Mic Squeal

Have developed a piercing squeal when pressing the PTT. Using new upgrade Zulu3 headset via a GTN 650. New batteries. Squelch adjust has no effect on the piercing squeal. Pls help-would really like to use the noise redux of the Z3. Going to call Lightspeed, but think the issue is in the plane, 79 Mooney 231.

Any advise/help would be appreciated.

Tks!

Have developed a piercing squeal when pressing the PTT. Using new upgrade Zulu3 headset via a GTN 650. New batteries. Squelch adjust has no effect on the piercing squeal. Pls help-would really like to use the noise redux of the Z3. Going to call Lightspeed, but think the issue is in the plane, 79 Mooney 231.
Tks!

Did you try the copilot side?

39 minutes ago, Flyin Bullfrog said:

Tks!

Is there any chance you are getting feedback through your second comm radio?  If have my audio panel switched to monitor comm 2 while transmitting on comm 1 and the frequencies on the two radios are close I sometimes get some feedback.  You might want to try turning off comm 2 completely and see if that has any impact.

• Like 1

Lightspeed folks tend to think it's a Mic gain issue. Just need a jewelry flat head screw driver. Take off Mic muff and gain screw resides under a small plastic cover. Seems sailor proof:  Clockwise increases gain counter clockwise reduces gain. LS says to back off .25 turn to begin with. Appreciate all the other tips. Will report the fix once the gremlin is cornered and exterminated.

Rico
N231C

Mooney team. Mic squeal issue  has been resolved.

Thank go to the Dave Harlow tip.  Issue was  the  sidetone volume in the GTN 650 that  was set way too high and was causing the feedback.  In order to adjust it, you have to get the GTN into configuration mode.  

Per Dave's instrictions I set into configuration mode by holding the HOME key when you power up and ONLY touched the dial tone-reduced fm a 65 nbr to 45(a swag). Worked on the ground, after start up, and perfectly in IMC thru an LPV approach. I did not adjust the Mic gain of my Zulu 3 headset upgrade. 

Want to reemphasize Dave's warning. "Of course you can really screw up your configuration once you are there. So be careful!"

Another happy and 0 cost ending.
:) Rico
  • Like 2