Thinking about airpark property

MIm20c

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

Looks like I need to decide if grass runways are an option I’m willing to consider.  I would think a 2500-3000 foot strip should be more than enough for my C.  However, with hot temperatures and wet softer ground it might use a high percentage of it. 

5 minutes ago, 82Mike said:

You know I always laugh at the touch and go posts that come and go.  T&G is not any harder in a Mooney than any other plane.  That being said short grass field?  No thanks.  I like pavement and I really like at least 3500 feet of it.  I just don't like forcing it on to the run way.  Anything short of say 2800 and you are 65 over the numbers to really do it right.  Whited in St. Pete feels that way as it is like 2800 with water at both ends. But!  It is paved!

I used to visit a 2000' grass strip, but I moved 3 Mooney hours south . . . It wasn't hard going in or out, but I never tried it heavy.

When I go to the beach with my wife's family, the nearest field is 3500' grass, and I've never seen the end of it despite the displaced threshhold (due to tall pine trees and power lines), despite flying in with gear for a week, or taking cousins for a ride and coming back with full fuel.

But then again, I got my license, bought my Mooney and was based for seven years at a 3000' field with trees at both ends; at the preferred end, trees blocked the REILs and numbers, and we just leveled off at 150 agl until we could see them before descending on short final, but the other end had a displaced threshhold of ~300' because the trees were closer.

It's all what you are used to. Had I learned at the nearby 6500' Class D, both of these fields would have scared me away . . . screaming!

A 2k' long runway requires everything to be working properly all the time... including the pilot's decision maker.

A lot of simple decision making is done by getting off the ground at the halfway point....

On a 2k' long runway, the abort decision doesn't leave much room to get shut down...

Coming from my O experience, of course...

Having 201er's AOAi would be a personal requirement...

Best regards,

-a-

57 minutes ago, 82Mike said:

You know I always laugh at the touch and go posts that come and go.  T&G is not any harder in a Mooney than any other plane.  That being said short grass field?  No thanks.  I like pavement and I really like at least 3500 feet of it.  I just don't like forcing it on to the run way.  Anything short of say 2800 and you are 65 over the numbers to really do it right.  Whited in St. Pete feels that way as it is like 2800 with water at both ends. But!  It is paved!

A few times a year I fly into Everglades City (also with water on both sides) during stone crab season,  and it is 2,400 and don't find it a problem. However, I know exactly how I should be positioned when reaching the numbers from the height to my speed to the sink rate, and if it's not right on the money it's time to pick it up and try again.

8 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

A few times a year I fly into Everglades City (also with water on both sides) during stone crab season,  and it is 2,400 and don't find it a problem. However, I know exactly how I should be positioned when reaching the numbers from the height to my speed to the sink rate, and if it's not right on the money it's time to pick it up and try again.

Mmmmm stone crabs, poor clawless delicious bastards 

18 hours ago, Hank said:

Have you thought about something like this? 

Yes, exactly. You make this one 40' instead of 24' and just tack the hangar on the back. The problem is the building restrictions. I found out that Pilot's Ridge requires 1800 sf of living space (exclusive of hangar) minimum.

14x24B.jpg

Living at the Falmouth Airpark, Cape Cod currently.  2300 foot paved runway with lights, additional grass strip next to it.  Fuel on the field, no approaches, but some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.  Nice homes and even a couple of empty lots yet to be sold by their current owners. Some of the lowest HOA fees in the country.  I can mail you a brochure if you like.

3 hours ago, HRM said:

Yes, exactly. You make this one 40' instead of 24' and just tack the hangar on the back. The problem is the building restrictions. I found out that Pilot's Ridge requires 1800 sf of living space (exclusive of hangar) minimum.

14x24B.jpg

I wonder if you could set it up as a duplex?  Two individuals could split the cost and build a slightly larger hanger that could fit two planes. 

22 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

5GA2 is where my plane may have met its maker two weeks ago (the jury is still out). The  turf field is 1,800 feet long with a 600 foot displaced threshold, not exactly what I would call a great strip to get in and out of. How long did it take you to master Lee?

Incident6.jpg

Those are big trees. No sign of hard braking. 

José

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dooleypster said:

Living at the Falmouth Airpark, Cape Cod currently.  2300 foot paved runway with lights, additional grass strip next to it.  Fuel on the field, no approaches, but some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.  Nice homes and even a couple of empty lots yet to be sold by their current owners. Some of the lowest HOA fees in the country.  I can mail you a brochure if you like.

@dooleypster I mentioned this thread to my wife... said I would like to live at the airport...

She asked if I meant 5B6?  :)

My parents had a place a mile South, under the traffic pattern.  Grandparents were about a mile East, under the traffic pattern...

Best regards,

-a-

No way would I operate a Mooney out of a turf strip.  Soft ground, gopher holes, all kinds of things make prop strikes.  I'm nervy about landing on one.  Hell, I just about had an infarction taxiing on the grass at Oshkosh.   I don't mind short, but no way turf.

Then again, if I was really intent on operating off turf I'd probably get a different aircraft.  Perhaps in my retirement, retired people don' have to be in a hurry, right?  Then again, I'd really hate to fly anything but a Mooney.

• Haha 1

A well maintained, well used turf strip, won't have gopher holes or any other holes. I know a couple of Mooneys here in central Texas that live on grass strips. A well maintained grass strip would likely be good for a Mooney. The tires would sure last longer.

There have been a couple of examples on this board of prop strikes on paved ramps by taxiing through a pot hole on a poorly maintained ramp. I'm always nervous about taxiing into a set of chocks that always seem to be left out on the ramp at KHYI where I'm based. On an after mid-night arrival a few weeks ago, I was carefully navigating the ramp after the airport had closed and the ramp was very dark. I pulled into a parking space and just as I was coming to a stop, I felt the plane hit something. I shut down and got out to see I had parked perfectly with one of the mains right up against a set of chocks. I was glad those chocks weren't on the row behind that I'd just rolled through.

Mooney on Turf:  

There are old, light Mooneys with no inner gear doors.  Like my C, which felt right at home on decent grass. 

Then there are newer, heavier Mooney planes like my Ovation which has (typically) 800 pounds more weight than the C on the same tire footprints, inner gear doors dragging in the weeds, and never seemed nearly as happy on grass.  

Then there are Carbon Cubs on 30" tundra tires.....

39 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Mooney on Turf:  

There are old, light Mooneys with no inner gear doors.  Like my C, which felt right at home on decent grass. 

Then there are newer, heavier Mooney planes like my Ovation which has (typically) 800 pounds more weight than the C on the same tire footprints, inner gear doors dragging in the weeds, and never seemed nearly as happy on grass.  

Then there are Carbon Cubs on 30" tundra tires.....

This is a large consideration because I have family with that size aircraft. Might be a little too heavy for turf. 

Also this will be a extended weekend retreat where I might be pushing hard to get back and forth. Might be less stressful for a reasonable length paved runway with the family on board. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2017 at 9:03 PM, 82Mike said:

I'm with you. But it's just not how I fly. I'm usually ifr and going somewhere. Prop striking our rocket is not particularly high on my list of things to do. However I really want to go to North Captiva. With no obstructions I think I can drag it in about 80 knots and be just fine.

5 hours ago, peevee said:

I'm with you. But it's just not how I fly. I'm usually ifr and going somewhere. Prop striking our rocket is not particularly high on my list of things to do. However I really want to go to North Captiva. With no obstructions I think I can drag it in about 80 knots and be just fine.

Load the baggage compartment to the max.  Helps a lot on grass with the Rocket!

Tom