Did anyone record the CO poisoning story ar the Summit?

Wish I had thought to. Dan's story is amazing! He's officially the best pilot I know--he made a spot landing after dark, while pretty sound asleep! He said one second earlier, he'd have hit the deep ditch beside the road; one second later, he'd have gone into the treeline . . . . . But the busted out windshield brought fresh air into the cabin, and he came around 30 minutes later.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fly By said:

Dan recommend a CO detector, but going to Sensorcon's website I see 3 different flavors of the same unit (Standard, Industrial and Industrial Pro).  Recommendations?

I bought the standard; the ither two vibrate when they alarm. Not sure what else is different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fly By said:

Dan recommend a CO detector, but going to Sensorcon's website I see 3 different flavors of the same unit (Standard, Industrial and Industrial Pro).  Recommendations?

I purchased the industrial, and that is what Sensorcon donated 5 of to the Mooney Summit raffle.

4 hours ago, Fighterpilot1232 said:

For the Mooney Summit day three, there was a story about the Mooney that landed with an unconscious CO poisoned Mooney pilot. Did anyone happen to record this? If so could you let me know?

I plan to ask Dan to do a TED talk.

• Like 2

I have a digital CO detector and I dutifully turn it on every flight in the winter and ignore it in the summer. But after Dan’s talk yesterday I turned it on just to experiment. On taxi, I was #4 for departure, all awaiting our IFR releases. Sure enough, my cockpit started getting that av-exhaust smell from the others in front of me in the conga line, and my CO monitor started ticking up...10, 20, 26, up to 28 PPM. I shifted to the right to get out of their immediate slipstream and that helped a touch, but it was a graphic example of how it can build up.

Once in flight, it went down to 0 PPM so I’m good for now, but Dan’s talk shows the need to remain vigilant.

• Like 1

My wife recorded part of my talk with her Iphone. The quality is fairly bad, especially the audio.  I'll review it closer and post it to YouTube if it seems worth it.  

I did work with the NTSB in a "Safety Brief" video.  It was released a few weeks ago.  It's the short short version.

• Like 4

Dan, Alice plans to call you in a week or 2, particularly to discuss the Bill Gilliland foundation with you and Deanna. Zeke I believe recorded it all, I will find out. If so, would you consider letting us post this on www.mooneysummit.com? I want to encourage you to do a TED talk, this is important for everyone, not just pilots. 

Well done, sir. Your presentation was masterful.

UPDATE: Zeke got a good bit of it, but not in its entirety. He is developing a vid that we hope to get everyone's permission to use.

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

I want to encourage you to do a TED talk, this is important for everyone, not just pilots. 

Well done, sir. Your presentation was masterful.

UPDATE: Zeke got a good bit of it, but not in its entirety. He is developing a vid that we hope to get everyone's permission to use.

Good news, Mike, and an excellent idea! I also thought Dan did a great job. Getting the word spread as far as possible will be worth the effort. 

• Like 1

Dan's talk was amazing. I told my wife as much as I could and she too wants us to buy a CO detector. Would like to show her Dan's story via video! The Summitt did not disappoint at all for my second time. See you all again next year!

David

• Like 1