Mooney Summit Weather

air cooled dad

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

It doesn't look like many of them are tied down.

Clarence

I dont think any of our planes were tied down. Even the Saturday thunderstorms didn't bother any of them. We all parked and unloaded out front, then the planes were towed away and professionally parked nice and tight. "Lesser aircraft" out front were tied down, there were even cables cemented into the apron to tie them to.

Edited by Hank

8 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I had to leave my plane and drive the 3 hours home. I've got the next week off so I'm calling my CFI tomorrow and getting back into IFR training. It sucks not being able to leave.

It took some of these, a turnaround or two and some missed trips to motivate me enough to seriously pursue the Rating. Find a good instructor and don't sweat the hours, fly enough that it becomes muscle memory just like flying VFR is for you now.

In the end, it is worth the time, money and effort expended. Your plane will become more usable. But there are still times to stay on the ground . . .

7 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Was that the only time in the whole weekend that @Alan Fox was quiet @201er? :)  

There was one other time. I got him a separate room the second night and it was golden silence. Third night, guess who passes up the penthouse suite and is back on my couch stinking up the air!?

IMG_3237.thumb.JPG.639e6f44a104a3b2200f9f508f9111c8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I had to leave my plane and drive the 3 hours home. I've got the next week off so I'm calling my CFI tomorrow and getting back into IFR training. It sucks not being able to leave.

The Mooney is such a good IFR platform, it's a shame not to be able to take advantage of those capabilities.

We got the to airport Sunday about noon and quickly filed IFR for 14,000 ft via ForeFlight. 15 minutes later we were rolling. It was IMC from 2000 to about 5000 ft and then CAVU and smooth above. Somewhere over Louisiana, ATC asked if we could accept 17,000 to go direct or stay at 14,000 and go around Houston. We opted for the climb. A few minutes later it was amended to FL180, and then ATC came back a third time and said it would have to be FL200. With my O2 flowing well, JD took off the mask to see what hypoxia is like. It was eye opening how quickly basic capabilities degrade to almost nothing, and then how quickly it all comes back when given O2.

As soon as we cleared the Houston Bravo, we descended out of the flight levels, canceled IFR and were on the ground in Smithville 3 hours 15 minutes after departing Panama City. 

A Mooney and an Instrument rating is an awesome combination.

• Like 5

I received the dreaded SFRA re-route near Charlotte.    I had planned a route round the west of DC (the same one I flew south on) MOL V143 LRP ETX.   After some vectoring near CLT I was given direct destination (which would have gone through the SFRA but not the FRZ)...  Soon after the computer threw in the standard east of DC route, PXT, ENO, DQO, MXE (the infamous Modena) SBJ.    I just rejected the route, canceled IFR and few VFR just west of the SFRA via Frederick MD. 

Normally I would have filed to an airport in Allentown's airspace so that the computer doesn't put in a NYC route, but there was a TFR and I needed the flight plan to terminate at 1N7. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

They really should tie them down.  About 15 years ago right here in Panama City at our old and now-closed airport, KPFN, one of those lines of thunderstorms flipped a Cherokee 140 that was tied down, but poorly, by a competing FBO to Sheltair that no longer exists, right over the top of my previous Cherokee 180.  By the time those bands of weather are upon you it is too late. Every pilot (and line man) should know how to tie a proper taut line hitch. 

Jim,

Mike Lerma told me they dont tie them down because the cable system they use would pose a trip hazard to everyone with so many Mooneys and that they can trash gear doors. He indicated they monitor wx and would tie everyone if a line of TS were to approach that warranted it. He also said they dont use hard point tie down system because of the large variety of aircraft they have to account for. 

I am glad no one tripped over these cables, as they do raise up about 6" and are very difficult to see after a few day's of ' Summitin...

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The Mooney is such a good IFR platform, it's a shame not to be able to take advantage of those capabilities.

We got the to airport Sunday about noon and quickly filed IFR for 14,000 ft via ForeFlight. 15 minutes later we were rolling. It was IMC from 2000 to about 5000 ft and then CAVU and smooth above. Somewhere over Louisiana, ATC asked if we could accept 17,000 to go direct or stay at 14,000 and go around Houston. We opted for the climb. A few minutes later it was amended to FL180, and then ATC came back a third time and said it would have to be FL200. With my O2 flowing well, JD took off the mask to see what hypoxia is like. It was eye opening how quickly basic capabilities degrade to almost nothing, and then how quickly it all comes back when given O2.

As soon as we cleared the Houston Bravo, we descended out of the flight levels, canceled IFR and were on the ground in Smithville 3 hours 15 minutes after departing Panama City. 

That's pretty rare to get bumped out of the "teens" into the flight levels..usually we turbo piston guys have that to themselves and leave the 20 s to the kerosene burners...must be all the reconstruction traffic..

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

That's pretty rare to get bumped out of the "teens" into the flight levels..usually we turbo piston guys have that to themselves and leave the 20 s to the kerosene burners...must be all the reconstruction traffic..

Yeah, it is pretty unusual. I think it was a very busy Bravo and they just wanted me out of the picture.

JD can tell you all about hypoxia at FL200. He took the mask off for a few minutes just to see what would happen. It was amazing how quickly he lost all usefulness and how quickly the O2 can bring you back.

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

We got the to airport Sunday about noon and quickly filed IFR for 14,000 ft via ForeFlight. 15 minutes later we were rolling. It was IMC from 2000 to about 5000 ft and then CAVU and smooth above. ....

That must have been nice. When I left about 3:30, it was soup from about 1,200' up. Came back at 8,000' and never saw anything until about 20 minutes from the house.

But days like Sunday are exactly why my IR was so important for me to get. A ticket to ride.

• Like 4

Florida to Jersey in under five hours...

Flight following the whole way...

I had a huge smile after Summit Sunday...

The smile got even bigger on post Summit Monday... :)

Flight following has all the communication skills required for The IR... if you have difficulty talking on the radio and flying at the same time, this is a great way to get practice...

I heard somebody receiving the Modena fix... I was laughing through the whole descent thinking about the MS community...

ATC was working really well today... I was invited into the Philly Bravo, then given the green light to descend at pilot's discretion...

Nothing cooler than flying a Mooney,

-a-

• Like 3

On 10/2/2017 at 9:13 PM, mike_elliott said:

Tyndall and KECP were ready for us this year, thankfully. They handled the IFR releases and handoffs with pinpoint precision. Note to self, make sure you call them again a couple months in advance to let them know "WERE COMING!!!"

Well, guess I was the exception to the rule :(

Shortly after takeoff I was given a vector to fly East (rather than 031 my DTK) so a King Air behind me could get away quicker and he promptly forgot about me. When I called to ask when I could get back on course he claimed he'd cleared me back on course 10 miles ago. Never heard it and never acknowledged it so that didn't make any sense!

Anyway, great Summit @mike_elliott ! Look forward to next year.

Robert

4 minutes ago, Robert C. said:

Well, guess I was the exception to the rule :(

Shortly after takeoff I was given a vector to fly East (rather than 031 my DTK) so a King Air behind me could get away quicker and he promptly forgot about me. When I called to ask when I could get back on course he claimed he'd cleared me back on course 10 miles ago. Never heard it and never acknowledged it so that didn't make any sense!

Anyway, great Summit @mike_elliott ! Look forward to next year.

Robert

Heck Dr., that was probably Max Gurgew in the King air...They will make everyone get out of his way, he is so well liked by everyone, controllers alike. You could have outrun him in your plane :). Just about everyone was given a 090 after take off that I heard, then Tyndall was left to sort it out. Good call to remind them your still monitoring their proficiency and ask for back on course. They are young....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulM said:

I received the dreaded SFRA re-route near Charlotte.    I had planned a route round the west of DC (the same one I flew south on) MOL V143 LRP ETX.   After some vectoring near CLT I was given direct destination (which would have gone through the SFRA but not the FRZ)...  Soon after the computer threw in the standard east of DC route, PXT, ENO, DQO, MXE (the infamous Modena) SBJ.    I just rejected the route, canceled IFR and few VFR just west of the SFRA via Frederick MD. 

Normally I would have filed to an airport in Allentown's airspace so that the computer doesn't put in a NYC route, but there was a TFR and I needed the flight plan to terminate at 1N7. 

I flew home today (from KHKY-Hickory NC) and was given the same (original) route as you followed by a quite direct SAX-BREZY leg to get home to KDXR.

Then after LURAY I got a call for revised route: present position direct LAAYK-IGN-KDXR. Yeah right, dog leg 50-odd miles North before heading south again to get to KDXR. So I cancelled IFR (which i needed to get out of KHKY) and went direct :)

Par for the course in that part of the world it seems.

1 hour ago, Robert C. said:

I flew home today (from KHKY-Hickory NC) and was given the same (original) route as you followed by a quite direct SAX-BREZY leg to get home to KDXR.

Then after LURAY I got a call for revised route: present position direct LAAYK-IGN-KDXR. Yeah right, dog leg 50-odd miles North before heading south again to get to KDXR. So I cancelled IFR (which i needed to get out of KHKY) and went direct :)

Par for the course in that part of the world it seems.

For whatever reason, Potomac Control likes VORs and doesn't much care for Direct routing in my own limited experience. VFR is the way to go there . . . . 

You young bucks, with your screen shots and 'direct to' flight plans... :)

I'm so motivated to try and keep up.

Stand by...

Best regards,

-a-

I used a straight line between KECP and my home field, then added a VOR close to that line every hundred miles... and intentionally avoided D.C.  In case I couldn't maintain flight following along the way....

KECP MCN CLT GSO SBV PXT DQO Home....  DQO and KILG are co located.  I used that one because a know a guy there!

my biggest nav challenge was reversing the flight plan I used on the way down. On the BK KLN90B it is about a ten step process.  Not like WingX, where you push two buttons... option, reverse...

There is absolutely nothing intuitive about 90s avionics...

IMG_0057.PNG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, carusoam said:

You young bucks, with your screen shots and 'direct to' flight plans... :)

I'm so motivated to try and keep up.

Stand by...

Best regards,

-a-

I used a straight line between KECP and my home field, then added a VOR close to that line every hundred miles... and intentionally avoided D.C.  In case I couldn't maintain flight following along the way....

KECP MCN CLT GSO SBV PXT DQO Home....  DQO and KILG are co located.  I used that one because a know a guy there!

my biggest nav challenge was reversing the flight plan I used on the way down. On the BK KLN90B it is about a ten step process.  Not like WingX, where you push two buttons... option, reverse...

IMG_0057.PNG

Watch it Anthony. You keep this up, and we're going to be expecting you to fly hard IFR down to the summit next year!