M20K inverter powers what

Retz

What is the inverter in my M20k (252) giving power to?  

I'm in the middle of the rats nest phase of an avionics upgrade, and I'm trying to determine if it is still neededand cleaning up under the panel (read: the wire from the breaker is cut and I have no idea what is was plugged to).  

Thanks for for the help. 

Joe

The 400Hz inverter provides power to the synchro in the gyro or remote compass for determining gyro/compass angular position. Synchros are very popular on large aircraft for determining angular position on gyros and control surfaces. Unlike household 60Hz AC large aircraft main AC bus is 400Hz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchro

José

Edited by Piloto

24 minutes ago, Piloto said:

The 400Hz inverter provides power to the synchro in the gyro or remote compass for determining gyro/compass angular position. Synchros are very popular on large aircraft for determining angular position on gyros and control surfaces. Unlike household 60Hz AC large aircraft main AC bus is 400Hz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchro

José

Thanks Jose, good answer.  The wire was not cut but looks like it got pulled out when I was pulling out the power panel to get to the breakers.  

Does anyone have a picture of the inverter or where it is located, so I can wire it back up?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an inverter in my 231 as I recall.  I installed a 430AW several years ago.  After we ordered the unit and it was being installed, the installer discovered the AW is 28 volt only (it has a more powerful transmitter than the 430W).  We had to install an inverter to change the power from 12(14)V to 28.  That's what I remember.  You might look to see where the wire goes and what it is powering.