$500 FOR A SWITCH???? DAMN!

Brian Scranton

And keep in mind, there's a pretty good chance they had to loosen all the other switches to provide space from the buss bar to replace the switch. You'll see what I mean if you lie on your back with your face behind the panel. Then go back and forth from that to a sitting position hitting your head on the yoke or instrument panel each time. After you start getting dizzy hanging upside down, you'll think it isn't unreasonable. 

Sorry. Rant over. 

• Like 2

Joe,

On/off, call it special if it helps...

The split switch is really cool.  Two on/off switches mounted in close proximity...

The switch is built to be strong.  This way in a go-around, when you are pressing the trim switch... your thumb has no idea how hard it is pressing the switch...

The beauty of the C, with those fabulous access panels...

No chiropractor needed!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

The beauty of the C, with those fabulous access panels...

The beauty of the C is its lack of high-dollar switches . . .

But from experience, accessing the bottom of the panel (say, for the gear microswitch inside the throttle quadrant, or the pilot's headset plug, or working on the panel overlay), the services of a chiropractor or deep-tissue masseuse would certainly be  nice!!

• Like 2

Joe,

the really goofy part, when it comes to switches...

the modern ones have a plastic cover that fancifies the look. This fancy cover also has a tendency to break...

The broken cover doesn't effect the way the switch works.

But getting a replacement isn't a reality either...

Hence the the few threads on 3D printing around here.

Fortunately most of these parts last 50 years...

Unfortunately, some of our planes are 50+ years old!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I just watched an IA do a replacement fuel pressure gauge in a Cherokee.  Mooney seemed not so bad by comparison.  Ouch.  

This is why there are hangar fairies.  They pay 500 gold pieces from the pot under the rainbow to the panel elves.  The panel elves are small enough to get behind the panel without needing to visit the unicornropracter . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

My autopilot trim switch went out a few years ago.  I think it was $900 and I was lucky to find a new old stock because the new ones were something like $1500.  A plastic switch with a microswitch in it.  Thanks BK.

We paid $1,200 installed about four years ago. Hopefully the new one will last another 30 years.

On 10/11/2017 at 6:03 PM, tony said:

Yeah, but it doesn't have the sweet plastic cover like the rest of my Klixon switches, so I guess the plastic is worth $150. In my bird, it's a 20TC not a 7270. 

http://www.sensata.com/klixon/circuit-breaker-aircraft-20tc.htm

• 4 weeks later...

That sounds crazy. Can't be a big job to replace a switch. I'm a new Mooney owner 1977 M20C in the process of replacing the boost pump switch, maybe all of them.

The problem i'm having is i have no idea what switch to get. There are a million different manufacturers and models numbers. 

I got a quote from Lasar for $375.00 per switch. Does that sound reasonable? I have no idea...

Strobe: 930023-207A

Nav: 930023-201A

Landing: 930023-215A

Pitot: 930023-205A

Fuel Pump: 930023-211A