Flight instrument removal

Mark89114

What is the secret to attaching/detaching vacuum hoses?  I removed the Brittain DG in my 201 to work on the autopilot.  Re-installing the hoses cost me a good bit of the skin from my left hand and took almost an hour.  Is there any kind of lubricant that can be used on a vacuum hose?

8 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

What is the secret to attaching/detaching vacuum hoses?  I removed the Brittain DG in my 201 to work on the autopilot.  Re-installing the hoses cost me a good bit of the skin from my left hand and took almost an hour.  Is there any kind of lubricant that can be used on a vacuum hose?

A Lisle Tools hose pusher for removal and new Stratoflex 193-6 hose for reinstallation.

Clarence

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

A Lisle Tools hose pusher for removal and new Stratoflex 193-6 hose for reinstallation.

Clarence

image.jpeg

Does this work well?  I was told a long time ago that it digs into and scores the aluminum tube, but never knew for sure.

3 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Does this work well?  I was told a long time ago that it digs into and scores the aluminum tube, but never knew for sure.

It works well, I try to put the tabs against the hex nut of the fitting and avoid the tube.

Clarence

On 10/16/2017 at 6:25 PM, LANCECASPER said:

I replaced my turn coordinator with a Mid-Continent Lifesaver Electric Attitude Gyro with battery backup that I bought for $750. Excellent value.

I replaced the batteries in the battery backup for $45 instead of $300 through Midcontinent.

$750? Sounds like an excellent value.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:33 AM, Mark89114 said:

I can't say I disagree with ditching vacuum AI, I see that coming in the next few years, but the million dollar question is with what?  The whole Dynon Skyview system looks like a solution, ADSB, engine monitor, flight instruments, etc. in one package.  I am having the AI overhauled for couple hundred bucks and only 3-4 days down time.  Needed to get it done.     

I am telling the posters who think it could be done from underneath, no way Jose.  I have the blood stains to prove it.  

I see you have four AI's....do you think that is enough?  

Where did you send it for overhaul? I need to pull mine and send it out. It's getting louder as it spools down after shut down and it is taking it longer to wake up. Just a matter of time before it is done. The best I have seen is Aircraft Quality Instruments and looks like $360 for overhaul through them.

42 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

$750? Sounds like an excellent value.

Where did you send it for overhaul? I need to pull mine and send it out. It's getting louder as it spools down after shut down and it is taking it longer to wake up. Just a matter of time before it is done. The best I have seen is Aircraft Quality Instruments and looks like $360 for overhaul through them.

I took it to Rudys aircraft instruments in Rudy AR, I live nearby.  Picking it up tomorrow, what I saved in freight will probably be offset by the sales tax (communist blood suckers).  That price looks about the same, but they had 2 day turnaround for me.  Will advise when reinstalled.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Mine went a bit sideways during flight and was slow to spool up. Sent it to Bob, and now it sets up in just a couple seconds. New life to old avionics.

Search for "Bramble" here and see what opinions you find.

Robert Bramble
Aerolab Aviation Services
www.aerolabaviation.com

FAA CRS#40RR239Y
8191 N Tamiami Trail
Hanger B-2
Sarasota, FL 34243
Ph: (913) 680-4169 

Edited by Oldguy
  • Like 1