Fancy Smancy Checklist

Hello my fellow Birdmen out there in Mooney Land. I have scoured the internet and not having any luck. I have a really nice Check List by Jim Price that was on the Dauntless website for a Mooney M-20C Ranger. I like his overall layout, but I would like to change some of the data to match my new aircraft a 1975 M-20C. Do you guys have this attached Checklist in RAW Excel or Word Data that I can get a copy of? I have emailed Jim but the one he sent back was similar but not it. I have been building one up, but not near as nice as Jim's. Thank you

Fly Smart

Ryan

jim_price_m20c-ranger checklist.pdf

Did you ask Jim?

He is around here somewhere...

Sometimes found with Phil Corman.

I believe they have something called  the Mooney Flyer, an e-paper of sorts...

You might also check the download section here. Some checklists have been posted by other Mooney pilots there.

Expect that you probably want to update whatever you find to better suit your needs.  Even the fancy ones age with time...

Best regards,

-a-

I made mine "from scratch" as a word doc and then had it printed and laminated, using some fine examples from elsewhere in the Mooney community. I found the exercise to be thought-provoking and useful and made a few revisions over the years... I would suggest doing the same. I think you'll get a lot out of it.

And somewhat important, this should be something done for your specific airplane. WHY? equipment changes. There are things such as the autopilot in my plane that have an AFM supplement with a required sequence of checks before flight. That is just one example.. every airplane is different.

Even looking at it again now, there are a few more optimizations I would do... sometimes, "less is more".

One change I made several years ago, after going to fly professionally: checklists are no longer "DO" lists. I don't write out how to do a runup, or to start the engine, or really anything that is normally done on each flight. I put things on the list to CHECK that the important things were accomplished. I read the checklist after I do the relevant task. Exceptions are emergency/non normals where I want to be sure all the important steps are listed as they are not commonly done.

M20E_checklist_r4_jul_2014.pdf

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 3

I also wrote my own in Word, straight from the Owners Manual. Then I updated it to match my plane, rearranged things to suit me and played with the spacing so that no section broke across a page. 

Go into Help and check "booklet layout," I don't remember how it works. Each page prints in landscape on both sides (using my cheapo single-sided printer), then folds in half to make a booklet. This gave me enough pages to include most of the Performance Charts so I don't need to flip through the ancient Owners Manual wheb setting power on every flight.

Use it a couple times, make notes in flight, edit and print. When you like it, print it, soft laminate it, put them in order, fold into a book and sew it together. Viola! A custom checklist for your plane. Mine is now 10 years old and holding up well.

+1 on rolling your own, mine is a combo of POH,  additional Equipment, natural Flow, an old Checkmate list...etc.  Backside has W&B, Performance charts. I used Excel (spreadsheet) for more formatting options (at least for me), printed on Card Stock and laminated, it's actually smaller than a full sheet of paper, I also have a copy on the iPad that I can leave open or open it in WingX..... It's a work in progress and has changed several times in the past 3 years.  

Gentlemen yes I am, and have written, a checklist. I over all like the color, layout, formatting of Jims an wanted to mirror his. Yes I have adjusting/tweaked it just for my acft. Yes I have mirrored the POH. Guess my above request was lost in translation. I have been taking little bits and ideas from all the ones you guys have provided. Heavy laminate with checklist rings with performance info an Emergncy section. Pilot proofed it! Will get it posted here for others if needed. Thanks for all the help

Fly Smart

Ryan

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to revive this thread to say thanks.  I decided to do a search before asking for people's checklist, and sure enough, here it is.  I somehow lost mine during my last trip to Atlanta.  I was worried I'd leave something off if I did it from scratch.  ;)

I once lost my check list between the glare shield and windshield....

you can read the checklist from outside!

Took a day and a piece of tape to fish it back out... 

Reminder....  take a few pictures of it, save it to your iPad documents.... :)

It is tough being a human being...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1