Thinking about airpark property

MIm20c

Thinking about airpark living lately. Current plan is to research over the next few years and rent in a lot of different areas to see what works for the family.  Ideally I’ll be looking for a modest house with a hanger on the property for the plane when I’m there and a trailered boat/car when I’m away. 

I'm looking for advice from those that enjoy or have reservations about property they own and live in part time or full. 

• Like 1

In my own limited research, "modest home" and "airpark home" are in different universes. Once i saw that, I quit looking, so your experience may well be different. Let us know what you find, it may only be a difference in definition of "modest."

• Like 1

Here is a nice hangar and RV (toy) parking garage that happens to have a modest house attached :P. Isn't the hangar more important.    I have a lot on the same airport.  All depends on what your definition of "modest" is and what part of the country you wish to live in.   Yes, if you are addicted to flying then living on an airport can make a great place to live among other addicts.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1135-W-4390-S_Hurricane_UT_84737_M23803-74599?ex=UT608272960

• Like 1

I moved to Florida, 7FL6 about 10 years ago and really enjoying Spruce Creek. The Creek has about 1600 properties including hangar homes, condos, golf course homes and commercial hangars. The 4000 ft X 175 ft runway was just repaved about a month ago. Spruce Creek also has a nice 18 hole golf course if you play golf. The airport has a GPS approach, 2 self serve pumps 100LL and Jet A. PM me if you need more info.

Buddy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, peevee said:

What part of the country?

I’m thinking of mountains or oceans. Idaho and Oregon peak my interest but my wife likes the warmth to escape the Michigan winters. 

26 minutes ago, Hank said:

In my own limited research, "modest home" and "airpark home" are in different universes. Once i saw that, I quit looking, so your experience may well be different. Let us know what you find, it may only be a difference in definition of "modest."

I’m looking for a good value. Not planning on chasing values that have doubled in the last decade.  

2 minutes ago, buddy said:

I moved to Florida, 7FL6 about 10 years ago and really enjoying Spruce Creek. The Creek has about 1600 properties including hangar homes, condos, golf course homes and commercial hangars. The 4000 ft X 175 ft runway was just repaved about a month ago. Spruce Creek also has a nice 18 hole golf course if you play golf. The airport has a GPS approach, 2 self serve pumps 100LL and Jet A. PM me if you need more info.

Buddy

In my research Spruce is definitely on the list and we have family in that area. My issue with many airparks is I’m not a fan of golf.  I’m not planning on playing and don’t want to support the grounds. 

We moved to C77 in May. We have a modest house (2400ftsq), an 800 ftsq shop and a 3000 ftsq hanger. All attached. $366K
I LOVE living on an airpark, but ours is more like KOSH all year. Very active EAA chapter. Many vintage airplanes, the occasional B-17 flyover. Just a couple days ago we had a Ford Trimotor do a low pass.
It's great to be able to have the plane close!
I'm with you on the golf. Many airparks are snooty. Not my cup of tea. There are good ones out there though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I’m thinking of mountains or oceans. Idaho and Oregon peak my interest but my wife likes the warmth to escape the Michigan winters. 

Independence airpark near salem is one of the best in the country.... they say anyway. It's a nice area.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/7S5

I'm not sure OR is the most advantageous state to live in tax wise, but it's a nice state.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, peevee said:

Independence airpark near salem is one of the best in the country.... they say anyway. It's a nice area.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/7S5

I'm not sure OR is the most advantageous state to live in tax wise, but it's a nice state.

I live near 7s5 and know a couple people who live there.  I never asked about details, but they seemed to enjoy it.  There's no golf course either.  The houses go from not-so-modest to not-quite-excessive.  Prices seem to be in the $275k - $550k range.  Huge EAA chapter on the field, and a ton of RV's since Van's is up in UAO about 30 miles away.

I've never considered it because of where I work, but it's a nice fantasy.  I imagine the biggest drawback is no instrument approaches on the really bad weather days here, but that actually happens less often then most people think--ceilings in the Willamette Valley are generally 2000-5000 AGL when it is raining, so you can do an approach to nearby SLE or CVO and then scud run home.

Income and property taxes in OR are relatively high, but remember, no sales tax.  That's huge if you buy a plane :)  Overall, I think OR ends up in the middle in terms of tax burden.

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I live near 7s5 and know a couple people who live there.  I never asked about details, but they seemed to enjoy it.  There's no golf course either.  The houses go from not-so-modest to not-quite-excessive.  Prices seem to be in the $275k - $550k range.  Huge EAA chapter on the field, and a ton of RV's since Van's is up in UAO about 30 miles away.

I've never considered it because of where I work, but it's a nice fantasy.  I imagine the biggest drawback is no instrument approaches on the really bad weather days here, but that actually happens less often then most people think--ceilings in the Willamette Valley are generally 2000-5000 AGL when it is raining, so you can do an approach to nearby SLE or CVO and then scud run home.

I used to practice there back in the 90's when I flew out of MMV. As you said you've got SLE, CVO, and MMV there all with ILS approaches should it be necessary. Maybe some day they'll get a GPS LPV approach. It was a smallish community back then, but I haven't been back in 20 years so I imagine it's grown a bunch.

Just now, peevee said:

I used to practice there back in the 90's when I flew out of MMV. As you said you've got SLE, CVO, and MMV there all with ILS approaches should it be necessary. Maybe some day they'll get a GPS LPV approach.

Considering the recent brouhaha with the SLE airspace, I'm guessing that will be a long time coming :(

Just now, jaylw314 said:

I imagine the biggest drawback is no instrument approaches on the really bad weather days here, 

We have no approved instrument approach to our community, but we have an airport with several approaches 8 miles away.  Unless the weather is really low (below my personal minimums!), we just fly the approach until we break out and then divert to our home-drome.  Works 90% of the time depending on the type of airspace involved.  I don't think having an approved approach is that big a deal when you have options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Hank, anyone with a wife is going to be forced into an "immodest home".  Most of us would be perfectly happy to live in our hangars....it's those darn wives!  They push up the cost of everything.

Guess which one is a husband hangar and which is a wife hangar....?

wife hangar.jpg

husband hangar.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Thinking about airpark living lately. Current plan is to research over the next few years and rent in a lot of different areas to see what works for the family.  Ideally I’ll be looking for a modest house with a hanger on the property for the plane when I’m there and a trailered boat/car when I’m away. 

I'm looking for advice from those that enjoy or have reservations about property they own and live in part time or full. 

As a fellow Michigander I had a wife that wanted a winter home where it is WARM.  Like Buddy, we have a home on 7FL6, Spruce Creek.  You can find homes in the same range as some have quoted above, but need to be watching closely and regularly to find them when they come up for sale in that price range.  The Association fees are $1400 a year, but considering we are on probably the largest airpark in the world (600 airplanes based there, 1400 homes) with full security and the association fees cover both the runway costs AND the security, I feel they are very reasonable.  There is no state income tax in Florida, and a decent homestead property tax break for Florida residents (of which I DON'T qualify for) so ownership there can be pretty reasonable.  Unfortunately, Volusia County feels we got too GOOD of a break on my purchase, and we are fighting a 13% increase in our property taxes this year (hearing in late October).   Absence of that issue, we love our winter home at Spruce Creek.

Tom

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

We have no approved instrument approach to our community, but we have an airport with several approaches 8 miles away.  Unless the weather is really low (below my personal minimums!), we just fly the approach until we break out and then divert to our home-drome.  Works 90% of the time depending on the type of airspace involved.  I don't think having an approved approach is that big a deal when you have options.

Come on, no instrument approach there?  What are you going to say next, that your using a turf runway???  You can't fly a Mooney off grass, it will ruin the airplane ;-)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

.  Unfortunately, Volusia County feels we got too GOOD of a break on my purchase, and we are fighting a 13% increase in our property taxes this year (hearing in late October).   Absence of that issue, we love our winter home at Spruce Creek.

Tom

Tom,

what I'd give for 13% I bought a place on lake Charlevoix Mi and your great state doubled my property tax. Maybe it's  because They send the bill to Ohio, but boy 13% seems like a bargain.

Lawrence