PS Engineering Trade-in & Trade-up with Avionics Source

On 12/21/2020 at 8:50 PM, RobertGary1 said:

I did the new PS system and total rewire to support stereo. Only complaint is the bluetooth music. There is a mute button right on the panel. But it doesn’t mute the music. It just changes the mute strategy none of which is to just stop the music. So you have to dig around for the phone to shut off the music.  

@Mscheuer beat me to it....

You can also just configure the PS system to mute the music to the pilot anytime ATC speaks.

7 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Yea but that’s not the same as stopping the music. Got to dig around in the plane for the phone to do that. Cant do it from the panel. 

Ah, got it. Yeah, probably not so important with music, but with podcasts or audiobooks, you don't want to miss the story when the audio panel mutes the entertainment for ATC. 

That would be a situation where the audio panel could control your iPhone, or have something like Apple Play. 

I use a small mount for my phone in the cockpit so it's where I can see it. Then the app I'm using usually has a "car" feature that displays a single big PLAY button so super easy to pause when ATC calls me.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Ah, got it. Yeah, probably not so important with music, but with podcasts or audiobooks, you don't want to miss the story when the audio panel mutes the entertainment for ATC. 

That would be a situation where the audio panel could control your iPhone, or have something like Apple Play. 

I use a small mount for my phone in the cockpit so it's where I can see it. Then the app I'm using usually has a "car" feature that displays a single big PLAY button so super easy to pause when ATC calls me.

If the BT was controlled like other sources where you could switch it on or off that would be easier imho. 

On 12/22/2020 at 1:47 PM, RobertGary1 said:

Usually that means I’m digging around in the seat trying to find the phone to stop the music. I wish there was a button on the panel. 

If you have an apple phone with the apple watch you can just stop the music with the watch. No need to dig for the phone. Can change songs too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will.iam said:

If you have an apple phone with the apple watch you can just stop the music with the watch. No need to dig for the phone. Can change songs too. 

True. I just find it hard to wrap my head around the audio panel has a user input source that can't be switched.

-Robert

28 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

True. I just find it hard to wrap my head around the audio panel has a user input source that can't be switched.

-Robert

Is there any audio panel that will do what you're trying to do? Or maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're trying to do. 

Let's see if I have this correct... You are playing music on your iPhone. The iPhone is connected to the Audio panel over Bluetooth. The Audio panel will Mute the music at the panel when ATC breaks in. You want the Audio panel to send a Pause signal back to the iPhone to Pause the music when it Mutes for ATC?

Is that correct? I know Apple products will do that like AirPods, but is there any Audio panel that has that functionality?

Thanks, I'm curious.

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

Is there any audio panel that will do what you're trying to do? Or maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're trying to do. 

Let's see if I have this correct... You are playing music on your iPhone. The iPhone is connected to the Audio panel over Bluetooth. The Audio panel will Mute the music at the panel when ATC breaks in. You want the Audio panel to send a Pause signal back to the iPhone to Pause the music when it Mutes for ATC?

Is that correct? I know Apple products will do that like AirPods, but is there any Audio panel that has that functionality?

Thanks, I'm curious.

I want the audio panel to stop bluetooth feed. If I hit the nav1 button on the audio panel I no longer hear the broadcast over the VOR. If I hit "comm2" I no longer hear the broadcast over com2. So I just want it to act like everything else.

Yes, every other audio panel I've used does allow you to switch off feeds. Seems to be a unique limit of PS Engineering. 

-Robert

Just now, RobertGary1 said:

If I"m on approach in heavy turb I find the music distracting. Last thing I want to do is fumble around for the iPhone to stop the music,

-Robert

If you hold the middle key on menu buttons on the audiopanel, it turns off the source for the pilot. Its a mute button. 

27 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

If I"m on approach in heavy turb I find the music distracting. Last thing I want to do is fumble around for the iPhone to stop the music,

-Robert

Well if you are in heavy turb then it would probably be harder and more distracting to take your eyes off the instruments and look over to the ps panel and then try to push the button in turbulent conditions than to raise your wrist with your apple watch and say “hey Siri stop music”

The MUTE button has three selections. Assuming the MUTE Green light is off, then NOTHING mutes the music for the pilot. 

Pressing the MUTE button once, the Green light turns on and the pilot hears in their headset the annunciation “Radio Mute”. This means  only the A/C Radio mutes the music the pilot is listening to.

Press the MUTE button again, the Green light remains ON and the pilot hears in their hears “Mute ON”, meaning both intercom and radio mutes the music.

Press the MUTE button again, the Green light turns off, the pilot will hear in their headset “Mute Off” and now nothing mutes the music.

Hopes this helps

Mark Scheuer

PS Engineering

Edited by Mscheuer
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mscheuer said:

When the green light is on in the MUTE button, the music will mute in one of 2 ways with the PMA8000BT:

1) Only a A/C Radio mutes the music the pilot is listening to

2) Both the intercom AND radio will mute the music

To change what mutes the music, follow these instructions:

Press and HOLD the MUTE button until you hear one of three audio announcements 

1) Mute Off

2) Radio Mute

3) Mute On (radio and intercom mutes the music for the pilot)

Hopes this helps

Mark Scheuer

PS Engineering

This right here is why you buy PS. I've only heard good things from their support. I only have good things to say about them in my experience.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

Just installed my shiny new PMA450B and was particularly excited to experience the Intelliaudio feature only to discover that it appears my airplane is wired for glorious mono sound.  Has anyone rewired their airplane for stereo?  How involved is it?

Welcome back to the mid 90s! :)

Where mono was everything...

Moving up to stereo... comes in multiple flavors...

If you want everyone to experience the luxury of stereo sound...

Picture rewiring each station with a few extra wires and sockets specific to stereo...

Put it in the plan for the day you have the interior out for antenna work and things like that...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 11:21 AM, BaldEagle said:

Just installed my shiny new PMA450B and was particularly excited to experience the Intelliaudio feature only to discover that it appears my airplane is wired for glorious mono sound.  Has anyone rewired their airplane for stereo?  How involved is it?

Well that was embarrassing.  Before you get your checkbook out and wheel your flying machine over to the avionics shop, check that the small DIP switch in your Lightspeed headset battery compartment is set to Stereo and not Mono (the factory default) to enjoy features like IntelliAudio.  Like the manual says so, in bold, that I was too lazy to consult.  The PMA450B is awesome, very highly recommended upgrade.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Just did this swap with my AP upgrade. Chase makes it super easy as per usual and the 450B is quite the upgrade from a GMA 340. Auto squelch is such a nice feature, no longer do I need to mess with millimeter changes for each new passenger. Dual BT is great, ForeFlight on one, Music on the other. The flexibility of being able to mute ATC for passengers or prevent music from muting for them is great. Intelliaudio is probably the most important thing here though, my ability to still hear approach but get the weather has increased ten fold.

Just make sure you swap all your headseats to stereo :D I did the same thing until I re read the manual.

• Like 3