Survival Kit Discussion

General U.K. Question. What  satellite system does your search and rescue system use. I.e. Coast guard or Air Force? Here we use NOAA. Online form with name and PW and you can regester to complete it with in minutes. Even when we used to mail them in it didn't take more than a week to get  confirmation they received it and send you a little sticker .

Even the PLBs are included along with the ELTs- same process.

-Matt

7 hours ago, Buster1 said:

Here's an in depth article I posted a while back about building survival packs.

Buster, thank you for an EXCELLENT write-up on this issue. That sling bag that you repurposed (when I saw it I thought you had designed it!) is absolutely brilliant. It even has a 'D-ring' to clip your PLB onto.

Now I will hit you with a specific survival prep question. Once a year I fly my E back and forth from KBPT to KAXH for Annual. This requires crossing Trinity Bay, which is quite shallow and full of gators. I often think, what if I had to ditch in it? Well, easy to land on water and being in the Houston Metroplex, rescue should be fairly fast. But what about those gators?

When I did my long cross country 30 odd years ago, I specifically flew around Lake Okeechobee in spite of the fact that my flight plan had me going across the middle. A week before I had read an article on how the gator population in Florida was 'recovering' and how some ridiculous percentage of them were IN THAT LAKE.

So, ditch your Mooney in the water, see beady little eyes approaching for a snack, what to do? 

42 minutes ago, HRM said:

What raft?

...the pistol idea isn't too bad and I am in Texas after all.

Didn't yiu read Andrew's comments above about life rafts? Carry one over water, and  make sure its easy to get into, and quickly in case of nearby saurians! Bang! Bang! One of the few times I'd favor an automatic with 12-15 round magazine over my trusty .41 magnum Super Blackhawk. (What a nice, aviation-friendly name for a large revolver . . .  ;) ).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 11:07 AM, HRM said:

Now I will hit you with a specific survival prep question. Once a year I fly my E back and forth from KBPT to KAXH for Annual. This requires crossing Trinity Bay, which is quite shallow and full of gators. I often think, what if I had to ditch in it? Well, easy to land on water and being in the Houston Metroplex, rescue should be fairly fast. But what about those gators?

Trinity Bay is generally salt water.   Gators don't really like salt water.    you are more likely to cut your foot on oysters and catch flesh eating bacteria.   Set it down in the water next to some salt grass patch and walk off the wing to the patch.  Wait for the next fishing boat to come pick you up.

• Like 1