

EZF has inexpensive fuel too for the area - the only issue is the distance from DC.  There is the light rail that takes you right to DC.  In no traffic, about an hour - in holiday traffic - four hours.  My in laws are in Fredericksburg and I'm on the north side of DC in Maryland. 

Call ALL the local airports, including Dulles, and see if there's a spot open in a shared hanger for less than the $500 per month.  I doubt it close in, but you may get a spot behind a turboprop, business jet,. or something that recently moved out.

Good luck!  I know a 414 that moved out of a shared hanger at GAI last month as well as a larger hanger that is currently vacant but can fit 2-3 shorter airplanes.  They may be able to make a deal on a 30-45 day rental.  PM me your number and I can get you in touch with the main guy that runs the hangers at GAI.

-Seth

Seth,

Thank you for the offer.. but looks like I will be leaving the Mooney behind on this trip.  Just couldn't swing a hangar below $500 in the area, and had to buy commercial air tickets.  EZF was an option, but as you said, over an hour away from where I was going to stay.  

Jason

Good luck on the hunt. I'd recommend taking a look at Potomac KVKX, however their hangars are not just "offered". When open the owner puts them on ebay to bid on the monthly rent, and the bidding starts at $400. I dont believe there are any open right now.

I'm looking to maybe move from there, because I live a bit west in NOVA and although its 18 miles away from home, some days that drive can take 90 minutes. So I'm looking at manassas or somewhere else for a tiedown

Really wish we had rates like out in central missouri. $75 a month for a hangar. Out here I'd even build a hangar somewhere to use it for free and pass it to the airport when I die or move.