530w to 750gtn ( w)

pkofman

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Yeah Pete, the Flightstream 210 would allow you to either use Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight to upload a full Victor airway routing into your 530 without needing to enter the individual waypoints. You simply do your flight planning on the ipad and upload it to the 530. I use Garmin Pilot and have dozens of stored routes on my iPad. Just power up the plane, connect to the Flightstream and upload the flight plan to the navigator.

Let me know if you have this same problem with Flight Stream... Sometimes when I power everything up the GTN does not recognize the iPAD even though the iPAD does display Flight Stream, just not connected. The only way to get them to talk to each other is to delete the iPAD user from the GTN and the Flight Stream connection from the iPAD  then turn Bluetooth off and back on again. At that time I will get the pairing message..

This happens to me about every second or third flight.

17 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Let me know if you have this same problem with Flight Stream... Sometimes when I power everything up the GTN does not recognize the iPAD even though the iPAD does display Flight Stream, just not connected. The only way to get them to talk to each other is to delete the iPAD user from the GTN and the Flight Stream connection from the iPAD  then turn Bluetooth off and back on again. At that time I will get the pairing message..

This happens to me about every second or third flight.

Nope. Never had this issue. I have the 510. I power up the iPad first and go into WiFi settings to make sure it connects via WiFi for the database updates. It then tells me to open Garmin Pilot and the Bluetooth will always connect without an error.

I know they just issued a new firmware update for the GTN. I think it had something to do with connectivity. Let me see if I can find it.

-- Found it. Looks like a weather display issue with Foreflight 

Service Advisory 1684 Rev B: Garmin GTX 345 FIS-B Weather Not Appearing on ForeFlight

OCTOBER 2, 2017 

PRODUCTS AFFECTED: 

GTN 6XX/7XX products (with software version 6.21) and GTX 345 products connected to ForeFlight through a Flight Stream 510 are affected.

The one issued prior to this one was to add some capability to the 510/210

I have the Flight Stream 210 connected to my 530W which is crossfed to my 430W. I use Foreflight and will send all complicated routes to the 530W. When ATC calls me with a new routing, I find it much easier to modify the route on my iPad and then send to the 530W. Without the FS210 I'd be entering things twice. Same thing for weather or MOA deviations, just rubber-band the route on the iPad and send it to the 530W. The points don't have to be fixes or airways either, Lat/long works.

If you do change the route or do a simple Direct-To on the 530W instead of your iPad, it will prompt you on your iPad to accept or decline the route that was input into the 530W.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pkofman said:

Very interesting , how would this work? Lets say I would get the flight stream 210 . what would be the interface ( an iPad with garmin pilot??? ) which btw has the airway functionality? Curious about the last line in your post above. thanks Pete

I’m going on vacation hopefully in 2 days with a FS-210 interfaced to a 430W.  I’ll take some pics and videos to show how it works. 

If you can afford it and want it... make it so! But as far as justification, it seems that is the point of the thread. I ask myself:

- Will the airplane fly faster, higher, carry more load, more range, less runway?

- Can you shoot some type of approach or IFR procedure that you can't do now?

- Will it enhance safety or reliability?

etc... So for me the answer would be no. All avionics will eventually be obsolete, even the 750. But if you do the trade and want to sell that 530w to someone for a song I'll consider it, as I have "/a" equipment and don't yet have ads-b out.

Edited by Immelman

Something that you will not see on the GTN 750 but on the GNS 530W and IFD 540 is the "Traffic Inset" on the left side. On the GNS 530W  you have the option to display VOR data or the 6nm Traffic display inset. Although you can show traffic on the NAV map on the GNS 750, but when the map is on a 100nm scale and traffic less than 3nm traffic shows on top of you on the NAV map and you have to change map scale to see the traffic actual location. But on the GNS 530W you just glance on the traffic inset to asses traffic location. I found this very handy for when deviating around Class B airspace or weather, no need to change scale. The inset will show traffic within 6nm +2700ft.

José

GNS 530W TCAS.jpg

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thinwing said:

For best ROI get a pilot relief tube (PRT) for $50. No fancy $15K GPS will give you the comfort and privacy of a PRT.

José

Ok I dont know about gtn or gns replacements after reviewing this thread  but this  comment has merit!. I had one in my Piper Dakota years ago.. Priceless!

Im getting one installed asap even if it will cost me a few Kts.  ( completely forgot about this convenience!) Thanks @Piloto

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a tough group!  I wouldn't dream of saying there is absolutely no comparison between the GNS 530 and GTN 750 that I've been using now for over 3 years.  Who needs display of 30 traffic intruders with TargetTrend vs 8 and no TargetTrend on the 530?  Who needs airways when ATC gives you a complicated clearance using them and additional time is required to do the same with an iPad?  Who needs Topo showing what is below you when you can have a black screen of the 530 and be ignorant of it?  Who needs a verbal interface to do almost anything you want with the 750 when you can fumble with the 530 in turbulence when given, "Have an amendment to you route. Advise ready to copy"?  Who needs Range Rings that correct for headwinds and tailwinds to tell you with a quick look if you need to make a fuel stop enroute vs a sheet of paper noting gallons in each tank and how they change to keep track of fuel.  Who needs automatic data updates via the iPad vs taking home a card and spending time with updates each month?  Who needs Comm and Nav alphabetic frequency ID when you can't remember whether you flipped the frequency or not?   And so much more....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, pkofman said:

Ok I dont know about gtn or gns replacements after reviewing this thread  but this  comment has merit!. I had one in my Piper Dakota years ago.. Priceless!

Im getting one installed asap even if it will cost me a few Kts.  ( completely forgot about this convenience!) Thanks @Piloto

I installed mine in one hour. The hose comes from below the pilot seat. It can easily be stored under the pilot seat and easily retrieve in flight. You can get all the components at  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=PILOT+RELIEF&x=20&y=4

plus the hose. On mine the hose is long enough for the copilot seat. No need for the horn with the valve since the Mooney is not pressurized. All the components are made of plastic.

José

Relief Venturi in Mooney.jpg

3 minutes ago, Piloto said:

I installed mine in one hour. The hose comes from below the pilot seat. It can easily be stored under the pilot seat and easily retrieve in flight. You can get all the components at  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=PILOT+RELIEF&x=20&y=4

plus the hose. On mine the hose is long enough for the copilot seat. No need for the horn with the valve since the Mooney is not pressurized. All the components are made of plastic.

José

What do you do in those cases when the burrito you had at the airport counter two hours earlier starts to make it's way through your system producing more sounds and noises than a 1988 Multi-Tech dialup modem?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

What do you do in those cases when the burrito you had at the airport counter two hours earlier starts to make it's way through your system producing more sounds and noises than a 1988 Multi-Tech dialup modem?

Good question. I know pretty well my biology so I know when not to eat before flight. But not the same with passengers. So I carry a bed pan with a disposable bag for the long overwater trips.;) 

José

I started this  thread as a  question as to whether it would be a "waste" to install  a 750  vs 530 and has ended in a discussion about mooney pilot  "waste"... very funny actually. . I really appreciate all of the comments and I've learned allot. I think for now im going to install a flightstream  210, leave the 530w and install a  pilot relief tube!  To me ( and this depends on allot on how long I keep the plane ) I may  do a major panel retrofit at the appropriate time. Some of you guys have done an incredible amount of work on your planes and the panels are absolutely beautiful Thanks for all of the advice. 
Pete

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 6:20 PM, pkofman said:

Just curious. if you had a 1998 no damage bravo tls with 1800 tt , zero prop and 340 on the engine, ( modes s , tks , o2 and 530w) + steam gauges , would you spend the money to upgrade the panel with a 750gtn or is that a waste?

I think the answer depends on how long you plan to keep the plane.    I just installed a 750 & 650 as well as some other stuff in my 95 Ovation and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner.  Using the glide-slope on a GPS approach is a huge step up.

Norm

N995K 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, Piloto said:

José

Relief Venturi in Mooney.jpg

Jose'   do you have one on your car ???