TruTrak Autopilot STC

whiskytango

I just got an update email from TruTrak giving the status of the STC process for various aircraft.  It seems they have completed or almost completed the paperwork for the Cessna singles and the PA-28, and are at a point where they will decide where to go next.  The email specifically mentions Mooney (!!) and Bonanza, and the decision will be based on the level of interest.  If you haven't done so already, please go to their website https://trutrakflightsystems.com and click on the STC survey box at the top of the page to let them know if you are interested in an STC for Mooney aircraft.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 8:04 PM, jetdriven said:

These guys need to get extra manpower and make it happen. Beucause as soon as the garmin GFC-500 becomes available this will be a much harder sell. 

It still looks like the cost of the Trutrak is going to be ~$3,000 cheaper than the Garmin though. 

26 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

The Trutrak certified version is $5000, the Garmin 2 servo version is $6100, where did you get $3000?

I’m not sure if the 5100 includes the G5?  I wonder if they are going to sell the 500 over the counter and the 600 via Garmin dealers only?

14 hours ago, teejayevans said:

The Trutrak certified version is $5000, the Garmin 2 servo version is $6100, where did you get $3000?

I spoke with Garmin at KOSH and attended their autopilot seminar. The $6,100 price is for the 172 series. They indicated they will increase the price for each model they certify, and for the M20 they estimated $8,000, and no, that does not include a G5...

• Like 1

I spoke with Garmin at KOSH and attended their autopilot seminar. The $6,100 price is for the 172 series. They indicated they will increase the price for each model they certify, and for the M20 they estimated $8,000, and no, that does not include a G5...

Wow, I'll have to wait to see how this shakes out, but after DFC90 I have my doubts.

7 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Wow, I'll have to wait to see how this shakes out, but after DFC90 I have my doubts.

That's why I have my eye on the trutrak, I specifically asked them if prices would change for different models and they said it would stay at $5k, plus a measly $100 to purchase the STC. 

Sarasota Avionics is advertising prices for the C172:

Just the GFC500 - $6089

GFC500 + the required G5 ADI - $8149

GFC500 + G5 ADI + G5 HSI and Nav interface - $8889

Plus install of course.  Plus for me, $2000 to fly the plane to Florida.

The biggest advantage I see for the GFC500 vs the TruTrak or Trio is the flight director and the ability to fly an ILS which the other two may or may not be able to do.  However, most (but not all) airports that have an ILS also have an LPV to the same runway.  Another small advantage is the ability to easily switch between constant rate vs airspeed in the climb/descent.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Sarasota Avionics is advertising prices for the C172:

Just the GFC500 - $6089

GFC500 + the required G5 ADI - $8149

GFC500 + G5 ADI + G5 HSI and Nav interface - $8889

Plus install of course.  Plus for me, $2000 to fly the plane to Florida.

The biggest advantage I see for the GFC500 vs the TruTrak or Trio is the flight director and the ability to fly an ILS which the other two may or may not be able to do.  However, most (but not all) airports that have an ILS also have an LPV to the same runway.  Another small advantage is the ability to easily switch between constant rate vs airspeed in the climb/descent.

Huh - prices are better than I guessed for the gfc500. ESP after today's Garmins failure to release g3x but 100k of stuff instead.

i see the main advantage of gfc500 is the ESP and the straight and level button safety features.

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

I think both the TruTrak and the Trio offer something similar.

As far as I understand - they both have "envelope protection" where you are prevented from commanding the airplane into a lost of control outside of the envelope configuration while the autopilot is engaged, but not the feature called ESP where it is even passively monitoring you while you are hand flying with the autopilot not engaged.  I am not 100% sure but that is what I gather from carefully reading the materials.  This ESP seems like a fantastically excellent feature.

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

As far as I understand - they both have "envelope protection" where you are prevented from commanding the airplane into a lost of control outside of the envelope configuration while the autopilot is engaged, but not the feature called ESP where it is even passively monitoring you while you are hand flying with the autopilot not engaged.  I am not 100% sure but that is what I gather from carefully reading the materials.  This ESP seems like a fantastically excellent feature.

Sounds like lane control on a car to me and I hate that feature.

5 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

Sounds like lane control on a car to me and I hate that feature.

I want it - like a CFI sitting in the seat next to you - but automatic - if you try to get too slow, or too steep, and exceed AOA on that base to final turn....hello ESP