Appareo Stratus ES 1090ES Transponder Now Certified

New product alert: Appareo 1090ES Transponder. This $2,495 newly certified transponder competes with the Trig TT31, BendixKing KT-74, Avidyne AXP 340, and Garmin GTX 335. 

Product announcement press release (7/74/17):
"Appareo today announced another addition to its Stratus family of cost-effective, easily-installed certified avionics for general aviation. Just like Stratus ESG, the company’s flagship transponder, the new Stratus ES is a certified 1090 Extended Squitter (ES) ADS-B Out transponder designed with the common 1.65” form factor to easily replace existing transponders.

While Stratus ESG includes built-in WAAS GPS for all-in-one-box 2020 compliance, Stratus ES was designed without GPS in order to provide affordable ADS-B Out to aircraft that are already equipped with WAAS GPS. Stratus ES will make an aircraft rule-compliant when paired with any of the following navigators: Garmin 430W, 530W, 650, 750, or Avidyne IFD440 or IFD540.

“With Stratus ESG, we were focused on developing a simple solution to minimize installation costs for non-glass panel aircraft that didn’t have WAAS GPS,” said Derek Aslakson, aviation product manager at Appareo. “With Stratus ES, we are responding to demand from aircraft owners who have already equipped with WAAS GPS navigators and are looking for an affordable way to meet the 2020 mandate while utilizing their previous investments,” Aslakson said. “Stratus ES meets that demand with one of the most attractive price tags on the market.”

View more: http://bit.ly/2yd3Wai

30 minutes ago, HRM said:

This is old news. So what is your price for the ESGi with the special Mooniac discount?

I quoted the product announcement press release so MooneySpace customers could see what the features are.The real news is that it was certified (just yesterday) and is now a product available to buy. 

PM coming on the ESGi. 

Edited by Avionics Source

Just now, Avionics Source said:

The real news is that it was certified (just yesterday) and is now a product available to buy. 

My bad, I thought it was released certified last year, thanks for the update.

My AT-50A refuses to die. Of course, it will probably give up the ghost when I am deep in the Houston Bravo. I appreciate the PM.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked these out at the AOPA fly-in at GON last weekend.  While the ES is ADS-B OUT only (no WAAS GPS, so you need a WAAS enabled navigator), the ESi does come with ADS-B IN in the form of a Stratus that is plug-in only - no battery.  What's nice about that is that you can mount the Stratus behind the panel or anywhere else where it is hidden.  This version of the Stratus is tethered to the ESi transponder, so it powers up and down with that unit.  If you don't have a panel mount navigator to display ADS-B and you use an iPad with Foreflight, and you were planning to purchase an ADS-B OUT only transponder, this seems to be a nice solution for around $3K list price.

My Stratus ESI (out and in to the iPad) should be finished this afternoon.  The work is being done by Tailwind Avionics here in Beaufort.  I will post details after validation flight and getting the bill.  Hardware was under $3K.  Labor should be a normal install.  They used the existing antenna, cable and encoder, mounted the transponder and Stratus and ran a cable for WAAS to the G430.

Eddie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:   Discovered the software version in my 430W (430W was 2012 manufacture) needed an update.  Install was delayed 1 week, then we left or 2 weeks of scheduled vacation at National Parks in Utah.  Just returned and hope to do validation flight tomorrow.

Costs:

ESi Kit $2695.31, 18 hours labor= $1,530, NC sales tax on parts and labor $182.75, BNC 12.13, shipping $20.00.  Total $4,440.19

Problems:

430W needed update.  Labor seemed a little high but Install instructions were incorrect about the 430 software version

Comments:

Stratus receiver is mounted on pilot side of nose wheel cover where indicator lights are visible.  Stratus TXP was mounted at bottom of radio stack in same location as the AT150 it replaced.  Ground check good.  

Eddie