Thoughts?

Anyone ever spend more on avionics than what a plane is worth?

I know dumb question.......many have.....

This would allow me to remove the vacuum system and the stby vac system and set the plane up for about 10 -15 years of solid use....however it is 53 years old......

I would love to have the entire right side for the iPad ......

Also still a SPOF...if I were to lose the GTN for whatever reason I also lose the WAAS input to the transponder and then no ADS....so I would also have to consider a WAAS GTX and a GTN..

This would all tie in nice with my Stec 30 with GPSS

so many things to think about......

This all started with a desire for an engine monitor and a comm 2 that has a weak display that is out for service.....LOL

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 2.24.18 PM.png

Edited by Jim Peace
  • Like 1

Looks like a nice project! One question, with two G5 are you allowed to dump the vacuum system ? 

I believe that the ASPEN would provide you with more functionality, but I will refer from stating it to loud and start a discussion about ASPEN vs Garmin. 

I have an EDM 900 and it is really nice, as well as the IPAD idea. You could then have everything connected via Bluetooth with 510.

Enjoy your project... 

Doesn't matter how old your plane is...if it has been maintained and not corroding away, then by all means update it to your needs/wishes and enjoy it! I like your plan and am considering a similar path for my J. Already have the EDM-900 and want dual G5's and eventually the GFC500 to replace my STEC30.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Or just get this and be done with it:  https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/20897467/1983-mooney-m20k-231

Still, I could upgrade my plane for a lot less then this acquisition .....Speed would be nice but other than an annual ferry across the country I only do 100 dollar hamburgers....

Or just get this and be done with it:  https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/20897467/1983-mooney-m20k-231

Still, I could upgrade my plane for a lot less then this acquisition .....Speed would be nice but other than an annual ferry across the country I only do 100 dollar hamburgers....

Nice plane...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jim,

Great minds think alike, even if they don't always make sound financial decisions ;) - my panel install below from 2 years ago has been great for me after shaking the bugs out. You will love the results of your similar design. 

Oddly the G5 can be primary but not backup for an Aspen for IFR - the absurdity of this limitation has been hashed out in other threads, but Garmin has stated having no intention of ever certifying it as a backup to existing glass AIs, despite its 4 hr battery.  It compounds the absurdity if backing up another G5 is the exception - is this accurate?

A member here stated that he got a G5 installed as a backup to an Aspen using a field approval.  I asked the  local shop doing my annual shortly about doing similar, and they stated that they were installing it as a backup by simply making a log book entry stating a "minor deviation from the STC."  The latter sounds a little sketch to me, but I would still like to hear more on this topic.  

59d02737b7aae_beforeandafter.thumb.jpg.bdbd27e4e95d7637762f9851db3ded42.jpg

On 9/29/2017 at 5:32 PM, Jim Peace said:

Anyone ever spend more on avionics than what a plane is worth?

I know dumb question.......many have.....

This would allow me to remove the vacuum system and the stby vac system and set the plane up for about 10 -15 years of solid use....however it is 53 years old......

I would love to have the entire right side for the iPad ......

Also still a SPOF...if I were to lose the GTN for whatever reason I also lose the WAAS input to the transponder and then no ADS....so I would also have to consider a WAAS GTX and a GTN..

This would all tie in nice with my Stec 30 with GPSS

so many things to think about......

This all started with a desire for an engine monitor and a comm 2 that has a weak display that is out for service.....LOL

My suggestion...

You can buy the 625/445 kit for just over 8amu.  Have the shop wire the rack for a future 650 and fly off the second com until you do. If you already have gpss go with a single G5 in the AI position if not a single G5 hsi to gain gpss. 

14 hours ago, DXB said:

Jim,

Great minds think alike, even if they don't always make sound financial decisions ;) - my panel install below from 2 years ago has been great for me after shaking the bugs out. You will love the results of your similar design. 

Who did your install?  

48 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Who did your install?  

Dev (DXB) and I both used Smart Avionics at N71. The shop is owned by Ben Travis. 

Ben will quote a competitive price but what makes his shop stand out is that he goes beyond the quote to do things right. When he did my ADS-B, I was quoted to have the left hand panel remade to recess the Aspens. I showed up at the shop one day to check out the progress and saw they made a new center and right side panel. My first thought was that they did unauthorized work. When I talked to Ben about it, he said he had the machine running making my new left hand panel and he decided to cut new panels for the middle and right to make it look perfect. No additional charge. 

As Dev mentioned, he did need to go back to “work the bugs out”. I had the same experience. All of it was minor. One was where they had rewired my Flight Director because they thought it was wired wrong. It wasn’t. I had it wired to show the cue bars without engaging the servos. 

I was back at his shop last week. While I had my interior out, I decided to replace all of the RG-58 with new RG-400. I ran the wires and had Ben’s shop do the connectors and tie up the bundles. He told me he is booked out until April!! 

Ill let you judge the quality of his work. 

54BA37B1-2C37-4070-8465-B5A458E86BB7.thumb.jpeg.cfea660835fa7939bd547d91ffa4b8bc.jpeg

1AE86401-92A4-43D6-AA9F-916932D9C5A5.thumb.jpeg.1c3ef4c6015364c75c19ea2b8d301d76.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Dev (DXB) and I both used Smart Avionics at N71. The shop is owned by Ben Travis. 

Ill let you judge the quality of his work. 

looks great....So that transponder plays well with the GTN?  Does the transponder have its own WAAS incase you loose it from the GTN?  Thinking how I can remove SPOFs but then with one engine the whole plane is a SPOF

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

looks great....So that transponder plays well with the GTN?  Does the transponder have its own WAAS incase you loose it from the GTN?  Thinking how I can remove SPOFs but then with one engine the whole plane is a SPOF

The Lynx will display traffic on the GTN but not weather. It will obviously display weather and traffic on its own display as well as the Aspens I have. 

It also has a WiFI signal and will display traffic and weather on a number of different apps but not Garmin Pilot  

It has its own WAAS GPS and does not need the signal from the GTN. My Lynx has both the TAS and ATAS (voice call outs of traffic) activated. So, it will show all transponder equipped traffic regardless if it is being picked up and re-broadcast by ADS-B. 

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

The Lynx will display traffic on the GTN but not weather. It will obviously display weather and traffic on its own display as well as the Aspens I have. 

It also has a WiFI signal and will display traffic and weather on a number of different apps but not Garmin Pilot  

It has its own WAAS GPS and does not need the signal from the GTN. My Lynx has both the TAS and ATAS (voice call outs of traffic) activated. So, it will show all transponder equipped traffic regardless if it is being picked up and re-broadcast by ADS-B. 

It's a great piece of equipment, I bought it primarily for the active traffic and got a new ADSB transponder thrown in as part of the deal.  I have it displaying on my 430W, CNX80, Aspen, its own displays and a tablet.

Clarence