Are there any Radio guys freelancing

I am starting this project and have already ran into badness from the previous owners.  I can fully understand why avionics installation is so expensive.   Is there anyone near ND that can be recommended.  I'm done going to the local FBOs and getting my wallet stripped and not getting anything in return. 

The plan is I found a Cessna 150 that has a Garmin 750W with adsb out for a steal. My thinking was swap equipment and resell the Cessna. If money worked I'd come out ahead. And while it was down for annual I'd be installing a rayjay and fixing up panels.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I installed all my new avionics reciently. It involved building new radio rack sheet metal and cleaning up the plane wireing. The avionics dealer I was working with asked me how long it took me. I said about 70 hours all together. He said that is about right. 

He said almost everybody bitches about the install cost. 

I can tell you it is a lot more work then you imagin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I installed all my new avionics reciently. It involved building new radio rack sheet metal and cleaning up the plane wireing. The avionics dealer I was working with asked me how long it took me. I said about 70 hours all together. He said that is about right. 

He said almost everybody bitches about the install cost. 

I can tell you it is a lot more work then you imagin.

That's funny you just posted ..  I was looking at youtube videos of a company that shows home builders how it is done and I literally just told my wife I am never going to have enough free time to get all this done and be able to run a business, be a husband and have time to sleep.  I have all the tools and I have most if not all the connectors but time I am short on.  I need to win the lottery. 

My plans are rapidly changing.  I took the co pilot side off and can't believe how bad the wiring is.  I want to start with that panel remove all the crap and install my JPI830, a USB power plug and 12V outlet.  Replace all the old circuit breakers and move all the scattered one to a central location.  Then if that works move to the radio stack and this is where I am not sure of how to go about it.  there are a lot of components to connect.  After that move over to the pilot side and install a standard six pack electric gauge set up with LED lights and replace all the switches.

I think you would be best to get a newer F or J panel out of a scrap plane.  The far right side circuit breaker panel would be a vast improvement.   Even Mooney just laid all the wires up along the front of firewall.  I redid a boat with 8 switches and got a bunch of the plastic wire wrap to create smaller bundles.  That was a big help.  I put myself through college installing two way radios.  Seems like 20 hours in a Mooney to swap a couple of components is about right.  Consider buying a premade harness would speed things up.  Get a decent audio panel if you are going to start pulling things out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

My plans are rapidly changing.  I took the co pilot side off and can't believe how bad the wiring is.  I want to start with that panel remove all the crap and install my JPI830, a USB power plug and 12V outlet.  Replace all the old circuit breakers and move all the scattered one to a central location.  Then if that works move to the radio stack and this is where I am not sure of how to go about it.  there are a lot of components to connect.  After that move over to the pilot side and install a standard six pack electric gauge set up with LED lights and replace all the switches.

be a lot easier to buy a plane already done :)

be a lot easier to buy a plane already done
If I could sell mine for even half of what I paid I would. But I can't so moving forward is the best option I think. Unless I hit a windfall. But this picture should tell you the luck I have I was on the side of the road and got hit.0d547514ccb0981ad1011f00b9aad619.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

I just did exactly that to the right side of my C model, had to take a bunch of stuff apart for a repair on the the number two VOR, and I thought there was no way I was going to put it back together the way it was; had to get rid of the broken plastic. It wasn't terrible but it did take a little more time then I thought it would. When it was over, I wished I'd done the entire thing, but the right side was all I had time for. You can do it! Sorry for the bad pictures.

Iphone pics 2017 10190.JPG

Iphone pics 2017 10520.JPG

Iphone pics 2017 10532.JPG

Iphone pics 2017 10595.JPG

Edited by Heloman

31 minutes ago, Heloman said:

I just did exactly that to the right side of my C model, had to take a bunch of stuff apart for a repair on the the number two VOR, and I thought there was no way I was going to put it back together the way it was; had to get rid of the broken plastic. It wasn't terrible but it did take a little more time then I thought it would. When it was over, I wished I'd done the entire thing, but the right side was all I had time for. You can do it! Sorry for the bad pictures.

Iphone pics 2017 10190.JPG

Iphone pics 2017 10520.JPG

Iphone pics 2017 10532.JPG

Iphone pics 2017 10595.JPG

That looks good.  nothing wrong with that!  

• Like 1