Oil Change, what are you using

McMooney

Welp, since i'm not flying this weekend, figure it's time to learn how to change the Oil.

currently the plane uses phillips xc 20w50 but thinking of switching to elite 20w50 with the Lycoming additive.

what type of oil are you guys using?

also, what is the part number of the oil filter?  

Oh yeah, my plane 1974 M20E -- N7106v.

Edited by McMooney

• Aeroshell W-100 with CamGuard year round. (Preheat engine in NC winter.)
  • Target to change @ 25-35 hours,
  • New spin on filter and check screen,
  • sample to Blackstone Labs. (sample report attached)  
  • Tempest oil filter - AA48110-2 torque per filter instruction 16-18 ftlb. (New style spin on filters do not get DC4 lube.)

N943RW-170908.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

Oil? If you don't put oil in your plane, it can't leak. Something to think about.... emoji848.png

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yup! Liquids and air can and do leak. This should logically apply to no fuel in the tanks and no air in the tires! :D

• Like 1

Aeroshell W100+ here in GA as well.

My first engine went to 2400 hours (and was running well when replaced) on W100.  Other oils may be better, but 2400 trouble free hours is a strong endorsement that W100 is "good enough"....at least in the Georgia environment.

From the home page, click Downloads then Safety and Techniques for a PowerPoint of changing the oil in my C, which should be identical to your E. Simple, easy, no muss no fuss method that works with whatever you care to pour in.  :D  And the only rags / paper towels used are for your hands when you are finished.

53 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Just curious.  Any idea why your oil samples consistently show calcium high and phosphorus low in comparison to the universal averages?  Mine is the same.

The high calcium is due to the CamGuard. (I just tried to find my email exchange with Blackstone on this matter but haven't.) 

Phosphorus usually comes from "common anti-wear additives in engine oil" per Blackstone's explanation sheet. Sine I use W100 and not W100plus I believe the additives in the Plus and other goosed up oils in their universe datbase include phosphorus. @kortopates?

I went to a fine engineering school that offered degrees in chemistry, chemical engineering, and mechanical engineering. But I did not follow those paths, they all had afternoon labs that interfered with my golf game. (I studied math - no labs since that was pre-computer science.)

So I do not know much about oil, oil additives, or metallurgy. 2 prop strikes occasioned 2 IRAN tear downs, less than 100 hours apart. Both inspections revealed deteriorating cam/lifters. (The first engine shop had recommended Phillips multi-grade.) I'm probably smart enough but I'm definitely not educated enough to know what goes on to cause premature cam/lifter failures. So reinforced by @jetdriven's much more informed disdain for what we're working with I've followed Busch's preference for single weight, non-synthetic oil. And having heard CamGuard's presentation a couple of times at Summit, I returned to Aeroshell W100 with CamGuard and believe that combo gives me the best chance is this lottery since I fly only about 75 hours per year and sometimes the plane goes several weeks without flying. (I send a sample to Blackstone at every oil change and personally examine the screen and cut and inspect the oil filter.

• Like 1

Ahh, an oil thread.  I'll be doing an oil change on mine tomorrow, and I'll be using whatever aviation oil is sitting in my hangar. What I haven't figured out is why I don't purchase the best synthetic automotive oil I can buy at the auto parts store. My thinking is that it'll probably be better than the most expensive aviation oil, which is probably cheap motor oil rebranded for airplanes.

Any thoughts on why I'm so misguided?

4 minutes ago, steingar said:

Ahh, an oil thread.  I'll be doing an oil change on mine tomorrow, and I'll be using whatever aviation oil is sitting in my hangar. What I haven't figured out is why I don't purchase the best synthetic automotive oil I can buy at the auto parts store. My thinking is that it'll probably be better than the most expensive aviation oil, which is probably cheap motor oil rebranded for airplanes.

Any thoughts on why I'm so misguided?

Both Mike Busch, John Deakin and others have written on why synthetic oil isn't a good idea in our aircraft engines.

• Like 3