Fire extinguishers

Browncbr1

Aircraft Fire Extinguishers

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Aircraft_Fire_Extinguishing_Systems

Another reason not to light up a cigar in the lavatory

Lighting Farts on Fire - The Blue Flame

Human flatus may contain hydrogen gas and/or methane, which are flammable. If sufficient amounts of these gases are present, it's possible to light the fart on fire. Keep in mind, not all farts are flammable. Although flatus has great YouTube fame for producing a blue flame, it turns out only about half of people have the archaea (bacteria) in their bodies that are necessary to produce methane.

If you don't make methane, you may still be able to ignite your farts (a dangerous practice!), but the flame will be yellow or possibly orange rather than blue.

Edited by Piloto

• 11 months later...

Reviving a thread that ended on a sour note..

A sharp-eyed IA noticed on last annual that my Halon fire extinguisher is pointing at the very low end of the "green" arc, and suggested either refilling or purchasing a new one.  I asked a firefighter friend if he knew where to get a Halon fire extinguisher "topped off" and he had no idea.

I actually have no clue whether bottom of the green means it's at 99% capacity, or at 50% capacity, but it feels like tempting fate to keep flying around with a questionable safety item.  It looks like I can buy a new one for about $200.  What's the right thing to do here?  Replace with a new Halon unit?  Try to find a place that can do the hydrostatic test and refill?  Buy a Halotron replacement?

6 hours ago, toto said:

Reviving a thread that ended on a sour note..

A sharp-eyed IA noticed on last annual that my Halon fire extinguisher is pointing at the very low end of the "green" arc, and suggested either refilling or purchasing a new one.  I asked a firefighter friend if he knew where to get a Halon fire extinguisher "topped off" and he had no idea.

I actually have no clue whether bottom of the green means it's at 99% capacity, or at 50% capacity, but it feels like tempting fate to keep flying around with a questionable safety item.  It looks like I can buy a new one for about $200.  What's the right thing to do here?  Replace with a new Halon unit?  Try to find a place that can do the hydrostatic test and refill?  Buy a Halotron replacement?

The data plate on the extinguisher should also list the minimum weight. Does it meet that?

Clarence

Call the local fire extinguisher people, most cities have them, they should be able to point you to someone who can service it if they can't. Then compare the quote to a replacement.

My shop used to send my out every annual for a quick inspection. It wasn’t much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Robinson helicopters use a small 3 or 4 oz Halon. 135 operators need to weigh it every month and sign it off because extinguishers don't fall under FAA rules they fall under DOT rules that the FAA mandates (pressure vessels) be followed for 135.  Might be a good place to look.

Halon kills fires by displacing O2, If the airflow around the fire is high enough you may not be able to put the fire out. As mentioned it also displaces YOUR O2 for breathing. Once the O2 returns to the area if the temperature of the fire area is still hot enough it will reignite. As also mentioned, dry chemical will be hard to breathe through. No easy solutions in a small cabin.

8 hours ago, neilpilot said:

A common misconception.....Halon does not "displace the O2 ", but actually works by chemically reacting with the fire triangle to extinguish the fire.

YUP I guess what I was taught by the fire department years ago was not the whole enchilada. Looked it  up and got educated. Learn something new every day. 

1 minute ago, cliffy said:

YUP I guess what I was taught by the fire department years ago was not the whole enchilada. Looked it  up and got educated. Learn something new every day. 

Many of my years in the chemical industry were spent manufacturing chlorofluorocarbons, not Halon but similar compounds.