Acclaim 310 hp STC issues

Hello Forum

I recently took my Acclaim into a Mooney Service Center for a few squaks plus the 310 hp upgrade.  The shop contacted me today with information that Garmin won't let the G1000 display 2700 redline.  I friend of mine has the 310 STC in his Acclaim and I don't remember seeing a second tach.  I don't want a second tach and kills the deal of the upgrade for me.

Does anyone have any experience with the 310 STC and intergrating it with the G1000?  

Thanks 

Andrew 

20 minutes ago, Mooneymuscle56m said:

Hello Forum

I recently took my Acclaim into a Mooney Service Center for a few squaks plus the 310 hp upgrade.  The shop contacted me today with information that Garmin won't let the G1000 display 2700 redline.  I friend of mine has the 310 STC in his Acclaim and I don't remember seeing a second tach.  I don't want a second tach and kills the deal of the upgrade for me.

Does anyone have any experience with the 310 STC and intergrating it with the G1000?  

Thanks 

Andrew 

Meh - sorta clugy but I would get the higher performance and the second tac if I had to.

• Like 1

Andrew, this may be a silly question but did the MSC change the airframe type on the config options page of the PFD setup?  I am not familiar with the Acclaim but switching mine from Ovation 2 to Ovation 3 changed the graphic of the tach to show 2700. Not sure what choices there are for the Acclaim.  Type S?

Russ

That is strange as it displays 2700rpm just fine on my G1000. However, my O3 also ha3 a 2nd mechanical tach which appears to be required as the G1000 is placarded for the Tach on the G1000 to be "advisory."

Turns out to be convenient as the connections have gotten a bit loose this year and the G1000 tach bounces between 0 and overspeed :D My O3 goes into annual next week so I haven't bothered taking the cowling off and tightening the wires.

The 310hp is way worth it. Don't skip it over something as silly as the extra dial!!

Robert

43 minutes ago, Mooneymuscle56m said:

Hello Forum

Thanks 

Andrew 

Andrew,

The GDU1040/42/44 display will indeed display 2700RPM, as long as the proper software version on that display is talking to the GEA71.  Give me a PM and I can point you in the right direction.

Wish I was back in my old stomping ground (KPLU).  Not sure if you're located in W. Wash.

Steve

• Like 1

Andrew,

I have a 2008 Acclaim Type S and I applied the 310hp STC to my bird 3 years ago. No regrets. The increased takeoff and climb performance are breathtaking.

As part of the STC, my G1000 was modified to think my plane is a 310hp Ovation, so the maximum redline would go from 2,500RPM to 2,700. My G1000 has an Ovation 3 startup screen instead of the Acclaim startup screen. I didn't like it at first, but I got over it when I climbed out of Aspen on a hot day in August last year at 2,000 fpm.

They did add a small secondary tach but it's no big deal. Didn't mess up my panel at all.

If you will benefit from the increased climb performance, you should definitely go for it. I think it will add value to my plane if I ever decide to sell.

Good luck,

Joe

So you spend three-quarters of a million dollars on the fastest certified single-engine piston and you can't get a simple GUI change because of a lazy software engineer? I'm sorry, but I'd be blowing up Mooney and Garmin phone support and having a stern talking to someone up high if you have to have software "fooled" or setup inaccurately just to get something done right for almost a million friggin dollars. That is completely unacceptable!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Andrew, I have a 2005 O2 with the 310 STC. The original owner had the STC done in 2006 and a digital EI tach was installed at that time and the reason for this I believe was that the O3 was not around yet. I had the WAAS upgrade done about a year ago and when I got it back from the avionics shop my G1000 now reads 2700 rpm a change from the original 2500 rpm so this can be done. As for the EI digital tach it is an “option “ as you can see in the 2 attachments. I took my EI digital tach out because it stopped working rather than sending it out for repair.

8B4B120B-5ABC-4AC8-9581-BF46E21B3E2F.jpeg

BE5FF018-8BDF-4230-A33C-85F8D8339E13.jpeg

13 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

So you spend three-quarters of a million dollars on the fastest certified single-engine piston and you can't get a simple GUI change because of a lazy software engineer? I'm sorry, but I'd be blowing up Mooney and Garmin phone support and having a stern talking to someone up high if you have to have software "fooled" or setup inaccurately just to get something done right for almost a million friggin dollars. That is completely unacceptable!

Hello Everyone

Thank you for all the advice.  I should have mentioned that my aircraft is a 2007 Non-waas with G1000 0401.26 software.  I plan on upgrading to WAAS and ADS-B next year when I can afford it.  Buying this aircraft was a stretch for me, but no regrets. 

I will mention to the shop about using Oviation software in my Acclaim.  

Again I thank everyone for their advice. 

Andrew Patry

Edited by Mooneymuscle56m

Andrew,

You might also want to start a new thread regarding your soon to be sold M20E...

The sales process itself takes long enough even when the stars are all aligned. Buying a first plane also takes a fair amount of time.  Both processes will benefit by starting as early as practical.

Best regards,

-a-

My E just went out of annual and I'd like to fix some things before I sell it.  I was shopping for a 182-205-206 when I bought the Acclaim, I couldn't pass it up.   My E is my best short field right now.  The E light, is amazing shortfield machine. A full flap takeoff light it's an elevator.  450' roll at sea level. Sadly the Acclaim wasn't made to handle short fields. 

2 hours ago, Mooneymuscle56m said:

My E just went out of annual and I'd like to fix some things before I sell it.  I was shopping for a 182-205-206 when I bought the Acclaim, I couldn't pass it up.   My E is my best short field right now.  The E light, is amazing shortfield machine. A full flap takeoff light it's an elevator.  450' roll at sea level. Sadly the Acclaim wasn't made to handle short fields. 

Full flap take off???

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2017 at 11:05 PM, Raptor05121 said:

I dont think he bought a new Ultra type S, Alex. Used Acclaims go for a lot less, and the g1000's can be made to read 2700, am working with an owner of a type s right now that does it. Perhaps his shop needs to check a little further on how to do the Type S 310 upgrade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the existing tach in my O1 updated with a new redline.  Pretty easy update for the non-G1000 panel...

The new tach isn't a requirement. It is listed as an alternative for compliance if needed... iirc

Others with the G1000 system used a Mooney G1000 program that had the proper redline already.  O3?

Hope that helps, some?

Best regards,

-a-

Hello Everyone

I told the guys at the Mooney Service Center that I didn’t want the external tach that it was a deal breaker for me.

At my request, they figured out a way to manipulate the G1000 to display to 2700 redline start to 2800 redline end.  They mentioned that when I ever sell the plane there might be a issue and I may have to add a tach.  For now I am very happy with this MSC.  

My feedback on the 310 HP stc:

Positives

Wow!  Take off and climb are a massive improvement,  mine is heavy with air conditioning, not much useful load.  You can really feel pushing in the last inch.  

Negatives   

My fuel burn on take off was 27gph, now 33gph.  More power more fuel, I get it.

I expected the previous power settings of 25-27 inches to 2300rpm that I used to run  13ish gph is now 15ish gph 50 LOP.  

The fact is the Acclaim is an awesome machine with 280hp.  When I first flew one, I couldn’t imagine anything better.  

Overall I don’t regret the decision.  I think mooney must have weighed all the variables when they decided not to roll the Acclaim out with 310hp, or maybe they are saving that card until the competition catches up. 

• Like 1