G1000 in Type Certificate

Jeff_S

Hey all,

It's accepted knowledge that to get any changes to the G1000 systems (e.g. our WAAS upgrades, etc.) they have to be certified by both Garmin and Mooney. But I'm curious where the documentation is to support this. I've gone through the M20 Type Certificate and it makes no mention of the G1000. Is there something in the POH? Or elsewhere?

My reason for asking is to further my ambition of removing the remaining spinning gyros in the plane. The most likely place to start is with the backup electrical AI, which could potentially expand to the backup ASI and altimeter as well. The Ultras are using the Mid-Continent device in lieu of this and it's pretty slick. But I'm researching how possible this is. At the Summit it was suggested I talk to Paul Kehner at Mooney and I will, but I know his answer will have to be somewhat diplomatic based on internal discussions. So I'm trying to learn just how this type of equipment is governed in our installation.

Any thoughts appreciated...thanks!

Jeff

That's it...thanks! I didn't realize I was looking at a version of the TC that predated the G1000. I got the latest one...now I have to sift through CFR 14 part 23 and all those amendments!

• Like 1

Jeff, I think you'll find the MD-302 SAM is about the only approved backup instrument that will actually fit in your panel within proper proximity of your scan.  I've seen a couple of newer Ovation and Acclaim owners put it on the left side of their PFD, remove the vertical 3-pack on the far right, and patch the rectangle.  And you're right - it does look slick when done, and I'm told isn't a really invasive install.  Unless you already have one, I'll see if I can dig up a pic...

Steve

For Dan - the Master and ALT Field switches go below the PFD to the right of the TKS control panel.  The EMERG Bus switch goes further right of the control column and the gear.

For Jeff - I don't believe there is a preference as to where the SAM has to be located.  Looking at it from a scan perspective, if you're used to looking that far right to fly by your backup 3-pack, then it makes sense for you to put the SAM there, else, you could opt for the location in the photo.

I've flown behind the SAM in a couple of different aircraft, and although I wound up buying the L-3 ESI-500 for my Ovation, I agree with you again that the SAM was impressive to sit behind, and after a few hours on it as part of partial-panel drills, wouldn't hesitate to install one if I couldn't have the ESI for any reason.

Steve