3 Key Factors: Runway Emergencies

Buster1

Buster,

Thanks for sharing.  Your article did remind me of a scenario that has bothered me and you brushed on it.  I have had two nose wheel flats upon landing in my Mooney.  It is near impossible to taxi, and in one case I was not able to clear the runway at KSAV.  That airport has a tower and moved traffic to the other runway.  Fast forward to my current airport, KOXC.  The tower closes at 9pm, it's a dark airport, limited or no after hour services.....and lots of jet and turboprop traffic in the evening.....and one runway.   My what-if:  what if I have a flat after hours and am not able to clear the runway?  I think I would stay with the plane with the  radio tuned to CTAF, and start dialing phone numbers.....FBO, airport manager, etc.  Any thoughts on how to handle this any different.  The hazard is an aircraft landing and not seeing the aircraft on the runway until too late.  

Nice article. But I would add the following:

Check on the POH the take off and landing distances for specific weights.

On take off Instead of IAS I go by nose off the ground for rotation. Keep in mind that rotation speeds vary with weight.

For go no go decision I just look at the runway range markers or runway end.

To insure I have the power for take off I look at the RPM just before brake release. 

Headwind will slow the acceleration so the plane will rotate earlier on the runway.

José