Out of circuit breaker spots

bradp

After I finish this round of avionics and head towards the next upgrade, I’m wondering how to add additional circuit breakers to my panel.  I’ll be out of room that I’ll need for at least two more breakers. 

I see I have two options besides the maurader route (digital engine gauges and a beautiful sun tan salon).  

1. Fabricate another row and panel piece for an additional bus bar immediately below the lowest row of breakers. 

2. Add a couple of breaker switches to the left side of the panel somewhere. 

Thanks !

brad

I think I got my answer - quick.  Thanks guys.  I will be learning the brake bar (or perhaps a composite layup) later this week then.  I may be able to fabricate something that incorporates the headphone jack so it doesn’t go even further south in the panel (it currently sits under the CB panel).  Time to seek the opinion of the IA for his preference.   

+1 on sharing breakers...  lowest cost, slightly imperfect solution...

+1 on extending an additional bus bar and adding breakers... medium cost, OK solution...

Then look at the most modern Mooneys for how they have a primary and secondary bus bar for managing dual alternators and emergency situations...  great if you plan on going vacuum free.  Really makes sense if this is your forever plane.

Best regards,

-a-

Yes the reason I was asking is that I was going to need the CBs for the G5 HSI install.  The STC calls for separate CBs for the main components.  

I am going to tie a few together as I can except in a situation like this where an STC calls for an individual breaker. 

33 minutes ago, bradp said:

Yes the reason I was asking is that I was going to need the CBs for the G5 HSI install.  The STC calls for separate CBs for the main components.  

I am going to tie a few together as I can except in a situation like this where an STC calls for an individual breaker. 

I'm trying to understand what everyone is talking about with tying together CBs. It sounds like if you have 2 devices that each pulls 5 amps you just tie them together to (I assume) a 10 amp CB.

If this is what everyone is meaning, it is a terrible idea. Here's the scenario:  component A is rated to 5A, but goes hay-wire and starts to pull 9 amps. The CB doesn't pop but the wiring is only rated for 5A. Wires overheat and you get a nice electrical fire right above your knees throwing out a lot of smoke from 40 year old wiring. No thanks and not legal. 

If I'm misunderstanding, please explain. 

I have whole separate row of CBs just below the co pilot panel. Hopefully I'll remember to take a picture tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I think I’m going to tie a FS-210 to an existing GDL-69A circuit breaker.  Both are low draw (combined doesn’t exceed CB rating), wiring is rated for current and if I trip and loose both I’m ok with that. 

There are plenty of examples of multiple devices on the same circuit breaker from the factory ...

Examples are “instruments”, “lights” and “ignition / cigarette lighter” in my plane.  As long as the wiring is appropriately rated and the combined draw of the devices does not exceed that of the breaker or total electrical load, I don’t see how this is problematic.  I’ll have to review chapter 11 tonight. 

4 hours ago, bradp said:

I think I’m going to tie a FS-210 to an existing GDL-69A circuit breaker.  Both are low draw (combined doesn’t exceed CB rating), wiring is rated for current and if I trip and loose both I’m ok with that. 

There are plenty of examples of multiple devices on the same circuit breaker from the factory ...

Good example with the FS-210 and GDL- I'd probably do the same thing based on your description.

As for the factory, they proved the safety of the design to the FAA so they could get the Type Certificate.  As an example, how many people in 1962 were starting their engine while simultaneously lighting their cigarette? :)

Why not just use a fuse holder and fuse for the items that either have an On/Off switch like an intercom or are inconsequential , like a clock?  The GDL-69 probably falls into the same category.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2017 at 10:32 AM, bradp said:

After I finish this round of avionics and head towards the next upgrade, I’m wondering how to add additional circuit breakers to my panel.  I’ll be out of room that I’ll need for at least two more breakers. 

I see I have two options besides the maurader route (digital engine gauges and a beautiful sun tan salon).  

1. Fabricate another row and panel piece for an additional bus bar immediately below the lowest row of breakers. 

2. Add a couple of breaker switches to the left side of the panel somewhere. 

Thanks !

brad

You need to open up that CB wallet of yours and spend a little ;) 

Before:59c970ecef0c4_CockpitFarRight.thumb.jpg.1e010b1529e07dc2b13dbbcd9a15a0c4.jpg

After:DSCF0137.thumb.jpg.1108e3b50e2b88be55385c54829d99f2.jpg

DSCF0067.thumb.JPG.f200310a593f91776f037584e6448bd3.JPG

15 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

That looks like a lot of extra work to gain 1 Circuit breaker. 

It's actually 5 more breakers. The two upper right breakers were squeezed into the panel. It also brought the existing breakers a little further away from the skin. This later shot shows more of them filled in.

• Like 2

Shit you not his 11,437 hour airplane is straighter than my 5200 hour airplane. We parked them side by side and looked them over real good. 

This was after the paint job. Blue was the first to see it. Anyway maybe the guy who built mine was hung over or his old lady left him or something, because hand built means hand built. 

Edited by jetdriven

One of the planes I missed out on but wished I had gotten my hands on was a 10k plus hour green J model that a jimmy Garrison was selling.  It was maintained by Dmax and flown almost daily by someone who used it as Texas commuter.  Pretty awesome.