iPad Mini mount for M20J

SkipSS

Looking to see best solution to mount an iPad Mini in a 93 J, what are others using?  I’m a new Mooney pilot and haven’t had enough time flying it to investigate.

My guess is a pilot yoke mount would be best yet I see some photos of people placing them on copilot side. 

4A158CC1-62CF-49D5-995A-AEB7D9ED5516.thumb.jpeg.7860bc78174833a1d1634b6fbd73cd7a.jpeg

Ram makes a bunch of different mounts that can mount on the yoke or on the side or windshield with suction cups. My iPad Mini is relegated to approach plates and I like having on the yoke in front of me.

Search “ram” on this site and you will find a bunch of threads on the topic. 

@Marauder's setup looks similar to mine. The differences might be:

1. I use a Tab-Tite cradle rather than a form fitting one. It is a little more flexible in the sizes it will accept and I don’t need to throw it away when my next tablet is a slightly different size. I bought it when I had a full size iPad and just needed to get new cup ends when I moved to the mini.

2. I have a Roto-View plate which allows me to rotate the iPad from portrait to landscape. A nice convenience, although I don’t use it as much with my Mini as I did with my full-size.

• Like 1

On the copilot side I would recommend a larger iPad. The mini works perfectly on the yoke. I have mine mounted the same as @Marauder with the form fitted ram mount upside down except mine is mounted to the right as much as possible. The shell for the mini is ~$20 and with talk of discontinuing that size I might not upgrade for a long time.  The real trick is getting the angle right so the instruments behind are not blocked.  The only items blocked for me include the strobe and nav light switch. My install was a little more difficult because the aspen knob clearance and the tube clamp. 

3C648955-D56F-4F7A-BC3B-2DA3A54E90DB.jpeg

• Like 2

I use an x-mount on the yoke (RAM maybe?).  I love it, but I'd recommend getting something that can hold a larger ipad, too.  IIRC, apple may be discontinuing the mini, or at least I've heard rumors.  Of course, doesn't mean you can't use a mini for a good while.  

+1- I use a Ram x-mount with an ipad mini on the yoke.  I use the ipad primarily for plates and adsb weather in flight, relying on the IFR GPS and the 796 for in flight navigation.  I used to use one of the form fitting ram mounts, but I had a mini slide off the wing and break the corner of the glass screen.  Fortunately the ipad still worked, but the ipad is slick without a cover on it.

Biggest challenge I have had is that I'm frequently flying west in the morning with sun coming through the pilot side window heating up the ipad.  A silicone case probably insulates the ipad a bit- if the ipad is sitting in the sun I usually take it off the yoke to keep it cool.

Hoping we'll get an iPad mini pro- at times the ipad mini 4 gets bogged down running garmin pilot.

9 minutes ago, smccray said:

I used to use one of the form fitting ram mounts, but I had a mini slide off the wing and break the corner of the glass screen.  Fortunately the ipad still worked, but the ipad is slick without a cover on it  

Hoping we'll get an iPad mini pro- at times the ipad mini 4 gets bogged down running garmin pilot.

I use a cheap leather sleeve to store the iPad in my flight bag.  I also hope a new mini is released in the future. 52CFCBCC-4F7D-4B55-9741-5C56498A566D.thumb.jpeg.fe73685bd72ffea9142684ecb76876f8.jpeg

Apple has shown that there is no standard size that fits all...

From tiny iphones to gigantic iPad pros...

The only limitations they have are where they fit for mounting...

1) in one's pockets.

2) on the yoke.

3) on the knee.

4) in a temp panel mount.

5) on the visor.

6) on the right seat.

7) in the right seater's hands.

Considerations for other things like...

8) keeping out of direct sunlight/heat challenge.

9) keeping off the floor and down low out of view of gps satellites.

10) keeping in view of ground based com antennas.  Texting and internet weather for some.

I'm still a knee board and ADSB kind of guy.  Every now and then I receive a text while flying....

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, MIm20c said:

On the copilot side I would recommend a larger iPad. The mini works perfectly on the yoke. I have mine mounted the same as @Marauder with the form fitted ram mount upside down except mine is mounted to the right as much as possibl

Hi, does your mount go under the yoke or over?  I have tried this and under hits my knees; over block the instruments.

Haven't tried upside down...

iain

46 minutes ago, milotron said:

Hi, does your mount go under the yoke or over?  I have tried this and under hits my knees; over block the instruments.

iain

When I used the same holder as is in Mlm20C's photo I set the mount over the top of the yoke and used the ipad mini up side down.  If the holder were right side up it blocked the instruments, and if I went under the yoke the ipad mini was too low.  With the x-grip I have it setup under the yoke and it works just fine.

4 hours ago, milotron said:

iain

As @smccray mentioned I cross over the right side of the yoke with a short or medium arm (can’t remember which) and attach it to the holder mounted upside down. My problem was the clamp to Aspen knob space was minimal so I had to use a non standard clamp to make it work. 

I use the IPAD mini with the Ram mount applied to the top. I don't know how to re-load the pictures but you can see the set-up by looking at my personal profile pictures.

A charge cord plugs into the top of the IPAD and is threaded into the lower end of the panel over to the cigarette lighter. Nothing is in the way. I found the regular size IPAD to be to large to fit comfortably between the handles on the yoke. However, the larger one does fit, just to tight for my preference.

I have a flexible arm shaft clamped on the copilot side to the bars that hold the cables to the throttle mixture.   Works really well.   I would have to look too far down at the yoke, but I am taller than the average bear.   The flexible arm shaft brings it out closer to see and move things around.  Tablet to follow the majenta line.  and check airspeed and heading against the primary instruments.   Phone to do the AFD and planning stuff.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Quality-Lightweight-Tablet-Lazy-360-Degree-Flexible-Arm-Table-Holder-Stand-For-Ipad/945897388