201er

A few things I learned IFR

34 minutes ago, daver328 said:

Generally Speaking: unless the conditions are rapidly changing, and sometimes they are ... I’m personally not an advocate of conducting numerous approaches.

In 201er’s case, he had changing conditions and used a second approach with lower mins. That’s all good.

At times when it’s just socked-in, and not burning off ... best to divert early (with more gas) rather than later. 

Just my opinion.

@201er ... ty for sharing 

I agree and this time they were rapidly changing. In the span of about 30 mins it went from 800 overcast to 600 to 400 to 200 and back to 400. Half an hour after I landed it went to 1200 overcast so it was just a matter of time. I had to pick someone up at this airport so it wasn't a matter of just going somewhere else and driving a rental car a little further.

Nearby airports were marginal VFR. It was pretty smooth and non-convective. I had enough fuel to divert to Florida with more than legal reserves -_-

Edited by 201er
  • Like 2

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

18 minutes ago, 201er said:

Nearby airports were marginal VFR. It was pretty smooth and non-convective. I had enough fuel to divert to Florida with more than legal reserves -_-

My primary concern would be the fatigue factor. There is no shame in going to an alternate and paying for an Uber ride.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyboy0681 said:

My primary concern would be the fatigue factor. There is no shame in going to an alternate and paying for an Uber ride.

I'm not sure I could catch an Uber back to PA from Florida.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I used my first Uber at The Summit.

Other stuff I learned on MS!

what is the usual number of approaches one tries before going elsewhere?

Any allowances for not flying the approach well and going missed, vs. the weather being below mins...

Back in the day, i couldn't maintain recency enough to fly approaches in Imc (comfortably at other airports)

Best regards,

-a-

I'll let the KFC150 shoot the approaches until it gets tired and then we'll go somewhere else. :D

15 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'll let the KFC150 shoot the approaches until it gets tired and then we'll go somewhere else. :D

having gpss and letting the AP fly the hold and entry is huge.

• Like 1