Nav LED lights

Vlakvark

I installed the Whelen Orion 650E series lights on mine along with the Orion 500 Series on the tail.  They are not cheap but allowed me to lose the old stobes and ballasts gaining like 6-7lbs back of useful load.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm planning on installing the Whelen Orion 650E's and the 500 in the tail of my M20K as well.

Same here for my M20J.  I just put a Parmetheus Plus in the nose and am happy with it.  Especially since my one and only light source to the outside world decided to go out on a night flight back into home base.  I'll take reliability over cost in this case. 

I just had the Whelen 650/500 combination installed in my K model at annual.  Lonnie at LASAR did a beautiful job of fabricating new mounting plates and aligning the lights, the wings are synced, and you can see them from probably two or three miles away on the ground, in broad daylight.  Couldn't be happier with my decision.  Next year, Sunspots! 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Yes, they even look good in the daytime.  I had the Whelen LED Flashing Beacon installed, too.

Here are mine, synced: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aj6bITv-9cUTkPVDXcnGZw3xgQrPYQ

IMG_20170726_152934.jpg

I did the same nav/strobe lights the end of June - my left strobe is now inop, The wiring is fine, so I think I'll have to send it back to Whelen,

• 5 weeks later...
What's the approximate total costs to buy and install tip and tail strobes? Is it a DIY with supervision kinda thing or somewhat tricky?

Depends on what you have now. I had factory Whalen strobes that were an easy replacement with LEDs. You need to pull the power packs for the wing strobes. For the tail, you’ll need to run a second wire if you want the strobe and solid white light both to work.

Around $1,500 for the hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have those (or very similar) in my '82 K version and just upgraded to all LEDs.  I went with the more expensive Whelen Orion 650E and the 500 for the tail.  It was not a hard upgrade. You remove three strobe ballasts and gain about 6-7lbs of useful load back.  I chose to run a sync wire to sync all the strobes up.  I did most of the work and my IA signed off on the work.

Take a look at this thread with pictures and video:

If you decide to go with these, I can save you about 7% because of my spruce discount.  PM me for details.