PS Engineering Trade-in & Trade-up with Avionics Source

On 4/11/2021 at 11:21 AM, BaldEagle said:

Just installed my shiny new PMA450B and was particularly excited to experience the Intelliaudio feature only to discover that it appears my airplane is wired for glorious mono sound.  Has anyone rewired their airplane for stereo?  How involved is it?

Well that was embarrassing.  Before you get your checkbook out and wheel your flying machine over to the avionics shop, check that the small DIP switch in your Lightspeed headset battery compartment is set to Stereo and not Mono (the factory default) to enjoy features like IntelliAudio.  Like the manual says so, in bold, that I was too lazy to consult.  The PMA450B is awesome, very highly recommended upgrade.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that was embarrassing.  Before you get your checkbook out and wheel your flying machine over to the avionics shop, check that the small DIP switch in your Lightspeed headset battery compartment i

This right here is why you buy PS. I've only heard good things from their support. I only have good things to say about them in my experience.

Thank you for your order. You're going to love the PMA450B! The last audio panel you'll ever need. 

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Just did this swap with my AP upgrade. Chase makes it super easy as per usual and the 450B is quite the upgrade from a GMA 340. Auto squelch is such a nice feature, no longer do I need to mess with millimeter changes for each new passenger. Dual BT is great, ForeFlight on one, Music on the other. The flexibility of being able to mute ATC for passengers or prevent music from muting for them is great. Intelliaudio is probably the most important thing here though, my ability to still hear approach but get the weather has increased ten fold.

Just make sure you swap all your headseats to stereo :D I did the same thing until I re read the manual.

• Like 2
On 12/22/2017 at 8:28 PM, LANCECASPER said:

I have the PMA7000BT and am completely satisfied. The airplane I bought had a King KMA-24 so i saved some money on installation since the 7000BT is pin compatible.

Edit: @Andy95WAfter hearing the PS 450B at Oshkosh I wish I would have spent the money on that. I still might have my avionics shop spend a day re-pinning and go for it and sell the 7000BT.

@LANCECASPER I was planning to do exactly what you said- try it out at OSH this year- before buying anything.  Great advice, thanks!

10 hours ago, hammdo said:

7000M bt version - direct replacement - really like it (is mono though)...

NOT a direct slide in replacement because there is no intercom in the KMA24. However, the current Molex connector that is currently inside the KMA24 is used as is.

If you go that route, I’d recommend the PMA7000BT.

The intention for the PMA7000M-BT was for the 1000’s of PMA6000M owners, which the 7000M-BT is a direct slide in unit.

Now an intercom harness has to be built and installed. 

You might also consider PMA8000BT. While the install will require re-pinning of the Molex connector to a high density connector, you’ll get advanced functions and hi-fi stereo. 

• Like 1

I was persuaded last year by a lot of peeps on here to go for the PMA450B.  Swapping out a KMA24 which i have used and loved since I hit puberty.  All i can say is OMG it is awesome.  Being able to have passengers in the back have their own conversations (like in Polish the other day) or listen to their own music.  I was particularly impressed that their were two Bluetooth channels called BT01 and 02. Nice touch O thought naming them British Telecom. It took a little while before it clicked “BlueTooth01”. Dumb Brit

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1