Batteryminder M20E

I replaced my old battery in 2016 with a new 12V Concorde sealed battery.  Its been a great battery and its never let me down, but I'd like to add a Batteryminder  model 128CEC1-AA-S5 that is specific for this battery.  Has anyone installed a connection for their batteryminder other than removing the fuselage access panel each time and opening the battery box to connect it?

51 minutes ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

I wouldn't open my battery box every time, thing is a pain the six.  I hooked up the business end of a cheap motorcycle tender to the battery, and snaked the leads out of the box into the engine bay.  They're tied off there.  All I have to do is open the access panel and plug in.  The same tender kept the battery in my Cherokee charged for better than six years.  Make it simple to get at and use, last thing you want to do on a cold day is fumble around with the battery.  What are you doing to keep the engine warm?

• Like 1

They make a small adapter, but I think they stopped including that in the aviation kit.  You can still get it for their automotive products.  That small connector is small enough that you can mount it adjacent to the external power plug such that when you open the external power door, you can plug in.  I don't have pictures handy, but PM me if you want more info on this option.  Important to fuse this in case it shorts.

Some people run the plug wire up into the hat rack area, but then you will have to leave the door (or luggage door) ajar, or run it through the weather seal. I have O2 and my elf ran it out through the O2 filler door.

• Like 1

I think the hat rack is a common place to put it, like Don mentioned. I have TKS and was able to run it to the filler door. I plug it in religiously because nothing shortens battery life like inactivity. Wherever you decide to put it, make it easy to connect otherwise you probably won't use it. I like the engine compartment idea but it might take a little more work.

IMG_0428.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Some people run the plug wire up into the hat rack area, but then you will have to leave the door (or luggage door) ajar, or run it through the weather seal. I have O2 and my elf ran it out through the O2 filler door.

I probably should have mentioned that my battery is located in the aft fuselage left (port) side just behind the luggage area. (But I think you understood that Don)   If I snake the lead wires from the battery to through the hackrack, for example, is there an issue of leaving the batteryminder plugged in and placed in the hat rack? Or does it need to be outside the Fuesrlsge? 

I'm no expert, but it would seem that there would be nothing wrong with leaving the BM in the plane. But I don't see any advantage. Your wire to the BM or the wire from the BM to the battery plug has to go into the plane some way. Extending the length of the wire from the BM is no problem. 

My preferences would be: (1) O2 door (2) battery jumper door, if you have room to put a plug in there (3) Hat rack (if you don't mind leaving the door or baggage door ajar) (5) Under the cowl (6) wire through the storm window to the hat rack (if you don't mind leaving the storm window open) As someone mentioned, if it is difficult to access, you will be tempted to avoid using it.

• Like 1

I hardwired mine to the battery. Wiring goes from battery through baggage compartment wall (under hatrack and at floor level) to a plug. Battery minder lives in baggage compartment.  Power to battery minder is controlled through a two relay GSM remote which also lives in baggage compartment and gets power through storm window. One relay controls battery minder and the other controls the engine preheater. I monitor and control through my iphone.

I’ll take pics next time I’m at the airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTK said:

I hardwired mine to the battery. Wiring goes from battery through baggage compartment wall (under hatrack and at floor level) to a plug. Battery minder lives in baggage compartment.  Power to battery minder is controlled through a two relay GSM remote which also lives in baggage compartment and gets power through storm window. One relay controls battery minder and the other controls the engine preheater. I monitor and control through my iphone.

Thanks PTK.  Sounds like a GREAT set up!  Please do send pics! I'd like to see what it looks like.

1 hour ago, PTK said:

Why not mount the relays and battery minder on the hangar wall, and run a wire from the battery minder through the storm window to a plug in the baggage compartment that is hard wired to the battery.

I put a nice Concorde battery in my C, it's under the cowl on the firewall. Left it there for 6 years 8 months, replaced 4 months before annual due to a trip to the boonies with no services. The engine was turning over slowly, but still cranked nicely. 

Read lots about battery minders of all makes and models, including automotive ones. Never got around to buying one, which almost paid for my battery last year. The first Concorde lived 4 years on the bank of the Ohio River before moving to Alabama, high humidity both places but higher nere and for longer; warmer, too.

Like everything else, you pays your money and takes yer chances . . . . I've reported my experience for your consideration of both sides of the story. I try to fly often, but she sometimes sits a few weeks. This year she sat for several months while i chased magneto gremlins, and cranked up after sitting for three months just like nothing.

6 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Why not mount the relays and battery minder on the hangar wall, and run a wire from the battery minder through the storm window to a plug in the baggage compartment that is hard wired to the battery.

Don, I would do that but I'm in a community hangar and things, i.e. radios, have been known to walk from inside planes let alone outside hanging on the wall...unfortunately! Not too long ago a friend of mine lost a 430 from inside his plane. Poor thing went for a walk to get some fresh air and never to be seen again...

Another small advantage of having it in the plane is that it can be used when away.

BatteryMinder options...

I had an extended discussion with the BM people trying to best understand the options...

1) I have a two battery system, which benefits to have a 'Y'

2) They also offer a receptical that can be installed near the baggage compartment or hat shelf to make the installation prettier.

3) My plan is to connect through the ground power door, at annual...

4) the Teflon coated aviation wires are a little more expensive than the PVC coated wires.  The experimentals use the PVC coated wires. I would stay with the Aviation quality since it is wired in place and stays 'hot' while unattended....

5) it is really cool to be able to check the charge level of the battery using the BM.  It has simple LEDs that indicate in quarters...

6) The parasitic electrical drain in my plane drains 1/2 the battery's capacity in about one month...

Fly as often as you can...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

You need better neighbors, Peter!

There was a rash a little while ago of radios walking. More so at a nearby airport than mine. They have installed cameras in the hangars which does make a big difference. 

20 hours ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

I replaced my old battery in 2016 with a new 12V Concorde sealed battery.  Its been a great battery and its never let me down, but I'd like to add a Batteryminder  model 128CEC1-AA-S5 that is specific for this battery.  Has anyone installed a connection for their batteryminder other than removing the fuselage access panel each time and opening the battery box to connect it?

This is the kit you will want to install. It has FAA approved components and has the logbook instructions to install it. 

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/audioathaik.php?clickkey=3602

If you have removed your step, you can run this to the plate that may have been installed and put the waterproof connector there. 

If if you have an external power port, I have seen it mounted there. 

50 minutes ago, Marauder said:

This is the kit you will want to install. It has FAA approved components and has the logbook instructions to install it. 

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/audioathaik.php?clickkey=3602

If you have removed your step, you can run this to the plate that may have been installed and put the waterproof connector there. 

If if you have an external power port, I have seen it mounted there. 

Takair had a similar idea.  Because I have a vacuum step, I may mount the connector inside and near the step opening.  Giving me just enough room to plug it in and keep the female connection tucked inside the fuselage. I’m going to look into this and will post pictures if I’m able to install it that way.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

Mine is hardwired with the terminal coming out the same hole as the GPU/APU/External Power plug.  All you have to do is open the little, spring-held door.

Sadly, on an M20E, there isn’t an APU unit or an external power plug door.  Or at least it wasn’t a stock item on mine. 

Edited by Whiskey Charlie

4 hours ago, PTK said:

Don, I would do that but I'm in a community hangar and things, i.e. radios, have been known to walk from inside planes let alone outside hanging on the wall...unfortunately! Not too long ago a friend of mine lost a 430 from inside his plane. Poor thing went for a walk to get some fresh air and never to be seen again...

Another small advantage of having it in the plane is that it can be used when away.

Makes sense. I didn't think of the community hangar.

i just leave the connector hanging out of the access panel...  My IA hates it and hes right next to my hangar and gives me crap about it.  But the cable only sticks out about 3 inches and is stiff enough its not flopping around.  easier than taking that panel off and on every time I take the plane out.  One day Ill get a field approval and a $4000 plug and access door setup with a 337 and blessing from the FAA commisioner until then dangly cord is it..

• Like 1