My New Leopard Skin Mooney!

Jeff_S

Hey all,

Just got back from another fabulous Mooney Summit. Hats off to the leadership and all the speakers for making this a memorable and meaningful event. I can say that unlike most conferences you go to, there was not a “throw away” session in the bunch here. Every single talk and activity was of the highest caliber and provided useful information to make our flying more safe and enjoyable. And what fun to meet more Mooneyspace folks in person!

My only real concern/question is, what the heck is in the rain in PCB?! We got rain overnight Saturday into Sunday, and when I got home this afternoon I noticed some deep rain spots in my paint that are not just on the surface. Photo attached...if you look around the access panel you’ll see my new spotted spotted coat. And that was AFTER trying to get them out with a vigorous rub of Wash-Wax-All. I ended up testing a small section with some Flitz to see if a buffing compound would help and it did, but that’s going to be a lot of work. Did anyone else who was down there see anything similar? Is there an acid rain problem in the Panhandle? I’ve never seen anything like this before, especially so suddenly.

74A3EFD4-5452-4AC1-867B-ED74C985D9CF.jpeg

Oh boy, something to go check this afternoon. At least it won't be as noticeable on my almost-white wings and fuse . . . 

As hard as those bands of rain came down Saturday afternoon, I was happy to see no water when I sumped the tanks for departure Sunday.

Edited by Hank

There's a C-150 on my home field that has the same thing, odd thing is the sides of the fuselage has dots but don't seem like they sag as you would think, also nothing on the doors (under the wings). Plane was purchased like that and came from the east coast some where 

So, I know at least one other plane that was with us in PCB and now has these spots...interestingly, also only in the red sections. I suspect they are also in the white areas but just impossible to see.

At any rate, I had the onsite professional plane care group (Bird Bath) come take a look today, and he tried three different strengths of Meguire polish, some of the 3M stuff and a few others. The only thing that works is the Flitz I had already tested with, so his recommendation was to just use that and scrub hard. I am taking a bit of paint off but we’re getting below the spots effectively. Even he was pretty amazed about what could have happened.

Anybody else notice anything?

Forgot to mention, the C-150 is only effected on the Red paint as well. The spots are between the size of a quarter and fifty cent piece. Did you happen to see or here an Ag plane (crop duster) flying around? they also use Ag planes for mosquitos. 

On 10/1/2017 at 10:13 PM, Jeff_S said:

Hey all,

Just got back from another fabulous Mooney Summit. Hats off to the leadership and all the speakers for making this a memorable and meaningful event. I can say that unlike most conferences you go to, there was not a “throw away” session in the bunch here. Every single talk and activity was of the highest caliber and provided useful information to make our flying more safe and enjoyable. And what fun to meet more Mooneyspace folks in person!

My only real concern/question is, what the heck is in the rain in PCB?! We got rain overnight Saturday into Sunday, and when I got home this afternoon I noticed some deep rain spots in my paint that are not just on the surface. Photo attached...if you look around the access panel you’ll see my new spotted spotted coat. And that was AFTER trying to get them out with a vigorous rub of Wash-Wax-All. I ended up testing a small section with some Flitz to see if a buffing compound would help and it did, but that’s going to be a lot of work. Did anyone else who was down there see anything similar? Is there an acid rain problem in the Panhandle? I’ve never seen anything like this before, especially so suddenly.

74A3EFD4-5452-4AC1-867B-ED74C985D9CF.jpeg

Jeffb

Jeff I feel your pain I worked all day yesterday on trying to get the deep stains out, I'm having success with various buffering tools and compounds, really ticked I have to remove some paint to clean that crap up.

let me know how you make out

Dan

Clearly something is at fault, but I'm not the litigation type. A few hours of elbow grease and some polish does seem to take care of things, so it's bothersome but not ultimately the end of the world. But it WOULD be good to quiz Sheltair and see if they have any thoughts, ideas, or know of something that may have been sprayed in the area that would cause this, to prevent it in the future.  Mike, who would be the best person to contact there?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Clearly something is at fault, but I'm not the litigation type. A few hours of elbow grease and some polish does seem to take care of things, so it's bothersome but not ultimately the end of the world. But it WOULD be good to quiz Sheltair and see if they have any thoughts, ideas, or know of something that may have been sprayed in the area that would cause this, to prevent it in the future.  Mike, who would be the best person to contact there?

Jeff -- the spotting you are seeing are exactly what another Mooney owner and I saw on our Mooneys after the MSC "washed" our planes after our annuals. We are pretty certain it is due to minerals in the water. In my case, the markings etched into the paint (I didn't have a good coat of wax on) and I had to buff it out. The other Mooney was heavily waxed and he was able to get it out with Meguiar's.

Dr. Ron already checked with Mike at Sheltair, he has received no comments or complaints yet, just our 2 are the only known so far.
Some folks hangar their plane every day when overnight ing just to prevent such things. I can't see where Sheltair has any culpability, nor can I diss the chamber of Commerce, as the wx, in large, was awesome.
We're you exposed to one of the keroburners jet blast by chance?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Someone mentioned crop-dusters, there was one flying around, but he was doing pattern work not spraying.  I did not notice this on my plane but it is blue and white, no red.  I also flew early Sunday morning in the formation before the rain had dried on the plane.  I will have to take a closer look when I get back home.  I had to evacuate our military planes out of NW Florida ahead of TS Nate.