North Western Wyoming Yesterday

chrisk

I'm just curious if anyone else was flying in North Western Wyoming /  South Western Montana.   I left from Cody WY for a trip back to Texas.  Strong surface winds made me think more than twice about taking off.  Lots of turbulence.  And once of the strongest mountain waves I've been in. 

19 minutes ago, chrisk said:

Strong surface winds made me think more than twice about taking off. 

I grew up and learned to fly in Western Montana and the mountains.  With surface winds like this there is no way I would be messing around going over the mountains.

wind.jpg

It's why I was wheels up at 10am, why I largely stayed mostly east of the mountains, and why I flew at 15,000 feet.  Surface winds were at my personal limits.  Unfortunately, there is not a strong black and white line for surface winds.  It's gray.  Different for all of us and every type of aircraft and location.   Its a good place for discussion and learning.   It made for a very high work load and not something I would have wanted to do at night or in IMC.  --As for the winds out of Cody, I'd estimate 20kts, gusts to 25kts.  The AWOS reported less and seemed suspect.

Capture.JPG.87fb3ef199f80cb56ebacb2cd87f4a42.JPG

Here are the winds history.  The night before was worse.  It claims 21 gusting to 41 mph.  Again, I'm not sure I believe it.  I've never been in wind before where I thought it might topple me.  It had to be stronger.  --That was easy, the plane was staying tied to the ground. 

Capture.JPG