Any ovations around socal

Niko182

Well as the title says, I'm trying to look at an Ovation and see what the plane is like.
Preferably would rather take a look at an Ovation 2 GX or 3, but i'm not complaining
If its any of the other Long body mooneys including an Acclaim or Bravo or an original
Ovation 1. I'm located at KSNA or John wayne, but could probs take the 172, and get a
bit of a distance to meet. Thanks in Advanced.

Nik

Just now, gsengle said:

Just curious why you want only a g1000 Ovation when there are such better retrofits available these days, and you'll pay a lot less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad personally loves the g1000. The mooneys thats ive found lately consisted of Mooney Ovations 2gx's, and 3's. and ive only found a couple, like 3 or 4 Ovations in my budget, and they were all GX mooneys so i dont see the point of going for a retrofit if its the same price. i really haven't found any Regular 6 pack ovation 2's for sale either. And i can't find any retrofit mooney ovations either.

You don't find a retrofit Ovation you make one. The g1000 is getting pretty old now. I wouldn't personally buy one, especially with the stec autopilot...

Look at all the new glass and other upgrades emerging now. Dynon, Garmin, etc. new pfd, autopilots etc

4 minutes ago, gsengle said:

You don't find a retrofit Ovation you make one. The g1000 is getting pretty old now. I wouldn't personally buy one, especially with the stec autopilot...

Look at all the new glass and other upgrades emerging now. Dynon, Garmin, etc. new pfd, autopilots etc

I understand that you retrofit it, but i cant find any Ovations That come with a 6 pack, and if they come with the G1000, im happy enough with that.

3 minutes ago, gsengle said:

You'll pay 50-100k more and still end up replacing it :)

the cheapest ovation I have found was 249k which was an ovation 2GX. I found an Ovation 3 for 259k which is the 310hp which is something i would also like. I found a 2DX for about 280k but i dont see the point of spending more for a 6 pack, and 280hp instead of 310hp.

Well niko theres a basic attitude of those who believe items in a blog, 

The crappy G long bodies those equipped with the G 1000 are trash

The don't have waas Adsb are full of avionics that are costly to maintain etc

Stec 55x  suck

My G and many here and others Im aware have had little or minimal repairs

G models are and have been upgraded to waas, Adsb and if wanted the 700 autopilot 

Ive had close to 0 avionic repairs in over 11 years of ownership.

Why no buy an older non G. Your upgrades to comparable most likely will be north of $50 to $100, the Gs have been discounted for the lack of noted above

Drink the coolaid or not your choice.

Ask Jeff G1000. waas Adsb large screens which on can see.

Im not bashing other Mooneys merely giving my opinion on many years of flying behind. G model. There all great even Greggs.

My point is not that the G1000 models aren't good airplanes. My point is it will be a much more expensive route to go, if you're planning to upgrade. Starting with the purchase price.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/21002265/1999-mooney-m20r-ovation

That's not my point. My point is that the G1000 is getting long in the tooth, and if you intend to upgrade, it's likely cheaper not to pay for the G1000.

That Skyview HDX looks very nice. As do the new Garmin screens and autopilots.

Now a secondary point that I haven't yet made is that a waas airplane is a waas airplane, they all have the same capability whether it's a g1000 or a 430. It's a very expensive nice to have is all.

The O mentioned you'll need 50-100 G to get comparable avionics, the 100g may be light making the 99 O $265,000+ after the upgrades.

I believe getting a pre G model is great, what ticks me off are the quick handed remarks to stay away from the G's going forward, really do the math for similar avionics 

G500-600. gtn 750/650, L-3 or 345 Adsb, new autopilot when available stormscope and much more. 

The O mentioned you'll need 50-100 G to get comparable avionics, the 100g may be light making the 99 O $265,000+ after the upgrades.

I believe getting a pre G model is great, what ticks me off are the quick handed remarks to stay away from the G's going forward, really do the math for similar avionics 

G500-600. gtn 750/650, L-3 or 345 Adsb, new autopilot when available stormscope and much more. 

Have you looked at the skyview HDX pricing? I don't think you're looking at the way the math is changing. I'm sitting on the sidelines while it settles out.

And problems with g1000 upgrades and Mooney were real. Just do your homework.

What ticks me off is people dismissing the pre g1000 airplanes out of hand which is what the op seemed to imply. Don't you agree that you should do your homework and think it through?

Have you looked at the skyview HDX pricing? I don't think you're looking at the way the math is changing. I'm sitting on the sidelines while it settles out.

And problems with g1000 upgrades and Mooney were real. Just do your homework.

What ticks me off is people dismissing the pre g1000 airplanes out of hand which is what the op seemed to imply. Don't you agree that you should do your homework and think it through?

That's what I was responding to. And trying to provide some balance, not bashing any g1000 plane. It is true that a g1000 commands a big premium, no?

2 questions. I am really confused as if the g1000 is good or crap. I have done quite a bit of research in the past year, and have seen that they are good, so could you cite some links on why it would be a bad decision. I'm just trying to find all my facts. second, This wasn't really a debate but more as a post to try to get an idea what the ovation o long body is like to be in. I just like the idea of the 3GX because it includes a 310HP engine, which will help me throughout the shorter runways i"m taking off. shortest runway i fly to consistently is about 2300 ft long. Additionally, the g1000 looks really nice, and it may attract chumps like me want to have it, but ive flown one once, and it was quite a nice experience. I would want a GFC700 but i believe that is out of my budget, and so is waas with the g1000. I could get waas with a 430 or 530 probably.

These observations are from information I've read on this site - so since I read it on the internet, take it for just that info from the internet....  The g1000 is certified with the plane.  Electronics you add to a non-g1000 planes can be replaced/upgraded at your discretion.  I don't believe there is a way to upgrade the g1000 planes until mooney and garmin certify an upgrade.  Does anyone know if the g1000 could be removed and replaced with the latest garmin gear or something else?  Problem is these g1000's are  computers and they are a 15 year or so old design now - when is the last time you used a 15 year old computer.  Honesty, that's the problem with all of the electronics - rapid depreciation.  

As you can see from the comments above,  people who have them seem love them.  However, there is a recent  post from a guy with a nearly new acclaim with the g1000 who misses his g500 garmin gear - but looks like he flys for a living and that may be noise most folks.

Also, the  g1000 planes are newer and have a lower panel - there seems to be a dx version that has the lower panel as well.  

Read this for some ideas about what people have done to upgrade their panels.