310 hp fuel flow

Godfather

How high of a FF would allow FT ascent using 2700rpm and maintaining CHTs?

MP declines with altitude... @ near 2k' per minute. 

Or is this asking for too much from the IO550? (It is pretty stout when fed properly)

With the 27.2 FF, things start to warm up in a few minutes after T/O.

I see Gamis and a prop balance as being pretty helpful for this...

Best regards,

-a-

I am at 30.7 at sea level T.O. As set by don maxwell.  My engine runs cool under all cases, lean it back a bit to blue box.  General consensus from several mechanics is the continentals like their fuel.  It is the 310 HP upgrade at 2700 RPM.

Edited by Mark89114
  • Like 1

When I got the STC installed on my Eagle in 2009 I asked the head mechanic in Midwest M20 (the then STC holder) for his recommendation for TO FF and his response was "Try bringing the FF up to about 27.5 GPH.  That is where I like to set them up."

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

They're kind of strange rather. Sometimes they just appear

Maybe I'll leave my hangar unlocked and just see what happens! ;)  I already got an email "out of the blue" with the exact location and dimensions suggested, and photos.

Where's a hole-saw when you need it?

Hypothetically speaking, how do you suspect the pixie is able to make the required material disappear in the baffle without harming the cylinder cooling fins directly behind it? That's what seem the most magical of all about this process!

2 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Hypothetically speaking, how do you suspect the pixie is able to make the required material disappear in the baffle without harming the cylinder cooling fins directly behind it? That's what seem the most magical of all about this process!

My pixies used wood door shims that gently separated the baffling from the cooling fins a 1/2" shallow bit and 2 holes next to each other. Shims easily removed after. 

see if the fairies can find one of these lying around.

Z1J9xzfo5oy.JPG

One of them will grind down the center point so it is barely longer than the side points and it will drill two holes side by side.

The other pixie will take a file and remove the baffle material between the two holes to make the two holes into one oblong .

Make sure you leave the shop vac in the hangar or you will have to clean up their mess.