Take of fuel flow on M20K

Vlakvark

See if anyone has posted power charts in the download section for your engine combination...

I recall a very similar conversation regarding T/O settings and expectations as the vary depending who supplied what parts like the intercooler....

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, Vlakvark said:

What should the take off fuel flow be on a m20k. No intercooler but marlyn waste gate. Take off setting 39" and props full forward -+ 2700rpm. Im only getting 21.8gph on JPI 830

Mine's at 24.9-25.0, exactly where I want it. It took a number of fine adjustments to get it there but fortunately that screw is easy to get to without removing the cowl.

• Like 1

At 21.8, you can not enjoy the plane that you own!  Sounds like a 700 ft/min climb to me.

I set it up at 25.5

If you go to 26, there is a negative effect.  At less than 25, cylinder temps will raise and you will have to lower the nose.

Remember that the Sid97 is only a guide!

I had similar flows.  Got fixed at annual as part of the fuel pressure retuning for the intercooler install.  I see 25GPH on takeoff now, I can pitch for 90 knots, and climb at 1100FPM at 35" with CHTs down around 370.  It's like a whole different plane.

• 3 years later...
On 10/5/2017 at 10:08 AM, KLRDMD said:

Mine's at 24.9-25.0, exactly where I want it. It took a number of fine adjustments to get it there but fortunately that screw is easy to get to without removing the cowl.

Do you tighten or loosen the screw? It’s been a few years and I need to add a little more fuel. 

2 hours ago, Bigpunch8 said:

Do you tighten or loosen the screw? It’s been a few years and I need to add a little more fuel. 

You quoted a four year old post and I don't recall. I just watched as my IA did the actual adjustment.

3 hours ago, Bigpunch8 said:

You shouldn’t really just turn up the max fuel flow without first checking the low unmetered fuel pressure.  The procedure used to be in SID97-3G, it’s now in the engine maintenance manual.

Clarence

Nothing more complex than the M20K’s fuel system…

Always good to mention your AP will be making the adjustments following the procedures…

So many adjustments affect other system performances… that is why the manuals get followed…

Its not a simple turn the screw, and everything will be good… (wish it was… :))

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-