Giving guidance on annual to a non Mooney shop

DXB

I've decided to use a particular shop with limited Mooney-specific expertise again for annual  because  since I found them to be efficient, reliable, and reasonably priced when I needed major engine work last year.  At the same time, I've had  prior annuals from two different well-regarded MSCs and respect the expertise they bring to the distinctive Mooney systems like gear, trim, and control surface rigging.  I think they got that stuff is in pretty good shape in '15 and '16, and I'll will probably go back to one of them next year for annual.  

In the meantime, I'd like to gently call attention to  specific areas for the non-expert shop to pay attention to, particularly regarding the gear, trim, and control surface rigging.   They don't have the gear preload tool or travel boards so I'm curious if there's a few things they might check visually when the plane is opened up (e.g. issues that might avert a gear collapse) that would otherwise be missed?  I'm hoping to hand them a very specific list if the experts here think that might be helpful. 

Or feel free to tell me it's a stupid idea :P - I'm unsure myself. 

I use the services of our local IA who does very good work. However, if I have something I specifically want addressed, then I do the research, provide the appropriate pages in the manual pre marked,  have the parts located, and tell him about any Mooney specific tools or techniques needed. For instance, when we did my nose gear, I put him in contact with LASAR who rebuilt the unit to their upgraded specifications, and he was very pleased. When we did the trim jack screw I provided him with information posted by Rich 201MKTurbo and 1524J, and also info regarding rebuild of the electric yoke trim switch. This year we will remove the Ram Air and do fiberglasps or carbon fiber reinforce the top of the Cowl at annual and I will provide all of the information before so he can become familiar. Ron is very pleased with our partnership and shared responsibilities. 

4 hours ago, Oldguy said:

You could always have them use the Mooney Annual/100 hour inspection checklist.

http://www.mooney.com/en/pdf/100_Hour_Annual2007.pdf

I do this, with both printed and electronic versions of the Maintenance Manual at the plane. I also have grease and TriFlo for everything. If I know I need something, I preorder and have it ready to go (my new home field has no services at all).

If and I say "IF" the gear and control throws were checked properly last time the chances of them changing over 1 year is pretty slim. I check mine every year but nothing changes. I would think however that your A&P might want to at least learn how to do the gear over center check properly even if you have to borrow the tools. 

If you want him to follow the Mooney 100 hr check list AND sign it off as being the guiding document he will have to check the gear and the control throws. If however he wants to follow his own check list (to include what 43.13 says to include in an annual) then, the sign off and what's checked is different. 

In actuality, our Mooneys are pretty basic in most regards. The biggest item on my calendar is lubing everything that moves. It takes a while and most all the panels come off to do it (check the MM). If the gear goes up and down and the doors close properly so be it. If electric, be sure to check the manual gear operation also. 

The engine compartment is similar to any Lycoming powered airplane. I do pressure check my muffler every year. 

General servicing is no different than any other airplane. Tires, wheels, wheel bearings, again- lubrication of every moving joint (using silicone on the exposed rod ends). 

One MUST have the maintenance manual available while the work is being done. 

Good luck. I hope it turns out OK for you.

• Like 1

My only experience is my last annual. I had Joey Cole look it over. He found lots of little things that could have become problematic. The only big thing he noted that my IA prob would have caught is my prop slinging grease. I'm prob going to alternate with Cole every three years or so to keep a close check on things. 

I wouldn’t let a non mooney shop manipulate any of the gear “settings”.  I would let the non mooney shop do whatever they usually do for airworthiness inspections.  Then go back to Weber or someone and have them check the gear preload, trim jack screw, etc.  That way if an adjustment is needed they can do it and know what they are doing.  

I had four mooney expert and two MSC  annuals in a row before I was comfortable enough having a local shop annual her.  And my local shop is an IA with 40 years of mooney ownership and maintenance experience (he was a shop that started reporting the flap hinge issues and tubular frame issues early on ..). 

Just remember MSC does not equal mooney expert.  That club is exclusive and most of us know its membership 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2017 at 2:47 PM, carusoam said:

Dev,

Will you be using my Home drome?

They have a fair amount of Mooney experience...

Whoever you go with should have access to maintnenace manuals for your plane.

One of our new members posted a set, recently acquired from Mooney.

Best regards,

-a-

Yes - it's the same folks Anthony- I had no complaints with them at all last year. They actually went above and beyond in some areas and are now my preferred place for stuff outside of annual. Also they reconditioned two cylinders without killing me :lol:.   But they don't have the gear and rigging tools.   I always provide the Mooney checklist and the service manual.    As Cliffy notes, the gear preloads dont change much so I figure I might be ok for another year before going back to Airmods or Weber in '18.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steingar said:

Says Steingar, if you really feel the need to tell your shop how to do an annual it's time for a new shop. Sorry guys, we can do most of this stuff ourselves. What we're paying for is expertise.

I manage my annual process pretty closely, but I don't tell a licensed professional how to do theit job.  I make it clear where I have areas of concern.  There is one MSC about 100NM from me but I don't like leaving my bird away from home.  I've been involved in 12 annuals on my bird.  I've seen every inch of the plane.  I've seen where excellent work was conducted and found lousy work as well.  I did an owner assist the year after an MSC annual and found dry rotted vacuum hoses behind the panel that I know were there the year before.  I trust folks for their expertise, but I have never been a drop it off and send me the bill kind of guy (with airplanes or anything else).  The times that I have done that have not been a great value.

Edited by Shadrach

35 minutes ago, DXB said:

Yes - it's the same folks Anthony- I had no complaints with them at all last year. They actually went above and beyond in some areas and are now my preferred place for stuff outside of annual. Also they reconditioned two cylinders without killing me :lol:.   But they don't have the gear and rigging tools.   I always provide the Mooney checklist and the service manual.    As Cliffy notes, the gear preloads dont change much so I figure I might be ok for another year before going back to Airmods or Weber in '18.  

In all the annuals I have done, my preloads have never changed.  I'm not suggesting they can't, but I've not seen it happen.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I manage my annual process pretty closely, but I don't tell a licensed professional how to do there job.  I make it clear where I have areas of concern.  There is one MSC about 100NM from me but I don't like leaving my bird away from home.  I've been involved in 12 annuals on my bird.  I've seen every inch of the plane.  I've seen where excellent work was conducted and found lousy work as well.  I did an owner assist the year after an MSC annual and found dry rotted vacuum hoses behind the panel that I know were there the year before.  I trust folks for their expertise, but I have never been a drop it off and send me the bill kind of guy (with airplanes or anything else).  The times that I have done that have not been a great value.

This is a really good way to manage an aircraft, one I hope to start using in the immediate future. I agree that you should be able to tell a mechanic about your aircraft's squawks, since you know more about your aircraft than anyone.  But any IA should be able to do an annual on a Mooney.  They are wonderful aircraft, but there's nothing magic about them.

Re the gear preloads- for mechanics that haven't done them before it's not an easy read in the MM.  I spent the better half of a day working with the A&P at a MSC to figure out the proper way to do it - maybe decipher would be a better term because the manual is written so poorly.  This was because the mechanic that was assigned to my plane didn't have much experience with Mooney.  We worked it out fine (and worked together, and I learned a lot), but you don't want someone learning on your plane.  Also goes to show why I trust the individual mechanics more than the MSC logo on the hangar.

• Like 1