Seat Track Cotter Pins

The hangar elves put these on my E:

d9315999-43d3-4e94-8ef4-ec34bd77ec9e_100

My IA groused a bit at annual about "damn hangar elves", but put them back on. There's a Lowes close to the airport so I am guessing they got them there.

• Like 1

I'm a little skeptical of the "clevis secured with a cotter pin". Is that better than simply using a cotter pin? Is it that you can use a smaller/easier to bend cotter pin with the clevis? Nothing wrong with it, of course. Just a little more complex. (Maybe skeptical is too strong a word. Just a question.)

Just now, DonMuncy said:

I'm a little skeptical of the "clevis secured with a cotter pin". Is that better than simply using a cotter pin? Is it that you can use a smaller/easier to bend cotter pin with the clevis? Nothing wrong with it, of course. Just a little more complex. (Maybe skeptical is too strong a word. Just a question.)

The cotter pins are fine, these were just so huge it was really difficult to get them out.  They are like 2 1/2 inches long.  I may check the Lowes for something a smidge smaller or see what I have lying around in the RV-8 parts bin.

Just now, markejackson02 said:

The cotter pins are fine, these were just so huge it was really difficult to get them out.  They are like 2 1/2 inches long.  I may check the Lowes for something a smidge smaller or see what I have lying around in the RV-8 parts bin.

Mine are not that large. Probably about 1 1/2  inch. But still a nuisance to straighten out with pliers to remove them.

43 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

Hi Mark, please stop. The seat stop Kits from spruce work great. They are sourced by McFarline. They are made of better steel than what's available at Lowes. 

The older IPCs didn't have any drawings of the seat stops. I'm not sure what was installed on the 201, but I do know Lowes was not a vendor of Mooney back then. The cotter pin thru the track is not ideal as it is easily bent and not designed to stop the seat. The clevis is solid. 

If anyone has current drawing of the older seat stops it would be great to see how it is supposed to be done. 

-Matt

The IPC for my J has AN380-53 cotter keys for seat stops through S/N 24-3117 and screws, nuts and bushings from then on.

I know I had steel cotter keys in mine and had a hard time finding anything other than soft metal cotter keys when I had to pull the seats to repair them. I ended up going back with the screws/nuts/bushing combo so I was comfortable the stops would actually work in the event I really needed them.

55 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

The IPC for my J has AN380-53 cotter keys for seat stops through S/N 24-3117 and screws, nuts and bushings from then on.

I know I had steel cotter keys in mine and had a hard time finding anything other than soft metal cotter keys when I had to pull the seats to repair them. I ended up going back with the screws/nuts/bushing combo so I was comfortable the stops would actually work in the event I really needed them.

Thanks for the info!! Not much of anything was in the older manuals, prior to J regarding the stops! 

-Matt

3 hours ago, MB65E said:

Thanks for the info!! Not much of anything was in the older manuals, prior to J regarding the stops! 

-Matt

My parts manual looks like it calls out an "8292-11 clip" on each of the outer rails at the back. This is on the diagram for the rails. There is no mention of a clip or anything on the diagram for the seats themselves. I think if it was supposed to be a cotter pin it would have said so. 

Here's my guess (and anybody please correct me with more accurate info). There were two special purpose clips used to keep the seats from running all the way back on the rails. These little clips would get lost at annual and be difficult to replace; i.e., Mooney unique part. A&Ps would just stick a cotter pin in. One day, decades later, all the little clips had disappeared and A&P lore came to be that a cotter pin was what went back there.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My M20J parts book agrees with a previous poster.  For my serial number it calls out the AN380-5-3 cotter pin.  Which I had to look up the 'MS' translation and order from Sky Geeks.  It turned out it was the MS24665-418.  It's only about 3/4" long and thick as heck (5/32") -- it's a b**ch to bend, which I guess is good.  Any pointers on how these are installed and trimmed to prevent pax from getting snagged on them?