Skates97

JPI EDM Rebates 10/1/17-1/31/18

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Problem is when you upgrade the $2500 830 turns into a $500 core. Not really an upgrade path IMO. 

That is true, I was just posting that the 830 probes and wire harness can be used for the 900 upgrade. I would by the 900 at full price and sell the new probes with my 830.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

That is true, I was just posting that the 830 probes and wire harness can be used for the 900 upgrade. I would by the 900 at full price and sell the new probes with my 830.

This is a great idea. However, I would use the 900 installation manual to install all the probes unless they are identical. Might save some time later on. 

This is a great idea. However, I would use the 900 installation manual to install all the probes unless they are identical. Might save some time later on. 

I hope to be doing the upgrade first of next year if you are interested in my 830?:)

30 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I hope to be doing the upgrade first of next year if you are interested in my 830?:)

Already have one and really like it but I’ll be watching for your thread to explore new ways to spend money. 

• Like 1

I have had a 930 in my 231 since about 2009.  I love it, its great.  I redid the whole panel aat the time, including the metal, and removed all the factory gauges that are replaced by the 930.  I put the 930 on the left side, and having it in my scan has saved my bacon more than once.  lf something is going wrong with the engine, I know it immediately.  There are a few things to be aware of though.  If you lose your alternator and have to shut the Master off, you have no engine instruments.  The same would be true of most of the factory gauges, but bear in mind that there is no backup other than the main battery(ies).  The RAD will not show anything either.  The JPI will not display vacuum unless they have changed that.  It displays everything else.  The tank gauges still rely on the old factory senders.  They are not very good in my plane, so performance of the tank gauges is mediocre.  EI has better tank gauges, supposedly usable only with the EI.  Lastly, the JPI probes and gauges are likely to be more sensitive than what you had on the panel, so you will see slight excursions where the factory gauges see nothing.  For example, my RPM limit is 2700 and sometimes I see 2710 or 20.  The factory gauge would not have registered a difference that small.

If I understand correctly putting in a 900 would eliminate the oil and fuel lines that are inside the cabin, correct? Seems like that is a biggest reason to put in the 900 instead of the 830. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skates97 said:

If I understand correctly putting in a 900 would eliminate the oil and fuel lines that are inside the cabin, correct? Seems like that is a biggest reason to put in the 900 instead of the 830. 

Yep. The transducers are usually mounted on the firewall, so no more fluid lines inside the cabin!

• Like 1

You still have your fuel lines running along your feet - so no - fuel lines are not totally removed from the cabin.  But the oil and fuel lines are out of the panel.  I would take that as a plus.  On many of our planes the fuel line is a brittle piece of aluminum (not aero flex or similar hose) and runs directly under my highest concentration of electrical wiring and switches (CBs).  I have cracked that line in the past manipulating it to remove the CB panel.  So any less exposure to fuel in the cockpit is better imo. 

Just now, bradp said:

You still have your fuel lines running along your feet - so no - fuel lines are not totally removed from the cabin.  But the oil and fuel lines are out of the panel.  I would take that as a plus.  On many of our planes the fuel line is a brittle piece of aluminum (not aero flex or similar hose) and runs directly under my highest concentration of electrical wiring and switches (CBs).  I have cracked that line in the past manipulating it to remove the CB panel.  So any less exposure to fuel in the cockpit is better imo. 

Right...in the cabin, but much less likely to spray fluid on a circuit breaker.

Notice how the JPI rebates keep getting smaller....

With all the guys installing 830's and 900's now - here is an installation tip.  The drawings show the EGT probes mounted from the outside - just the right place to get bent and work every time you take the cowl off.  I install them angled 45 degrees on the inside.  A little more difficult to install, but then they are safe and the wiring is easier.

Don

Notice how the JPI rebates keep getting smaller....
With all the guys installing 830's and 900's now - here is an installation tip.  The drawings show the EGT probes mounted from the outside - just the right place to get bent and work every time you take the cowl off.  I install them angled 45 degrees on the inside.  A little more difficult to install, but then they are safe and the wiring is easier.

Don

Like this?
639035a730e1801d8cddafe62ba9e4bd.jpg

No, 180 degrees to that - pointing backwards and to the inside of the engine, then keep the wires along the primer system.

Aerodon

• Like 1