Ultra Screw Up

201er

What were the Mooney engineers/marketing thinking when they added a second cabin door but didn't add or move the baggage door to the pilot side? So you're telling me that the sucker guy who just dropped 3/4 of a million greenbacks to have a second door has to run around the plane every time he wants to toss in his chocks and go fly?

• Like 3

Well it would be more than just a design decision. All of the aluminum sub structures and frame would have to be redesigned, new jigs and fixtures made for the new parts etc. Heck ever the door itself would need a new latch that opened the other way. Would have been costly that's for sureĀ 

It probably wouldn't have been all that much work to add a small door about the same size as the avionics access panel in the tail. That could have been added down low on the left side. Baggage would still be loaded through the large door, but chocks, fuel tester, quart of oil, etc. could all be accessed from the pilots side.

Climb in through the pilots door and pitch the chocks in the lapĀ the dead weight sitting in the right seat. Ā Then look over at them sneer and tell them to shut up and deal or they get out. Ā Or put them in the baggage door walk around and say yes dear I'll try and make a smoother departure this time.

I am a firm believer that anyĀ plane that costs a whopping 0.75 mil should come with itsĀ personal air sideĀ concierge.

Rich people shouldn't really be doing anything as laboriousĀ and trivial as dragging luggageĀ from one side of their massive big planes to another.

Actually come to think of it, it should come with a gold elevator too!B)

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

3E31B4D500000578-0-image-a-38_1489328593218.jpg

26 minutes ago, triple8s said:

Id say if you taxi up in a 700,000$ airplane there would be a lineman put the wheel chocks out for ya. They usually do for me in my 21 yr old R model.

Sure. But what about fuel tester, covers, or dropping your bag into the baggage? Us poor one door Mooney pilots have to do it all from one side. Now the new Ultra drivers have to go around both sides to accomplish the same. Even Cessnas have the baggage door on the same side as the pilot door!

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Sure. But what about fuel tester, covers, or dropping your bag into the baggage? Us poor one door Mooney pilots have to do it all from one side. Now the new Ultra drivers have to go around both sides to accomplish the same. Even Cessnas have the baggage door on the same side as the pilot door!

Go buy a Cessna then...

They might be 25 knots slower but boyĀ the time you saved from walking that extra 15 metres...Ā 

Maybe cars should have gas tank filler on BOTH sides so we dont have to walk so much...Ā 

Edited by Tommy

1 hour ago, 201er said:

When you see new Ultra owners entering from the right and sliding across, then you know the baggage door non-relocation was actually inconvenient. Ā 

After all were we not in some other postĀ moaning about the max gross weight of the ultra as well, will we EVER be happy, or do we allĀ want a Mooney that will lift 4 x 225Ā lb american adults, full fuel, full bagage on a 350hp engine burning 10gph at 3000 ft and doing 280 knots?
Andrew

You forgot it need to be pressurized, no one likes wearing oxygen masks. So change the 3000' to 30,000' and I think a 350hp engine could get close to 280knots. Probably could get to 500hp with high compression cylinders, direct fuel injection, electronic ignition....a modern design engine. Now we can do 300+ knots and be in the TBM,Pilatus category.

13 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The screw up would be now if the passenger is in charge of closing and securing the baggage door instead of the pilot. If the passenger doesn't get it right and the door pops open on take-off it could cause a major distraction. Ask me how I know.

BTDT, not distracting though. Ā Took awhile to figure out why I was 5 knots slow. Ā The funniest thing was I thought about diverting my nearest, but at that point by the time I'd descended my destination was my nearest. Ā Had to land in front of all my pals with my luggage door hanging open, not a proud day. Ā My CFI did the same thing and his door departed the airframe. Ā Lots of AMUs to fix that.

7 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

After all were we not in some other postĀ moaning about the max gross weight of the ultra as well, will we EVER be happy, or do we allĀ want a Mooney that will lift 4 x 225Ā lb american adults, full fuel, full bagage on a 350hp engine burning 10gph at 3000 ft and doing 280 knots?

I think you may be on to something thereĀ :D

• Like 1

I can tell you it is Ā more operationally annoying than you think it would be. Ā Ā 

I've been doing training in a Seneca, so the luggage/rear passenger doors are on the left side, and the pilot/co-pilot door is on the right. Ā  Its a long walk around the tail if you forgot to get something out of your bag, put the drain cup back, double check that the door is latched, etc.Ā 

I really like being able to check the luggage door is latched and locked while climbing on the wing for entry.Ā Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PaulM said:

I really like being able to check the luggage door is latched and locked while climbing on the wing for entry.Ā 

THAT might actually be the strongest point of all. Didn't think about that. Can you imagine how many times the baggage door will be forgotten when it's on the other side? Even if just to lock it.

I'm not saying they necessarily had to go to two baggage doors, but at least to mirror it to the pilot side would have made sense.

Well while we are picking I'd love to have one and will just as soon as Ican find where I put that extra 750AMUs.Ā  I hid it so it would be safe.Ā  However, I want mine with Aspen instruments and an Avidyne 550 instead of the G1000 stuff.
Sorry turbines only can be selected with G1000s. Some government regulations that haven't been made yet but will be to support big business. And it would be awesome advertising on the website

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk