A pilots decision regarding engine instruments

what the largest variables are for you when shopping for multi function primary replacement engine systems like the EDM-930 or...let's say..the MVP-50P?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. what the largest variables are for you when shopping for multi function primary replacement engine systems like the EDM-930 or...let's say..the MVP-50P?

I am not looking for one of these, but if I were I would buy the one that offered the best value. As for the poll, I say "all of the above".

First I would check the manufacturer's reputation for quality, performance and service then I would compare features and function. Easy of use and interpretation of the displays are very important when so much information in presented.   

I typed too long to be the first to answer....

When selecting an expensive piece of technology (expensive meaning, I can't afford a do-over), I am looking at total installed price and functionality.  With complex items such as the MFDs there is a deaper challenge in decision making that comes in. 

I place an overweight in my decision tree towards the tried in true.  First hand experience weighs very heavily, followed by shared experience from other mooney owners/users (aka mooneyspace, mapa, etc.)

What's important to me today.

I use my plane for flight in IMC.  It would need to meet the requirements of the government and this harsh environment.  For engine instruments, this is probably not as critical as a PFD.  If my engine instruments go blank in IMC, I can land without incident.  If my PFD goes blank, that could be disastrous. 

Accurate fuel information is an important detail.  If my tanks run dry because of a calibration faliure in the MFD, I may have found out too late that I chose the wrong brand.  (I usually don't fly until empty on either tank...)

Number of units in the field seems to be important.  Nothing beats collective actual user experiences.

When I was an M20C owner, I was looking to purchase these types of instruments.  Just because the C was missing data and the data that was available came through old and worn mechanical devices.  With the M20R, not so much.

I am glad you asked...

Best regards,

-a-

Now about the fish...it says something about how your company is run and its level of ethics that I find interesting.

Yeah, as a market researcher I would tell you the survey question was going to be a challenge since they are all important, and many of them equally important. So I answered it as though you'd asked "what's the FIRST thing you consider when purchasing a unit" and for me that is experience with the manufacturer. Since I have a JPI-700 installed, I know how that unit functions, I know what to expect when I hit the buttons, so I would think my learning curve would be quicker in adapting to the new device. I also trust them because my current unit has been trustworthy (so far). That isn't to say the other units don't have merit or superior features, but I would look to JPI first because of my current experience.

I would also like to know what it is with these fish!

While I would like the analyzer shown in your avatar, or one like it, there is no space in my panel to put something that large. I'm not sure that I could put in even a UBG-16 or the like without making a new panel overlay to rearrange things and make room. So that's a prime consideration for me. I'm not ready to yank out my tach and MP/FP gauge to replace with a box.

1. Will it fit?

2. What unit has the most bang for the buck? for my specific application, 4 cylinders and a carbereuter.

There's still something to be said for an analog gauge. I can tell at a glance where the hand is, but reading a number takes more time and greater concentration. A speed tape would drive me nuts--speed goes up and down, but nothing changes on the display, it's always in the same location. Your fancy analyzer combines the two, and that's legitimate. Options that don't apply to my situation don't count, even though I will have to pay for them. [Lean finder . . . I find it when the engine runs rough, or when the EGT needle starts moving the other way.]

Brings to mind the old saying, "You can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

I yanked out my MP and Tach - and all the engine gauges, and the old fuel totalizer, and an old EDM711, and probably a couple of other things, and it all goes in one box where it is in my scan during instrument, and it all actually works. Really well.  Now, not saying that is a simple thing to do, and it does require either replacing or patching sections of your metal panel.  Replacing at least the pilot side panel is better cause it lets you reorient after removing about half the stuff.  But it is certainly an improvement from the little strip gauges for temps and pressures that have the lights out anyway, and the MP and RPM way over on the co-pilot side, etc. 

I have to say all of the above also, although reliability and usefulness, STC so the plane is legal, and overall readability are the most important. 

Having just gone through this, I can say that all of the things on your list were important. Of most interest was PIREPS from actual owners. What tipped me in favor of your product was actually a product demo and hands on time with both the EDM 930 and yours. I would have checked out the Auracle too, but they didn't bother to show up at the AOPA Summit. What sold me on your unit was the user interface. I have never liked the EDM 700 in my plane and the 930 kind of carries on like that. Your made more sense to me. Unfortunately, I can't offer a PIREP yet because it still isn't installed, but I am talking with the folks at Executive Autopilots at KSAC about it. They have been the most responsive about my project. Hopefully they can do it soon.

P.S. You guys need a good video demo. Maybe even a tutorial. Spend the money and get one done professionally. Lots of people are interested but can't get any place where they can see a demo and just what's on your website isn't enough.

For me it's all about simple and functional. I don't want weight and balance, checklists, customizable fooforraw and stuff to screw with. I want all my engine info displayed in a compact easily scanned location. I like the logging feature and I like having it TSO'd so I can get rid of the old junk from my panel and have more space for better avionics. Easily maintained is a great quality too. Keep the price down and lose the gimmicks.