Fuel Tank Reseal - Expensive...

Mark89114

Well, Bob, just goes to show--do your homework, check everything, make an appointment and cross all of your fingers . . .

When I was pondering mine, I even checked into Midwest Mooney's polyurethane sealing process, but it was prohibitively expensive and being phased out. Some here report good experiences with "discount" shops. As always, buyer beware and high prices do not necessarily mean high quality.

26 minutes ago, Hank said:

Well, Bob, just goes to show--do your homework, check everything, make an appointment and cross all of your fingers . . .

When I was pondering mine, I even checked into Midwest Mooney's polyurethane sealing process, but it was prohibitivel y expensive and being phased out. Some here report good experiences with "discount" shops. As always, buyer beware and high prices do not necessarily mean high quality.

Yeah, "just goes to show"... but show what? Put that engineer's hat on, dust off that slide rule, put the pencils in the pocket protector and go with bladders if you do not have a long body? :rolleyes:

I've had enough fun for today. Y'all are too easy.

With no real basis for my belief, My opinion is that the most pertinent fact regarding length of useful service of a tank is the type of sealant used, which relates to when it was manufactured.

This would be a good subject for a poll. Year of manufacture vs years before leaks/reseal.

And then someone to assemble the results.

56 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

With no real basis for my belief, My opinion is that the most pertinent fact regarding length of useful service of a tank is the type of sealant used, which relates to when it was manufactured.

I would suspect that "hangared, or not" might be even more pertinent.  If anyone decides to do a poll, it might be interesting to include climate and other environmental factors.

• Like 1

I would like to see a poll, but I don't know how we could allow for all of the unknown variables or those we have no control over or what the information would mean. For instance, how many previous owners, hangared, how much fuel, shock discs, and frequent bouncing are all factors and many more too. Maybe the best we could do is the date the bird was hatched in 5 year increments, tank capacity, allow for known years of suspect workmanship, the year of the first repair, and the year of full reseal or bladder installation.

Maybe someone with more skill can help...

With regards to sealant longevity, my '86 has never been resealed - at least no logged and that's over 30 years now.

I think we see a very broad range of years of how long tank sealant last. A very interesting comparison is to the Cessna Cardinals which have similar sealed tanks, but those birds don't get their tanks resealed - at least not yet and they were built between '68 to '78. So what's the big difference - you guessed it, the landing gear is attached to the fuselage rather than the wings so my guess is their is some truth to the notion of the need to change out of the landing disks and avoid hard landings to minimize the shock transfer to the wet wings.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

If the sealant is flexible, then hard landings should not be an issue because the sealant should flex with the wing. Maybe Cessna used a different procedure, did they pretreat the aluminum in any way that would result in the sealant adhering better? Does Cessna low wings require reseals?

Some Cessnas have sealed tanks, some Cessnas have bladders, and some Cessnas have modular aluminum tanks.  

I think 310s have bladders, but I'm not sure about other low-wing Cessnas.

Edited by EricJ

On 10/11/2017 at 5:05 AM, gsxrpilot said:

On the other hand, you can be down for two weeks every six months for another patch job, or get the full reseal and be done for another 20 years.

I've had my 51-year old airplane for 10 years now. No full strip and re-seal (according to the logs). It has had several patch jobs over the years, only 1 in my 10 years of ownership. Recently I noticed a bit more seepage and think it will be time for #2... I suppose its a case of "YMMV" but so far I am coming out ahead with the band-aid approach. If my tanks let go in a more out of control leaking fashion I might change my tune.

Edited by Immelman

• 2 years later...
On 10/16/2017 at 10:14 AM, ArtVandelay said:

If the sealant is flexible, then hard landings should not be an issue because the sealant should flex with the wing. Maybe Cessna used a different procedure, did they pretreat the aluminum in any way that would result in the sealant adhering better? Does Cessna low wings require reseals?

Cessna seals the tanks between overlapping aluminum. Mooney builds the plane and puts the sealant on top. 

-Robert 

Robert,

You have awakened a 2017 thread...

Which Mooney sealing process are you referring to... old millennium...before the 90s...

I believe the Long bodies had a newer process where things got sealed prior to assembly...

Then completed once assembled...

Not sure where to look that up, but it was sales material type information... easy to find.

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Cessna seals the tanks between overlapping aluminum. Mooney builds the plane and puts the sealant on top. 

-Robert 

It changed somewhere around 2005-2006, where the sealant was put in between the overlapping aluminum.

• 3 months later...
59 minutes ago, JRS said:

Hi, any updates and tank sealing.  I tried to call Dave at the above number in Allentown but says number is no longer in service.  My F model needs both tanks done, and I'm in NH.

Rgds

John

The big players are Paul Beck in MN and Wet Wingologists in FL. I talked to everyone back in 2010, all were about the same distance from WV (MN, FL and KGGG who uses Paul Beck's method; Midwest Mooney in IL had a different process that I think is no longer done, but it was by far the most expensive).

Check their schedule (when can they work you in), airline schedule and pricing (typically takes at least two weeks to do, and you'll need to go home then return to get the plane), and figure those costs into the quote.

The feeling when it is done is great! So is the 7-year warranty.