I Used To Fly A Cessna C140...

pilot_jb

19 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Very nice.  I'm right next door at Y47.

By the way, we have breakfast at the 45G clubhouse every Saturday morning. We typically gather at 8:30, and the food is served at 9:00 sharp. I won’t be there this Saturday, because I’m traveling for work, but I am typically there every week without fail. 

All are welcome, so if anyone feels like getting some early morning cross country we’d be glad to see you. 

• Like 1

There are 140s  BUT ALL the rest are just Cherokees-

With a Comanche 400 I guess you preposition the fuel tankers along your route :-)

Might as well be a Twin Comanche with 8 cyls to top-(8 cheaper cylinders to boot IIRC)  :-)

Did 350 NM yesterday (KBIH-KPGA) through the top of the Class B Las Vegas at 9500' in 2+40 (9 hr drive) on 26 gallons.

Giving 15.5 SM per gallon. With 152 MPH (S) average. I can live with that for the low price of entry of @ $276/MPH. 

Most bang for the buck (price of entry) in a C

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

With a Comanche 400 I guess you preposition the fuel tankers along your route :-)

Might as well be a Twin Comanche with 8 cyls to top-(8 cheaper cylinders to boot IIRC)  :-)

Did 350 NM yesterday (KBIH-KPGA) through the top of the Class B Las Vegas at 9500' in 2+40 (9 hr drive) on 26 gallons.

Giving 15.5 SM per gallon. With 152 MPH (S) average. I can live with that for the low price of entry of @ $276/MPH. 

“Cessna 140”. ;)

41080A42-DC23-40EB-A3CE-E7E54E9DA06D.jpeg

4 hours ago, cliffy said:

Cliff,

No need to pre position tankers along the route, just leave with 130 gallons from the start.  You're correct about the cylinders, the parallel valve versions are cheaper, but now TCM is making alternative to Lycoming's product.

I did consider a twin Comanche, but the 400 out runs it in every way, climb, cruise and payload.

I picked up a new Ovation 3 owner yesterday and gave him a small taste of the performance, he was impressed with a more than 50"year old Piper.

Clarence

you basically  have a twin Comanche, just both engines have more power each, and share a crankshaft and common propeller. 

Brute force works every time. Mooneys are clean designs but they found our people like big motors and don't care about gas when they bolted the IO540 to the Mooney and created the TLS.  Now, Cirrus and Cessna both have gas hog airplanes that go fast and they sell plenty. 

Edited by jetdriven

I too logged plenty of 140 time before buying my C model.  In fact, I still have my 140.  She is a very nice '48 ragwwing with lots of mods and 150 parts including an O200 and als has a custom IR panel with six pack, center stack and dual VOR's with glide slope.  I love flying her on a pretty early morning.

image.jpg

image.jpg

On September 26, 2017 at 7:58 PM, pilot_jb said:

I’m working on meeting the insurance requirement at the moment; one more flight with my CFI, and then 5 solo and I’m good to go. I’m definitely thinking about Sun ‘N Fun ‘18 though. :)

How did you find the transition?  I did mine in February.  Thought it was going to be a problem, but I just fly my approach as if I were three pointing the Taildragger except I fly it at different speeds.  I even slip it sometimes just like I did in the 140.

2 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

How did you find the transition?  I did mine in February.  Thought it was going to be a problem, but I just fly my approach as if I were three pointing the Taildragger except I fly it at different speeds.  I even slip it sometimes just like I did in the 140.

I have a bunch of time in an RV-6A, and a bit in the Diamond 20 and 40, so the transition has been a piece of cake so far. 

Even a Boeing will slip if done properly  :-) They're just airplanes. 

My 140 was IFR certified with venturi powered gyros. Did many low OVC takeoffs with that set up. 

Did my commercial ride in it with a retired FAA FSDO Chief who only wanted to do spins for 45 mins and then signed me off!

Started out with a Superhomer with whistle stop tuning. Ended with a for real 360 channel comm and a Nancy Narco Nav 10 and one of, if not, the first xponders in a small airplane in the LAX basin. Single VOR, xponder, Marker lights and a 360 comm for IFR in the LAX basin. It just couldn't get any better than that!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Current rate for overhaul IO720 vs 2 ea IO320s  ??????   :-)

It's more for the 720 than the 320's, I hope to not need it for some time though.

Clarence