530w to 750gtn ( w)

pkofman

Robert excellent  spending suggestions and use of my money!!! Lol

Well I already have a lynx 9000+ so ads b and active traffic are good

just looking for justification for a replacement gps for the 530 w and/ or 2nd gps and also my second nav com sucks ie ...last legs on the display.. I also already have a back up electric Ai...

It would take allot of money and redo on the panel to completely make it glass

major $$$

1 hour ago, pkofman said:

Just curious. if you had a 1998 no damage bravo tls with 1800 tt , zero prop and 340 on the engine, ( modes s , tks , o2 and 530w) + steam gauges , would you spend the money to upgrade the panel with a 750gtn or is that a waste?

A new Acclaim costs in the neighborhood of $800,000 and goes about 20 knots faster than the Bravo.  Upgrading a Bravo to the ultimate as I did and will continue to do (G500 TXi and GFC 600 if it ever gets certified for the Bravo) makes perfect sense if you want a comparable airplane at ⅓ the cost all in.  I'm a Garmin guy but you could also stick in the Avidyne 550 as a plug and play replacement for the GNS 530, although I've not had one student who has gotten one, yet.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2017 at 7:23 PM, donkaye said:

A new Acclaim costs in the neighborhood of $800,000 and goes about 20 knots faster than the Bravo.  Upgrading a Bravo to the ultimate as I did and will continue to do (G500 TXi and GFC 600 if it ever gets certified for the Bravo) makes perfect sense if you want a comparable airplane at ⅓ the cost all in.  I'm a Garmin guy but you could also stick in the Avidyne 550 as a plug and play replacement for the GNS 530, although I've not had one student who has gotten one, yet.

I have an IFD550 - it is light years ahead of the 530W. It is a slide-in replacement so no labor cost. The IFD-540 is also outstanding - only thing it lacks from the 550 is the Attitude Reference System. Flight plans transfer to and from Foreflight with no additional boxes or Wireless SD cards - it's all built in to the Avidyne. Synthetic vision is included at N/C for both units.

Here's an admittedly Avidyne-biased comparison between the IFD550 and the GTN750: http://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd/ifd550-value-compare.html

(If you buy an IFD540 right and sell your 530W right you should have less than $4000 into the upgrade)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

I'm a Garmin guy but you could also stick in the Avidyne 550 as a plug and play replacement for the GNS 530, although I've not had one student who has gotten one, yet.

If you're ever in Texas at the same I am, I'll buy a few hours of your time. And then you can say you've got ONE student with the Avidyne stack.

1) So you have a WAAS device already...

2) you have a TC'd Long Body already...

3) you want the convenience of a new WAAS navigator with all the databases available at the touch of a button...

4) you have a GPSS that follows the arced magenta lines provided by the GTN?

PK, you have been approved!

As Dan points out...  The ROI will be limited by the equipment that you will be replacing.  Dan is pretty handy with ROI calculations.

• You already have WAAS capability, so the improvement won't be as stellar as far as capability being gained...
  • Getting touch screen, faster processor, tons of data at a touch.... fabulous!
  • Loading flightplans from Home 
  • integrated with several other devices is pretty valuable.  Weather and traffic if done correctly.

As others have pointed out... Avidyne gives you a valid option for comparison.

Are you planning on using this, or is this an aid to sell the plane next week, or next year...?

Selling such a fine plane that is fully updated as yours will be... well, THAT would be a waste... :)

PP thoughts only, a Long Body slowly gets older and wants to have new things added along the way...

+1 for Don Kaye's instrument panel logic.  There is solid engineering logic behind each device he installs.

Best regards,

-a-

Doesn't add any functionality besides victor airways,

Wait till your 530W goes TU.

Invest in a PFD / MFD that can show you the magenta line (there will be used G500's (at least the display heads) on the market when the Txi ships).

Look for functionality - will it make the airplane fundamentally do something different.  Victor airways doesn't reach my threshold for that. 

Glass PFD/MFD almost reach that.

A new modern autopilot with envelope protection would definitely reach that threshold.  Your negative ROI will be greatest on this. 

9 hours ago, bradp said:

Invest in a PFD / MFD that can show you the magenta line (there will be used G500's (at least the display heads) on the market when the Txi ships).

Look for functionality - will it make the airplane fundamentally do something different.  Victor airways doesn't reach my threshold for that. 

A new modern autopilot with envelope protection would definitely reach that threshold.  Your negative ROI will be greatest on this. 

Great comment from above...."Your negative ROI will be greatest on this. "

"Best investment line in the thread so far". Makes me realize that this is mostly about what I want.. not what I need.......

Thanks for that.... !.

The only way I would replace the 530W would be if it were inop and it was cost prohibitive to repair/overhaul it. Personally, I am against having too many pretty screens in these small airplanes that spend most of their time in airspace that is crowded with other small airplanes with pretty screens. I have seen too many students go heads down and stop looking out the window for extended time.

Cheers,
W

11 hours ago, bradp said:

Statement doesn't hold water , when the 530w goes Tits up , Garmin flat rate is 1100 to fix it..... Keep the 530...

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'll be the dissenter. I think the money would be better spent on getting rid of the AI and HSI in favor of an Aspen. The 530 is still a very capable unit, this is coming from someone with a GTN 750.

I agree. I have a 650 in my panel and it acts primarily as a data input device -- and that has even been less since adding the Flightstream 510. Sure, I still need to load approaches and tune the radios, but the output, including message notifications all happen on the Aspen. If I get a notification, I see it first on the glass and then read it on the 650.

A 530 with a Flightstream product will get you the Victor airway loading.

19 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I agree. I have a 650 in my panel and it acts primarily as a data input device -- and that has even been less since adding the Flightstream 510. Sure, I still need to load approaches and tune the radios, but the output, including message notifications all happen on the Aspen. If I get a notification, I see it first on the glass and then read it on the 650.

A 530 with a Flightstream product will get you the Victor airway loading.

Very interesting , how would this work? Lets say I would get the flight stream 210 . what would be the interface ( an iPad with garmin pilot??? ) which btw has the airway functionality? Curious about the last line in your post above. thanks Pete

Just now, pkofman said:

Very interesting , how would this work? Lets say I would get the flight stream 210 . what would be the interface ( an iPad with garmin pilot??? ) which btw has the airway functionality? Curious about the last line in your post above. thanks Pete

FlightStream works with Pilot and Foreflight. Simply enter the route on the iPad and press the button to transfer it to the 530 or 430.  The navigator will display all of the radials that makeup the airways. It's pretty nifty.

6 minutes ago, pkofman said:

Yeah Pete, the Flightstream 210 would allow you to either use Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight to upload a full Victor airway routing into your 530 without needing to enter the individual waypoints. You simply do your flight planning on the ipad and upload it to the 530. I use Garmin Pilot and have dozens of stored routes on my iPad. Just power up the plane, connect to the Flightstream and upload the flight plan to the navigator.