Introductory Light Jet flight?

Joe Larussa

17 hours ago, Immelman said:

Do you have 1500 hours? Multi engine? instrument?

Go get hired at a regional airline, they will train you and type you in an RJ and you'll get some "heavy" light jet experience and valuable training for the price of your time....

I don't need 1500, I can get the R-ATP at 1k.

I have a friend who does this. You have to be willing to go at odd times and he often ends up being stuck in places like Fresno for multiple days waiting for the owner to want to fly his next leg. But if you have super availability and want to log some right seat time it seems to be out there.

-Robert

Well I'm a 52 year old private pilot with roughly 1500 hours and an instrument rating out in Sacramento. I remember my first introductory flight in a 172 flying left seat about 17 years ago. I looked into chartering a private jet just for the experience. A round trip flight from Sacramento to San Diego was about 20,000 dollars! I'm thinking somebody out there would do introductory flights in a Citation for some amount of money. Don't get me wrong I love my 201 , just love the sound and power of a jet engine!

7 hours ago, N6758N said:

Did you graduate with a BS from a 141 college?

Yes. THE University of North Dakota

My work schedule is inflexible, but I have two week days off every week and the afternoon before and morning after those two days and a commercial, multi, instrument, cfi and cfii. It doesn't even have to be meaningful, I'd do just about any flying for a buck within those constraints and other than instructing have found none.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Joe Larussa said:

Well I'm a 52 year old private pilot with roughly 1500 hours and an instrument rating out in Sacramento. I remember my first introductory flight in a 172 flying left seat about 17 years ago. I looked into chartering a private jet just for the experience. A round trip flight from Sacramento to San Diego was about 20,000 dollars! I'm thinking somebody out there would do introductory flights in a Citation for some amount of money. Don't get me wrong I love my 201 , just love the sound and power of a jet engine!

Turbo props sound just as good. 

I bet you could get some dual in a turbo prop for a lot less.

1 hour ago, Joe Larussa said:

There is a pretty broad price range on jet charters out there, just depends on the aircraft. I was chatting with the pilot who had my job before me and he now flies right seat in a Citation CJ2 that is used for both charters and medivac. He told me the Phoenix-San Diego round trip he was on that day would cost a charter customer $6-7k. The same trip in a newer Gulfstream would be more than double that. Jets aren't cheap to fly and the company wants to make a profit as well, but I'd be surprised if any company that flies single pilot certified aircraft (like the CJs) would turn down money for an hour long scenic tour with you in the right seat. That's just easy money with nearly zero logistics work. Wouldn't be as cheap as your first cessna flight, but certainly not $20k

• Thanks 1

Interesting perspective:  I have friend who recently retired from his non-aviation job and decided to get a job in aviation.  He has flown privately for about 30 years and has everything except his ATP.

At 65, he was skeptical of getting a paying job, but very quickly he had several offers.  Long story short...after 6 months he quit.  He did not like flying the mission regardless of the weather and he did not like the irregular schedule.  Pay, though low, was not the issue.  It was the flying.

Bottom line: there's a big difference between recreational flying and a real job.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe Larussa said:

Well the little Pratts and Williams are not exactly like an F100 engine. Lol. Go over to SMF, check in at The Citation service centers front desk. They have a pretty good stream of Citations for maintenance work. Let them take your info etc. maybe they'll call you if something pops up. They do maintenance flights and you might be able to twist a crews hand for a ride. They might think it's a bit strange... Possibly you might be able to jump on a reposition ride to maybe the Bay Area or something close. There are a few charter companies down town too. Luxe Air I believe?? I've chatted with the owner in the past. Shoot, they might need a warm body on a leg anyway.

-Matt

1 hour ago, FlyWalt said:

All of the jets I have flown have been big bulky airliners. They are very cool but I would LOVE to play with a small jet one day.

I transitioned to little jets after a career flying for an airline.  While a lot of it is just-the-same, there are some significant differences.  Not better, or worse, but certainly different; still fun!

10 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Anybody ever look into how much an intro flight for an aero L39 costs?  I bet its not as much as a gulf stream.  And looks a lot cooler and pointier.

there's that place down south, tx maybe? that does cold war jet types or transition training. I remember an hour in a mig 15(?)  being somewhat reasonable.

http://www.jetwarbird.com/Mig.html

I think these are the guys I was looking at some time ago

$1400 an hour for the l-29, not bad

http://www.easternblocaircraft.com/jet.html

On 10/16/2017 at 6:38 PM, Immelman said:

Do you have 1500 hours? Multi engine? instrument? Go get hired at a regional airline, they will train you and type you in an RJ and you'll get some "heavy" light jet experience and valuable training for the price of your time....

I have 2,000 hours. CFI, CFII, MEI and multi-ATP with 600 multi hours but I'm not taking a 90% pay cut to go to the regionals.

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

I have 2,000 hours. CFI, CFII, MEI and multi-ATP with 600 multi hours but I'm not taking a 90% pay cut to go to the regionals.

I never said you should...

But if someone really desired to learn to fly a jet, and they were in a position to take a pay cut while they took a leave of absence from their chosen profession for a few months to get trained, typed, and through IOE (And then quit) it could be a pretty interesting life experience. We're at a unique position in the piloting profession where that's a possibility.

And interesting life experiences (like aircraft ownership, world travel, education, etc.) often cost some money.

Edited by Immelman

4 minutes ago, Immelman said:

But if someone really desired to learn to fly a jet, and they were in a position to take a pay cut while they took a leave of absence from their chosen profession for a few months to get trained, typed, and through IOE (And then quit) it could be a pretty interesting life experience. We're at a unique position in the piloting profession where that's a possibility. And interesting life experiences (like aircraft ownership, world travel, education, etc.) often cost some money.

One of my options (that I seriously considered) was to do a type rating in a jet as my ATP check ride. I think it would have been $7,500 in one of the jets and $10,000 in the other but I don't recall which ones they were any longer.. That wouldn't be a bad option.

• Thanks 1