Skyview - Start with Engine Monitor

Yetti

So I like integrated IT things.  I have done Information Technology for 20 years.  Currently I work for a controls systems visualization company.    Dynon Skyviews seems to be the most integrated system out there.   The idea of spending lots of dollars on components that don't integrate is silly to me. On a daily basis I have to answer questions about how to integrate software and data and things.

I have a basic steam gauge panel.  A tablet and phone for navigation with ADSB - IN with Stratux.   Thinking about an Engine Monitor

Dynon Skyview classic 7" with Engine Module + Engine monitor kit $2600+$600+$610 = $3800 - Would require Minor Mod - STC is a couple years away.

Insight G3 = $3185 - STC PMA

With the G3 I would have a good engine monitor. 

The Skyview would be install over on the other side of the panel and would get the following.

• Engine Monitoring
  • Angle-of-Attack - upgrade
  • "Six-Pack" Flight Instruments - backup on the other side of the panel.... would need to hooked into the pitot system- is this going too far?  Would be the same as attaching a AoA to the pitot system. 
  • Autopilot Capabilities - Upgrade
  • Mode S Transponder with ADS-B Out – Need  to replace $2200.00   Currently TSOed
  • 2020 FAA Mandate ADS-B Out Compliance – Not done yet
  • Dynon COM Radio – Upgrade – 2nd radio is KING 170b
  • Synthetic Vision -
  • Mapping and Navigation - replace phone tablet.
  • ADS-B In Traffic / Weather – Could hook Stratux up for temp adsb in

When the STC becomes available I could buy the another screen and replace the primary instruments on the pilots side. do the adsb upgrade.   Would need to obviously have a long chat with my IA.

Remember my goals are Engine monitor, upgrade path, maintain my CB status.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

I have a couple buddies with Skyviews in their RV's (1 has dual Skyviews) and they are awesome and Dynon is a great company to work with from what I've heard. It won't be long before we'll be able to install them on certified aircraft

• Like 1

I talked with Dynon about upgrade paths with the current D10A and future Skyview STC. They said the future Skyview system will be TSO and different part numbers, so non-TSO components installed now could not be integrated with future TSO components under the STC. Maybe there is another way around it I don't know.

Just now, Frozen Flying said:

I talked with Dynon about upgrade paths with the current D10A and future Skyview STC. They said the future Skyview system will be TSO and different part numbers, so non-TSO components installed now could not be integrated with future TSO components under the STC. Maybe there is another way around it I don't know.

I meant to say the future Skyview components will be made under a PMA and be TSO.

When I talked with them at Oshkosh they said the STC install was not flexible. Everything needs to be installed and partial installs would not be covered. They expected the AP install variances to slow up the approval process because of so many slight differences in mounting brackets etc. 

Why not install all the sensors and hook up a cheap indicator like an older JPI to buy some time?

skyview and CB status, I think you’re dreaming:)

Any realistic timeline on this STC coming for Mooneys?  Notwithstanding the variations at least a start would be nice.  I am in OP boat as well, I could replace a bunch of old 17+ y.o. parts in one fell swoop.  But time marches on and things break so I might need to piecemeal repairs and upgrades, ADSB being first unless my KI256 kicks it soon.....

I emailed Dynon to ask how much of an engine monitor install's sensor wiring could be reused with Skyview. They said that the only sensors which could be used would be the thermocouples for EGT/CHT and possibly a fuel flow transducer. Pressure and temperature thermisters would have to be the ones that they certify for the system. Probably the best option would be to go with an inexpensive multi probe secondary for now just to get the CHT/EGT data while minimizing wasted labor rewiring things.

Welcome aboard R4d.

Got anymore info on your G2 install?

Or what is going wrong?

There are many G2 owners. I don't recall any plague of issues related to it. Some insight challenges were encountered with the various lengths of other insight G devices.  A problem when upgrading....

Best regards,

-a-

my current employment is in visualizing sensing data.   Data quality is a large issue with our customers.  It usually goes to sensors being out of wack or installed wrong.  There is not bad software, there is bad software installs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard R4d.

Or what is going wrong?

There are many G2 owners. I don't recall any plague of issues related to it. Some insight challenges were encountered with the various lengths of other insight G devices.  A problem when upgrading....

Best regards,

-a-

Yetti

When it was installed I had to take it back twice to have new plugs installed because insight sent either bad /wrong ones or upgraded ones. I spent another 350.00 to have it worked on for labor only. Insight would not cover the labor costs. Then I had a problem with the fuel flow not working properly, but that now works sometimes.It fluctuates from no reading to reading erratically. Also the #1 egt reading only works sometime. I had a new probe installed and it worked for about a  month and now does not read properly again. I spoke with a rep from insight at OSH in july,and he was little or no help at all Talked to me as if I was bothering him and didn't want to waste time with help much. I am totally frustrated with the G2 . Anyone know of a shop that might be able to get it working properly? I hate to spend too much more money on it

Interesting... I never had any problem with mine. And based on watching mine in operation, there are several other planes flying around North Texas with G2's and they're not having any issues either.

I loved the ability to just pop the SD card out of the slot and throw it in my flight bag to take home and download all my flight data. And you never have to erase any data as it will hold much more than 0 to TBO and beyond. When I sold my C, I told the buyer that the entire history of the engine was on the chip in the G2. So if there are any questions about how I flew the plane, it's all there. Even better than log books.

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard R4d.

Or what is going wrong?

Best regards,

-a-

I’m one of the owners with a G2. It is a great piece of equipment and the support has been very good. I have had issues but they were related to the install. I used the old probes and at times the connections were not tightly connected causing fluctuations in the display. This happened over time so it was aggravating each time something cropped up. I do understand the OP’s frustration but this was not an Insight problem.  I also had a fuel flow issue connected with a mini flow L. The unit was replaced under warranty and the issue was resolved. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 1:39 PM, R4dpilot said:

Yetti

When it was installed I had to take it back twice to have new plugs installed because insight sent either bad /wrong ones or upgraded ones. I spent another 350.00 to have it worked on for labor only. Insight would not cover the labor costs. Then I had a problem with the fuel flow not working properly, but that now works sometimes.It fluctuates from no reading to reading erratically. Also the #1 egt reading only works sometime. I had a new probe installed and it worked for about a  month and now does not read properly again. I spoke with a rep from insight at OSH in july,and he was little or no help at all Talked to me as if I was bothering him and didn't want to waste time with help much. I am totally frustrated with the G2 . Anyone know of a shop that might be able to get it working properly? I hate to spend too much more money on it

I would guess the wiring is causing you grief.   Thermocouple are very low voltage devices.  Some great mechanics are not that great with electrical stuff.   Thinking through the routing of the wiring and minimizing the vibration of the engine in the wiring is a first step to a good install.   I put myself through college installing two way radios in mixer trucks.  Even with the mixer trucks vibration a bad install could cause issues with the radio.  Next time you have the cowl off take pictures and post them.   People around here are pretty good at spotting faults.   Like vertical fuel flow sensors and bad wiring jobs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this guy got field approval for the Garmin 3X Touch.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=121524&start=15

Interesting enough you can buy a certified GPS Source for the Trig ADSB out for $590.00

http://www.dynonavionics.com/gps-receiver-module.php

image.png.6fa5d94ab85d749bcb782365087e90b7.png

Edited by Yetti