Mike Miles Test Pilot, Retires after 41.5 years

mooneygirl

Hello All,

I wanted to let you know that I was able to sneak from CA to Kerrville to help celebrate the retirement of Mike Miles. Mike was a test pilot for most of his 41.5 years at Mooney. Bill Wheat was like a father to him.  Mike is a quiet fellow but is wicked smart and can fly a Mooney like no one else. I first met him when the idea of the documentary was born.  He said no to me quite a few times [which is rare in my experience] and finally agreed.  I am so happy that he gave us so many stories about his work in the Skunk Works, and how he tested that air frame like crazy.

Pia Bergqvist the Executive Editor of Flying Magazine was due to fly her Mooney ['74 C model] Manny to Chandler, AZ and pick up Richard Simile and the 2018 Mooney Ovation Ultra.  I had been trying to figure out how to get to TX so I asked Pia if I could tag along.  She said yes and we were off to Chandler in Manny.  I happened to have my IFR visor in my bag, so Pia flew under the hood on the approach.  We picked up Richard and the Ultra and were on our way to Alamogordo, NM.  We made it through the VFR corridor between the restricted areas [White Sands Missile Range] and landed just in time to get a courtesy car [From Exile FBO] and head to the White Sands National Monument for sunset.  The next day was IFR to Kerrville. Pia hand flew the whole way and was IMC for 2.5 hours of the 3.5 hour flight.  Again donning the hood she flew the approach to Kerrville complete with procedure turn and time in the hold. 

Friday was the BBQ for Mike Miles at the factory.  He is such a humble man.  He was overwhelmed at the outpouring of love and admiration from everyone at Mooney.  We all enjoyed wonderful BBQ and laughs.  On Saturday, Tom Bowen [former COO] of Mooney arranged for his family to attend the MAPA banquet and had a lovely presentation for Mike. 

Saturday was the formation photo shoot for the December issue of Flying Magazine.  I was in Mooney Photo 1 [Acclaim] with pilot Tony Paradis [Test pilot at Mooney for two years now], photographer Jon Whittle and myself right seat. The baggage door was removed for the photo shoot and Jon sat in the luggage compartment.  Pia flew the Ovation Ultra with Richard in the right seat.  I had flown formation with Pia. She is very accomplished having received training in Oregon, and getting her formation race card at Reno this year.  We were up at 5, at the airport at 6 a.m. and in the air about 6:30 a.m.  After we completed the sunrise photos we headed back toward the factory. Tony asked if I wanted to fly lead to which I enthusiastically said, "Yes".  We did several low passes with the factory in the background.  After our last pass we flew out to Mike's ranch outside of Kerrville and did a formation fly-by.  Mike texted me that he was outside waving. 

We flew back to Chandler and then loaded up Manny and I flew him back to Camarillo.  I thought maybe some of you would be interested in this story.  Of course, check out Flying's December issue to see Pia's full article.  Mooney flight makes our family so much closer.  Life is so good.

IMG_E1359.JPG

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_E1251.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_E1080.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_E1003.JPG

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

• Like 8

I was introduced to Mike during a factory tour, organised by former Sales Executive, (the lovely) Susan Harrison after the factory closure with only a small number of staff on hand.  I was also there for Homecoming.  I gained the same impression of Mike as you did Jolie,  a most humble gentleman.  I wish Mike well in his retirement.